SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2017, 10:16 AM   #1
2000sl1blue
2000sl1blue has a spectacular aura about2000sl1blue has a spectacular aura about2000sl1blue has a spectacular aura about

2000 SL1
2007 SKY Red Line
Default Crankshaft "tooth"?

Has anybody had experience buying a new crankshaft and having it come without the "tooth"? I was about to put on the timing chain and realized I cannot get the crank pulley on because it's missing! I looked at my old one and sure enough, it's there.. Heres a picture of what I mean, the rectangle the goes into the groove. I really hope this is able to be transplanted as the engine is already in.. If not any tips on what I could weld in the new crankshaft to get around it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2000sl1blue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2000sl1blue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2000sl1blue is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2017, 10:56 AM   #2
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia

2001 SL1
Default Re: Crankshaft "tooth"?

You mean the KEYWAY?
I would have thought it needed to be kept from the old crankshaft and reused.
Most machine shops (or Mc Master-Carr) stock key stock in various sizes...1/4", 5/16" etc and should be able to cut you a new 'key' to insert into the Keyway.

Don't weld anything, just insert the new key based on whatever width square stock fits. Hopefully, it is not of case hardened tool stock material.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 11:00 AM   #3
2000sl1blue
2000sl1blue has a spectacular aura about2000sl1blue has a spectacular aura about2000sl1blue has a spectacular aura about

2000 SL1
2007 SKY Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by toggenburg View Post
You mean the KEYWAY?
I would have thought it needed to be kept from the old crankshaft and reused.
Most machine shops (or Mc Master-Carr) stock key stock in various sizes...1/4", 5/16" etc and should be able to cut you a new 'key' to insert into the Keyway.

Don't weld anything, just insert the new key based on whatever width square stock fits. Hopefully, it is not of case hardened tool stock material.
Should I try to hammer out the old crankshft?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 2000sl1blue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-17-2017, 11:25 AM   #4
whastings
whastings is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
1999 SW2

It should come out, yes. I usually use a brass punch to take them out. But it should tap out pretty easily.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to whastings's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help whastings reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
whastings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 12:29 PM   #5
2000sl1blue

2000 SL1
2007 SKY Red Line

So I got it off! I used a punch. Issue now is when I tried to put it on the new crankshaft it slipped and went into the oil pan!!!! Is this magnetic? If I cant get it out of the oil pan will it just sit there without harming anything?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-17-2017, 12:32 PM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

Get a retriever magnet and get it out of there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 02:38 PM   #7
2000sl1blue

2000 SL1
2007 SKY Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Get a retriever magnet and get it out of there.
I found a great one at napa which was flexible plus has a claw! I'm thankful it's not aluminum.. It came out in seconds...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-17-2017, 05:11 PM   #8
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

keys are always steel. They are usually easy to retrieve.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:38 PM   #9
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really nice

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000sl1blue View Post
I found a great one at napa which was flexible plus has a claw! I'm thankful it's not aluminum.. It came out in seconds...
That would be a serious amount of force to put on an aluminum key!

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote