SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2017, 10:03 AM   #1
saturnmommy
saturnmommy has a spectacular aura aboutsaturnmommy has a spectacular aura aboutsaturnmommy has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL1
Default power steering pump rattle sounds

1997 saturn sl1 SOHC. Ok, I still have this loud grinding-vibrating sound and it sounds like its coming from the power steering pump area or the pully on the pump. The noise happens when you are in drive usually with with foot on the brake like at a red light or waiting to leave the driveway (does it in reverse sometimes) but while driving its not there. Now it gets louder when my fan comes on while sitting in drive thru or in traffic, etc.. When the car is in park it does not make this noise. Any ideas on if the power steering pump/pully could be bad and cause this loud loud noise? Also noticed that when getting up to around 55 and over the car steering shakes which also makes me think its that darn power steering pump going bad. We have a new one and hubby is determined to replace it but need to know if that sounds like the problem to anyone? How much of a pain is changing out the pump and pully if you have done it on this car before??

Thanks everyone once again for any help and advice.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnmommy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnmommy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2017, 03:14 PM   #2
rb6667
Advanced Member
rb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to behold

2004 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2004 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default Re: power steering pump rattle sounds

Sounds like the pump main shaft bearing is shot. They will make all sorts of noises when they are on the way out. Pump replacement would be in order.

2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2 218K Miles
2004 L Series Wagon 2.2 68K Miles
2004 L-Series Wagon 3.0 48K Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rb6667's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rb6667 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rb6667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 03:35 PM   #3
saturnmommy
saturnmommy has a spectacular aura aboutsaturnmommy has a spectacular aura aboutsaturnmommy has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL1

Just got the darn thing out, what a pain in the ass since the books all suck and the pulley is a booger to get off. Now the bolts were mixed up so have to figure out where they go and none will go in the holes right. I am going to be a widow if my husband does not stop fussing at me and then I will just pay to have it towed and worked on by a mechanic!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help saturnmommy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-19-2017, 03:45 PM   #4
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

1st time on these is tons of fun. Half the holes are threaded, half are through holes to a bracket...the pulley is pressed on and if you go by the joke book (Chiltons/Haynes) you're doing the lines the hard way and leaving them in the car

Need a 18mm crow foot brake line wrench (only paid ~$20 for mine at Napa...maybe prices have just gone up that much) to take the lines off at the rack, once they're off on that end the pump comes up/out nice & easy and you can get to the lines on the back side of that at your leisure.

If it's at all an option the early, pre-'94, models have a steel pulley for the power steering...no fears of that baby blowing up into interesting shapes around the engine bay

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 09:34 PM   #5
saturnmommy

1997 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
1st time on these is tons of fun. Half the holes are threaded, half are through holes to a bracket...the pulley is pressed on and if you go by the joke book (Chiltons/Haynes) you're doing the lines the hard way and leaving them in the car

Need a 18mm crow foot brake line wrench (only paid ~$20 for mine at Napa...maybe prices have just gone up that much) to take the lines off at the rack, once they're off on that end the pump comes up/out nice & easy and you can get to the lines on the back side of that at your leisure.

If it's at all an option the early, pre-'94, models have a steel pulley for the power steering...no fears of that baby blowing up into interesting shapes around the engine bay
I wish mine was a steel pulley because plastic stinks! That said of course mine is plastic being a 97 sl1. We got the lines back on finally with a little help from my pops, now we have to get all those dang bolts back in because those ar e a pain to get lined up and into the holes without cross threading them. They also in those crappy books don't tell you about that lovely 4th bolt at the bottom because that was a surprise and a pain. Next time I hope we will remember how to properly do it all. Now I just hope that we did not put the pulley back on too tight/close because they are press on and we got it flush just like the old one but it still feels a little tight. Guess we will see when we put on the belt and start her up tomorrow. I hope this fixes my rattle/vibration noise and the shake in my steering when hitting 55 and above.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-20-2017, 09:16 AM   #6
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia

2001 SL1

I don't know but that shaking may be something in the steering rack OR unrelated as in a lost wheel weight. Even if one tire has fix-a-flat goop in it or a bad tire. Could rotate tires and see if the shaking goes away.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote