SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2017, 04:24 PM   #1
JerryHughes
Master Member
JerryHughes has a spectacular aura aboutJerryHughes has a spectacular aura aboutJerryHughes has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL
Default Anyone install radio bracket Metra 99-3100 Dash Kit?

Hi all,
I'm in the middle of installing a new radio in my 97 SL and am using the dash kit Metra 99-3100. All's well except the back of the receiver doesn't have enough support and the whole front wiggles. Has anyone installed one of these dash kits and solved this problem? Please enlighten me if there is a good way to secure. Thanks. (It's the dash kit pictured on the left) Oh, and does anyone know where those two separate rectangular tabs go??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg radio acc..JPG (20.3 KB, 18 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JerryHughes's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JerryHughes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JerryHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2017, 04:52 PM   #2
JerryHughes
Master Member
JerryHughes has a spectacular aura aboutJerryHughes has a spectacular aura aboutJerryHughes has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL
Default Re: Anyone install radio bracket Metra 99-3100 Dash Kit?

Well, answered my first question. As soon as I put the front of the radio face and the "frame" on the front also, it stabilized the whole assembly and it is quite secure now. I don't like the fact that the stability is resting on the front pieces but I guess that's the way it is designed.
Still don't know what the two rectangular plastic pieces are for though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help JerryHughes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-16-2017, 06:45 PM   #3
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Well, I'm not missing those two pieces so I put them in storage. Here's the kit, installed in the dash-----------
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1304.jpg (148.0 KB, 22 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-16-2017, 09:11 PM   #4
thomascald
thomascald has a spectacular aura aboutthomascald has a spectacular aura aboutthomascald has a spectacular aura about

2001 SC2

I have that same stereo in my 2001 SC2. I love it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to thomascald's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help thomascald reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
thomascald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:33 PM   #5
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomascald View Post
I have that same stereo in my 2001 SC2. I love it.
It's a nice little unit. The only thing I wish it had was a different, light bulb color. It's bright white and the rest of my dash is a "yellow white". But, why splint hairs. Sounds really good.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-16-2017, 11:05 PM   #6
thomascald
thomascald has a spectacular aura aboutthomascald has a spectacular aura aboutthomascald has a spectacular aura about

2001 SC2

I can change the color of mine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to thomascald's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help thomascald reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
thomascald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 11:10 PM   #7
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomascald View Post
I can change the color of mine.
Is yours model #KDC-BT268U?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-17-2017, 07:29 AM   #8
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Nice, clean looking install, good job!

I used the Metra unit with the pocket underneath but your stereo looks wider so might not fit that properly

http://manual.kenwood.com/files/B5A-1335-00.pdf

changing colors is under "display setting" (I couldn't copy/paste out of the PDF) - You can use "control +F" to search the PDF for "color" (there's two sections, one is "quick settings" or something like that, and a more in depth one later - some models, looks like you can create your own custom color, pretty cool!)

Your model number isn't listed in the PDF, but I got there from this link using your model number
http://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/receiver/kdc-bt268u/

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 07:39 AM   #9
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

Radios used to come with a bracket for the back side to hold it up. Not only does the S-Series have nothing to attach that bracket to on the car side, there's not really any way to access it once the radio's installed anyway.

The downside to that particular model receiver is that you're stuck with whatever color it currently has (though it does have an auto-dimming mode). If I had seen that it was "stuck" on white I'd have recommended a different one but at least it isn't blue (I like blue, but even dimmed it kills night vision)

Hmmm...I'm going by Crutchfields linked manual which says nothing about changing color: https://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/Im.../113BT268U.PDF

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 09:35 AM   #10
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
Nice, clean looking install, good job!

I used the Metra unit with the pocket underneath but your stereo looks wider so might not fit that properly

http://manual.kenwood.com/files/B5A-1335-00.pdf

changing colors is under "display setting" (I couldn't copy/paste out of the PDF) - You can use "control +F" to search the PDF for "color" (there's two sections, one is "quick settings" or something like that, and a more in depth one later - some models, looks like you can create your own custom color, pretty cool!)

Your model number isn't listed in the PDF, but I got there from this link using your model number
http://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/receiver/kdc-bt268u/
Yeah, I looked and couldn't find an adjustment but that's fine. I do have the dimmer switch and the great sound makes up for that minor item. Can't believe the difference between F.M. and the C.D. when it comes to quality! Going to buy a lot more C.D.'s.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-17-2017, 09:43 AM   #11
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
Radios used to come with a bracket for the back side to hold it up. Not only does the S-Series have nothing to attach that bracket to on the car side, there's not really any way to access it once the radio's installed anyway.

The downside to that particular model receiver is that you're stuck with whatever color it currently has (though it does have an auto-dimming mode). If I had seen that it was "stuck" on white I'd have recommended a different one but at least it isn't blue (I like blue, but even dimmed it kills night vision)

Hmmm...I'm going by Crutchfields linked manual which says nothing about changing color: https://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/Im.../113BT268U.PDF
Yes, Saturn has zero support in the back which bothers me because, how long can the plastic front and plastic frame adequately support the unit? About the only thing I could do is go back and simply place a small block of wood under the very back of the unit to hold it up and will, if the front ends up wiggling.
The white isn't a big deal and the dimmer will be used but it sure sounds great with my new speakers! Very nice. For a while, when getting in and turning on the unit, I double checked my Saturn label on the dash and looked for a Cadillac label.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-17-2017, 10:36 AM   #12
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
Thanks for that. It looks like the Kenwood site for this model links to a PDF for a different model.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 02:45 PM   #13
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHughes View Post
...Going to buy a lot more C.D.'s.
You need to season your new CD player like a cheff would season a new cast iron frying pan
Buy this: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Beck's_Guitar_Shop
...and what was the year that the preliminary design work was going into the S-Series? Coincidence?

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 12 stalls to date (and loving it)

Last edited by bumpdraft; 08-17-2017 at 02:53 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 05:13 PM   #14
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpdraft View Post
You need to season your new CD player like a cheff would season a new cast iron frying pan
Buy this: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Beck's_Guitar_Shop
...and what was the year that the preliminary design work was going into the S-Series? Coincidence?
Looks good. I'll go on Itunes for samples. Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!