SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2017, 05:10 PM   #1
Sky Pilot
Sky Pilot is a jewel in the roughSky Pilot is a jewel in the roughSky Pilot is a jewel in the rough

2008 SKY Red Line
2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default 3.0 (Normal) Operating Temp

Does anyone know what the normal numeric temp is for the 3.0?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sky Pilot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sky Pilot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sky Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2017, 05:41 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 3.0 (Normal) Operating Temp

Several logs over several years display on my reader, 188F.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 05:41 PM   #3
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

This isn't exactly the information you're seeking, but I think it will be useful to get a general idea of what temperatures are specifically controlled under cooling fan operation:

1) Low speed cooling fan operation: turned on when temperature exceeds 204 degrees F, disabled when temp drops below 198 degrees F;
2) Medium speed cooling fan operation: this speed engages when temperature exceeds 210 degrees F, returns to low speed when temp drops below 207 degrees F;
3)High speed cooling fan operation: this speed engages when temperature exceeds 215 degrees F, returns to medium speed when temperature drops below 212 degrees F.

275,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 07:05 PM   #4
Sky Pilot
Sky Pilot is a jewel in the roughSky Pilot is a jewel in the roughSky Pilot is a jewel in the rough

2008 SKY Red Line
2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrot View Post
This isn't exactly the information you're seeking, but I think it will be useful to get a general idea of what temperatures are specifically controlled under cooling fan operation:

1) Low speed cooling fan operation: turned on when temperature exceeds 204 degrees F, disabled when temp drops below 198 degrees F;
2) Medium speed cooling fan operation: this speed engages when temperature exceeds 210 degrees F, returns to low speed when temp drops below 207 degrees F;
3)High speed cooling fan operation: this speed engages when temperature exceeds 215 degrees F, returns to medium speed when temperature drops below 212 degrees F.
Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Here's why I asked. I loaned my OBD2 scanner to one of my kids and it ended up MIA. So last week a CEL code came up and I had no tool to read it. I have had a recurring P0174 come up for years with no ill affects, so generally I clear it and go on and it may come up again several months later. But without my scanner, I couldn't determine if it was the P0174 or something more serious. Since my old scanner was now MIA, I decided to buy another. But I just didn't want to plunk down a "Grant", when my MIA unit could show up again sometime. So instead, I bought a $10 bluetooth ODB2 adapter and another $5 for a Torque Pro ap for my S7, so $15. TP is littered with cool gauges and graphs, one is for the coolant temp. I installed it and placed a few of the gauges on the startup screen to test drive the ap. Pretty darn cool! This morning I turned it on and monitored a few stats, coolant, mpg and a few others. At 70⁰ on a flat freeway my temp was reading 194⁰ and topped at 201⁰ at a light. Tonight, it was about 85⁰ (ambient) and going up my normal 6% grade coming home (about 6 miles) on the toll road it topped at 204⁰, then sitting at a long light, it went up to 208⁰ (visually not higher than what I've previously experienced). Not monitoring actual numeric values in the past, only looking at the analog gauge, I always wondered what the actual temp was (numeric value) and whether what I was experiencing was normal, so I was looking for a benchmark, hence my question.

I have a secondary question though, what holds the top of the radiator in place, i.e., keeping it from moving front to back? I think the last shop that worked on my radiator a couple of years ago, removed a brace and didn’t reinstall it. So I can literally move the top of the radiator back and forth, maybe 2". I would imagine that at driving and freeway speeds, the radiator likely tilts back a bit due to wind force and could permit air to flow over/around it and not entirely through it, perhaps affecting it's ability to cool the liquid as intended. Just a thought.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Sky Pilot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-15-2017, 08:45 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Look for two top mounts (removable) securing the upper radiator from leaning forward or backward. If I'm not mistaken, the radiator has two outboard upward pointing plastic tips that fit into removable brackets with soft rubber rings that restrain upper radiator movement. The ac condenser coil has two plastic clips (as part of the condenser coil) that hang onto two brackets on the radiator. These two clips are approximately 2/3rds up the condenser coil. The lower condenser coil uses two or three sheet metal screws to bolt the condenser coil to the radiator.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-1.jpg (155.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled-2.jpg (112.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled-3.jpg (122.3 KB, 4 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-15-2017, 11:06 PM   #6
Sky Pilot

2008 SKY Red Line
2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

This is the passenger side. Seems like I, a) might be missing something, or b) need to raise the radiator to enable the "peg" to fit into the hole.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-16-2017, 01:49 AM   #7
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Pilot View Post
This is the passenger side. Seems like I, a) might be missing something, or b) need to raise the radiator to enable the "peg" to fit into the hole.
The solution to correcting the problem is definitely not item "b" above. Elevating the radiator will result in misalignment of radiator hoses, transmission cooler lines, and probably the air conditioning receiver drier lines as well. The part which appears to be missing from underneath the bracket is still available in the aftermarket. I found these parts at Amazon. The lower radiator mounts are available as OE and aftermarket parts.

https://www.gmpartscenter.net/auto-p...omponents-scat item no. 5

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sx_as?r...-1-1-1109--1-1 both upper and lower radiator mounts are in the second row of the page linked.

275,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

Last edited by pierrot; 08-16-2017 at 01:55 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 05:23 AM   #8
soulsurvives
soulsurvives has a spectacular aura aboutsoulsurvives has a spectacular aura aboutsoulsurvives has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Your temps are fine. I think the 3.0 uses a 195 or 198 degree thermostat. What need need to watch out for is temps that go below 190. Once your thermostat fails the car will run too cool and you'll get a check engine light. Be happy you're where you're at, replacing the thermostat on these is no picnic.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to soulsurvives's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help soulsurvives reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
soulsurvives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 12:43 PM   #9
Russet
Russet will become famous soon enoughRusset will become famous soon enough

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Pilot View Post
Does anyone know what the normal numeric temp is for the 3.0?
Where are you looking at for the temp that your asking about? Your question is vague as to what location or part of the engine function your asking about.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Russet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Russet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Russet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 07:28 AM   #10
soulsurvives
soulsurvives has a spectacular aura aboutsoulsurvives has a spectacular aura aboutsoulsurvives has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russet View Post
Where are you looking at for the temp that your asking about? Your question is vague as to what location or part of the engine function your asking about.
You should read the entire thread. In it the op states that he is using a Bluetooth adapter with an app for his phone (I have 2 of those apps and they are great). With these these apps you can see the exact engine temp numerically. The op's question was right on the money and I'm pretty sure he got useful information.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to soulsurvives's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help soulsurvives reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
soulsurvives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 02:30 PM   #11
Sky Pilot

2008 SKY Red Line
2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

So after 2 weeks of monitoring my temp, I found that it stays around 195º under normal conditions. As some of you may know, especially those in SoCal, it's been hot as hell out here. Tuesday on my way home it was about 100º outside and going up the toll road (~6% grade) the temp went up to 213.2º for a few minutes and then went back down to 208º, 206º, 203º, then 201º until I got off the freeway then it hovered between 198º and 201º. Stopping at lights caused it to go up to around 203º, but then it seems to drop to the high 190's. Interestingly, today (it’s really hot) I went out at lunch and the ambient is 98º and it was running 203º to 204º, but when I sat under a covered driveway waiting for my ptomaine-burger, the temp went down to 196º and then back up as soon as I left.

Overall, I really like the $15 torque pro / bluetooth unit. I like to monitor how my car operates and I hate idiot lights, analog gauges are "ok", but I really like digital values. Below is a sample of what you can see. I think there are a couple hundred different gauges from which to choose. Additionally, you can read CEL codes, see what they are, possible causes, and clear them as well. Not bad for $5 and another $10 for the bluetooth OBDII adapter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot2.jpg (156.2 KB, 4 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-02-2017, 10:35 AM   #12
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Nice to know you're enjoying your new Torque Pro and bluetooth adapter for phone display. I'm still old school with a cable connection to a tablet(have bluetooth capability) but for now its sufficient. I too have customizable gauge displays with OBD Wiz.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!