SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2017, 12:13 PM   #1
dylank
dylank is just really nicedylank is just really nicedylank is just really nicedylank is just really nice

2000 SL2
Default 2000 Saturn sl2 won't start

My 290,000 mile 2000 Saturn sl2 won't start. Automatic dohc. I drive it 150 miles, turned it off. Now going to start it all the lights come on, radio blower etc, no crank. Checked battery with multimeter, and it is in range. Checked all fuses all good. Swapped all relays still exact same thing. Now going to check starter for power, luckily I have a few tools with me. But I'm posting this as I'm broken down the the side of the road and could use any input

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dylank's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dylank reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dylank is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2017, 12:50 PM   #2
dylank
dylank is just really nicedylank is just really nicedylank is just really nicedylank is just really nice

2000 SL2
Default Re: 2000 Saturn sl2 won't start

Can I test the starter solenoid purple wire with a multimeter only?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dylank's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dylank reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dylank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 01:05 PM   #3
billr
Master Member
billr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nice

Yes, you should have battery voltage (about 12V) between the PPL wire and the starter case when the key is turned trying to crank.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 01:21 PM   #4
gas3987
gas3987 is on a distinguished road

Are you alone? If you could find a way to tap on the starter while someone holds the key in crank, it may get you home at least. Sounds like the starter may have called it quits.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gas3987's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gas3987 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gas3987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 01:42 PM   #5
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

When my starter was dying, it would fail hot. That is, if I turned the engine off and tried to start again while the engine was hot, it would not crank.

After about 20~25 minutes of cooling down, it would work again. Good luck; if it is the starter, the DB Electrical one is a good replacement

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 01:44 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Whacking the starter body a few times may give you another start or more if its the original starter. If it gets you going, get it either to a shop or home and determine if its the original starter that's finally worn out. 12v on the small purple wire while starting indicates power is getting to the starter solenoid but the solenoid may be dead unless this wire is loose.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 02:30 PM   #7
Casper50
Casper50 is on a distinguished road

2001 SC1

Where are you at in Colorado? I might be able to give you a hand. If there isn't any power to the starter solenoid while cranking then it will probably be a neutral safety switch. Let me know if I can help. I'm in North Denver.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Casper50's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Casper50 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Casper50 is offline   Reply With Quote