SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2017, 06:50 PM   #1
Rob ion
Rob ion is on a distinguished road

Default Stuck key replaced btsi

So key has been sticking in acc so I replaced the btsi to no avail. The lock cylinder has been replaced. So what else could it be?? The button under the steering wheel is already in when it locks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rob ion's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rob ion reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Rob ion is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2017, 07:46 PM   #2
Rob ion

Default Re: Stuck key replaced btsi

Is there an ignition switch

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Rob ion reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-23-2017, 12:47 AM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Ignition switch is separate from lock cylinder. One controls the electrical system, the other controls a mechanical lock. While the lock cylinder is new, the old and possibly worn out key may be the problem. Did you have a new set of keys made from GM? Its recommended to have GM make keys and not from worn ones.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 04:21 PM   #4
Rob ion

I have a spare key I can try. It looks a lot sharper than the other key, so why not. If I don't start it it will let me turn it from lock to run and back no problem. The fact the little button under the steering wheel goes in like it is supposed to tells me the btsi must be working, right??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-23-2017, 05:15 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

The Brake Transmission Switch Interlock (BTSI) is to prevent shifting out of Park position if the brake pedal isn't depressed while the engine's running. This safety feature came about from the Audi 5000 when drivers couldn't tell the difference between brake and gas pedal. The suddenly drove across streets, into garages at full speed, into in-ground pools, etc., blaming the Audi for being possessed. After a full investigation by the NHTSA, it was determined "pedal misapplication" was the cause of these accidents. Audi was the first to design the Park/brake interlock to prevent accelerating when shifting out of Park position with the brake pedal applied before the shift lever can move.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-24-2017, 06:45 PM   #6
Rob ion

So the newer key didn't work. How much is the switch? Why will it let me have the key if I don't start it, but it gives me a fit if I do start it. The button under the steering wheel is in.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-24-2017, 08:11 PM   #7
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Update your profile otherwise we play twenty questions. Year, model, etc..

I don't know about ignition lock cylinders but according to '05 procedures, removing the lock cylinder requires depressing two retainers (buttons?) in a certain way to remove the lock cylinder in RUN position. Presuming the reverse when installing a replacement lock cylinder with the retainer(s) popping out to secure the lock cylinder in place.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (97.0 KB, 2 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-24-2017, 08:15 PM   #8
Rob ion

Sorry. Saturn ion 2.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-24-2017, 09:18 PM   #9
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Updating your profile; click on User CP, click on Edit Your Details and add car info in Additional Info. Your car stats appear under your name.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-28-2017, 07:35 PM   #10
Rob ion

So another oddball thing. I unplugged the radio fuse and now the btsi doesn't work. You can shift from park without the key in. The plunger is not moving. I know it is still plugged in because the light under the shifter still works. Oh, and it still won't give me the key all of the time. It is better since I oiled the cylinder. Can you oil the switch? Could it be the brake switch? The brake lights work.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-29-2017, 03:51 PM   #11
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

At this point of second guessing repairs, I think you should consider taking this problem to either GM or shop to figure out what's wrong. You're confusing the purpose of the btsi with lock cylinder operation.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-24-2017, 05:04 PM   #12
Rob ion

So, I finally took apart the column to look at the lock cylinder. The lever on the solenoid on the lock cylinder housing was missing the roll pin in the pivot. So I removed the plunger and now it works fine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-30-2017, 05:49 PM   #13
Rob ion

So yes, you can take the key out going down the road, but I don't care.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-30-2017, 10:27 PM   #14
bern
Advanced Member
bern is just really nicebern is just really nicebern is just really nicebern is just really nicebern is just really nice

2006 VUE 3.5L
2004 ION-2 Sedan

You can also remove the key without the trans in park. This is not a problem as long as when the car rolls across the street though the neighbors garage into the in-ground pool, know one is ran over and you don't mind driving a submarine.

Or you can just replace the ignition lock housing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bern's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bern reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 05:55 PM   #15
Rob ion

So, I fixed the lock cylinder solenoid and the btsi in the shifter console. Now you can't shift without your foot on the brake or take the key out unless you are in park yay! The pin in the lock cylinder solenoid kept falling out. So I just put some Quick Steel under it and it ain't going anywhere now!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!