SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2017, 07:36 AM   #1
ryan_ion
ryan_ion has a spectacular aura aboutryan_ion has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default Goodbye....and thanks!

On Friday, I was involved in a pretty major accident... A pickup truck ran a stop sign at an intersection while I was traveling through at 55mph. I had to be extracted by the fire department. Six broken ribs, broken collarbone, bruised lung seems to be the extent of the damage. I should be leaving the hospital either this Friday or Saturday after a surgery to stabilize my ribs..

On my next car, I want two things-
1) adjustable lumbar support on the seats
2) side impact air bags

I am not going to have the time or energy to take my usual time in scouring craigslist. Any recommendations to replace my favorite car? Hoping to find a good value, nothing too fancy. Leaning towards trying a mazda 3/6 or toyota corolla\camry, but a wagon would be nice too .

Thanks for all of the help and advice-- I learned so much on this forum, and spent much quality time with my ion.

I think I will pass on another ion-- my former had new wheel bearings, control arm bushings (a few times..), end links, etc.. and I know buying a used one would almost certainly require at least $500-800 to get those issues fixed at some point in the near future, seems kind of silly to buy a 10 year old car for around $3000.

2007 Saturn Ion 2- Totaled @ 120K miles and dearly missed.
...control arm bushings(x3), wheel bearings, end links, axle seal, intermediate shaft... but still the original battery!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ryan_ion's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ryan_ion reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ryan_ion is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2017, 08:00 AM   #2
Dsaturn
Dsaturn is a jewel in the roughDsaturn is a jewel in the roughDsaturn is a jewel in the rough

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Goodbye....and thanks!

Glad to hear you are OK.

You can not go wrong with a Subaru. One of the safest cars on the road and they hold their value for years.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dsaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dsaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dsaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 10:14 AM   #3
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Call or send a text and let know if I can be of any help. I'm sorry that this happened to you, but glad that it wasn't more serious.

287,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 05:21 PM   #4
Tethys
Advanced Member
Tethys is on a distinguished road

Glad to read you're going to pull through after that crash, Ryan. I replaced my '06 Ion with another Delta platform car - a 2015 Buick Verano.

Since Buick pulled the plug on this model, there are 2017s, 2016s and possibly some leftover 15s still out there and most should be heavily discounted since sedans aren't wanted amid the SUV/CUV craze.

I wouldn't be surprised if most of the lower trims (Leather, Convenience or Base) are well under $20K at this point. Those trims come with the 2.4L engine and six-speed auto standard; its performance would be similar to the Ion's but with possibly better highway MPG thanks to the extra gear. If your budget can support it, you could also look for a '15 or '16 Premium model with the 2L turbo. (There are no '17 turbos).

While it doesn't have a lumbar seat adjustment, the front seats are infinitely more comfy than either of my previous Ions' buckets. I'd rank this seat on par with my SL2's Lear bucket but with extra points because the Verano's front seats are heated. All Veranos come with 10 airbags, too.

2015 Buick Verano Turbo
5 - 2006 Ion 3 Sedan, Manual, Storm Grey
4 - 2004 Ion 2 Sedan, Manual, Electric Blue
3 - 1996 SL2 Manual, Medium Red
2 - 1991 SL1 Manual, White
1 - 1991 SL Manual, Grey

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tethys's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tethys reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tethys is offline   Reply With Quote