SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2012, 07:45 PM   #1
REDASTRA
REDASTRA is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2008 Astra XR
Default P0014 exhaust camshaft position timing over advanced bank 1

Code : P0014 EXHAUST CAMSHAFT POSITION TIMING OVER ADVANCED BANK 1

From what i have researched it looks like I need to replace a camshaft sensor has anyone done this themselves, does anyone have any pictures/video of where the camshaft sensors are located ?? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank-you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to REDASTRA's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help REDASTRA reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
REDASTRA is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2012, 09:54 PM   #2
REDASTRA

2008 Astra XR
2008 Astra XR
Default Re: P0014 exhaust camshaft position timing over advanced bank 1

Has any one replaced the sensor themselves, I located the two sensors (Part Number 55352609), however not sure which one to replace ?? Any assistance would be appreciated.

I do not think this would be covered under the powertrain warranty, I am going to call the dealer tomorrow and confirm this.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help REDASTRA reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-23-2012, 12:26 AM   #3
phatfire6
Advanced Member
phatfire6 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Hopefully Astra La Vista! has taken a look at this, I know he has a service manual. I have no idea where I put mine, but I'm guessing it's an easy fix. PM him if he doesn't respond.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to phatfire6's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help phatfire6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
phatfire6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:42 PM   #4
REDASTRA

2008 Astra XR
2008 Astra XR

Hello, I called the dealer and they confirmed that the sensor(s) is covered under the powertrain warranty, Astra goes in to the dealer tomorrow, I will give an update when its back for others who may encounter this same problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-25-2012, 07:26 PM   #5
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! has a spectacular aura aboutAstra La Vista! has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatfire6 View Post
Hopefully Astra La Vista! has taken a look at this, I know he has a service manual. I have no idea where I put mine, but I'm guessing it's an easy fix. PM him if he doesn't respond.
No need for a manual (and I only have the Haynes). The sensors are located at the end of the cylinder head opposite the belts (ie: closer towards the transmission). Exhaust is towards the radiator side of the engine.

It isn't 100% guaranteed to be a sensor, however. Sensors detect conditions, and it is also possible that the exhaust cam is indeed overly advanced. The timing belt may have skilled a tooth (unlikely) or the advance actuator for that cam may be stuck and/or faulty.

"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Astra La Vista!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Astra La Vista! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Astra La Vista! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:33 PM   #6
DocBoxT3
DocBoxT3 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

My check engine light just came on this past week, and I finally had a chance to check the codes today. Three entries for P0014, exactly as the title of this thread. I called the local chevy dealer and was told that this is likely a sensor problem that is NOT covered by the warranty. They want $280 to replace the sensor. I was about to order the sensor from Rockauto for $85 and just replace it myself, but now (if I'm following old threads correctly) it sounds like the sensor might not be the issue. Can anyone bring me up to speed on this and let me know what I can try to do to get the dealer to cover the repairs under warranty? Fiscal cliff man... it's pretty steep. I also don't have any other way to get myself to work in the meantime. Am I risking much by driving the car in this condition?

--'08 Saturn Astra XE 5door

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DocBoxT3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DocBoxT3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DocBoxT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:14 AM   #7
FooBag
FooBag is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Doc, having had this problem a number of times with my Astra, I can tell you that once the cam sticks in the "advanced: position, you will have no power whatsoever taking off from a light, and I do mean no power. A comparison to what this is like would be to take off from a light without allowing the RPM's to get over 1200. You are also going to be wasting fuel like crazy and potentially damaging your catalytic converter & O2 sensor; mine started setting O2 sensor codes shortly after the cam code was set.

I totally disagree that this is not covered under warranty; I have had this problem serviced TWICE by different dealers (I moved) without paying a cent or even a fight. In my case, the solenoid was sticking open and allowing engine oil past to move the cam into the "advanced" position. However, if your budget is tight, you could try removing the solenoids and cleaning the screens to see if it corrects the issue. The exhaust cam solenoid is the thing about 4" to the left of the dipstick, with the small yellow clip in this picture below. The intake one sticks out towards the passenger seat on the back of the engine. These just thread out and then there is a screen behind that can be removed and cleaned. You should then clear the code and see if it comes back.

2008 Astra XR3
2012 Silverado Crew Cab

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FooBag's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FooBag reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FooBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:07 PM   #8
DocBoxT3

2008 Astra XE

. . . great. So much for just being able to unscrew this solenoid. Of course they were locking the door to the parts dept as I was walking up to try to order a replacement. This is called the Exhaust Cam Solenoidcorrect? Any tips on how to get it out now that the end is broken off? The half that's still there is only just barely hanging on and there was no movement out of the threads when the end broke off, so its still in there good and tight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130104_163310.jpg (156.2 KB, 229 views)

Last edited by DocBoxT3; 01-04-2013 at 07:16 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help DocBoxT3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-05-2013, 01:29 PM   #9
DocBoxT3

2008 Astra XE

Ok, I realize what I did wrong now. I've got the replacement Exhaust Cam Actuator Valve from the dealer ($63USD), and I see what I need to do to get the old one out. I'm going to do the job this afternoon and I'll take some more pictures the job so the next schmo like me doesn't twist the end of the connector off like I did.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-05-2013, 06:51 PM   #10
DocBoxT3

2008 Astra XE

Got the replacement job done with a few decent pictures taken along the way.

First of all, the way the removal is described above sounded to me like the black plastic connector for the actuator valve was going to unscrew from the protruding aluminum sleeve. The picture I attached to my post above shows what you end up with when you try that. I had assumed that the aluminum cylinder was part of the aluminum head, when it is actually part of the actuator valve. Here's what it looks like, with a little electrical tape holding my old broken one together, before you get started:

First thing you need to go is unclip the connector. To do this you need to pull the small yellow tab away from the connection. You should be able to pull it with your fingers. You should be able to press the black tab into the groove of the yellow tab now and pull the plug. It's a snug fit with three rubber fins that provide a weather proof seal. Here's what it will look like when the yellow tab is in the open position. It doesn't move much.

Next, you'll have to move the wire bundle just to the right of the actuator out of the way. If you pull it out of the track that it's pressed into along the plastic cover on the top of the motor you'll have enough slack to get it far enough out of the way to get the job done. Once it's out of the way, you'll see the small E-Torx bolt that holds the actuator valve in place. It's an E-8 External torx and it's aluminum, so if you drop it, magnets won't help you get it back.

I had to use a short extension to get this bolt out. The bolt is about 3/4" long and as I said, it's aluminum so a magnetic socket won't save it from falling. Once you have the bolt out, you can pull the actuator valve out. Before you pull out the actuator, lay a rag over the water pump and S-belt. When the actuator is removed there may be some oil that will come out of the opening and the actuator itself will have oil in it. The actuator valve pulls straight out. There is no need to twist or unscrew it. There will be some resistance, just pull a little harder. You should be able to get it out with your hands. There is no gasket, just a rubber O-ring that is seated into the shaft of the actuator and comes out with it. This was the actuator right after it was removed, you can see how it will be dripping with engine oil and how the screen may be dirty:

In the first picture, the orange colored bands are also screens that did not seem to be held on by anything put being a perfect fit and a little surface tension from the oil. That being said, be prepared for them to possibly fall off without warning, especially if blowing the dirt off the screens is your plan to remove some of the particulate. Once the screens are clean to your satisfaction you can slide the actuator valve back in and replace the small bolt, move the wire bundle back into its groove and reconnect the plug.

Just a look at the replacement Exhaust Cam Actuator Valve for comparison to the old one pictured above. It may also help you to make sure you've gotten the correct one from the parts dept as the first dealership I dealt with today had the wrong part in the package for this actuator.

And the finished product:

The actuator valve on the intake cam side came out exactly the same as the exhaust actuator valve. I didn't have any oil spill from the intake actuator, an d it was not nearly as dirty as the exhaust actuator. Of course, this was the one where I dropped the small bolt down into the nether regions of the engine compartment. End result was removing the right front wheel, and the splash guard from the wheel well to reach in to try to feel around for where it landed.

Hopefully this helped someone. Sorry if I should have posted this somewhere else.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-05-2013, 07:19 PM   #11
DocBoxT3

2008 Astra XE

I have no idea why there is a teddy bear on the label for the new actuator valve.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-08-2013, 11:22 AM   #12
FooBag
FooBag is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Thanks for the update on this; I apologize if I led you astray with the screw out comment. I had not actually done this work myself, but had seen it referenced as "screw out" on the UK Astra forums numerous times.

Out of curiosity, what do you believe the accumulated stuff was that can be seen on the end screen of the old solenoid?

2008 Astra XR3
2012 Silverado Crew Cab

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FooBag's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FooBag reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FooBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:15 PM   #13
DocBoxT3

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by FooBag View Post
Thanks for the update on this; I apologize if I led you astray with the screw out comment. I had not actually done this work myself, but had seen it referenced as "screw out" on the UK Astra forums numerous times.

Out of curiosity, what do you believe the accumulated stuff was that can be seen on the end screen of the old solenoid?
It's all good. In the end, I spent a little money and learned something. I have no idea what that particulate was on the screen, but evidently it's not something unusual since the engineers put those screens there. As memory serves it was somewhat metallic feeling between my fingers and very thin flakes.

Sorry it took so long for me to say anything here. I'm guilty of only really checking the forum when I'm researching a problem I'm having.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-21-2013, 03:02 AM   #14
cindycated
cindycated is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

When I did repairs on my printing press, I used to dab grease (the pasty kind, not oil) on the bolt head to keep it from falling off to "nether regions." Kinda "glued" it into the socket and wasn't that big a deal to wipe off.

Cindy
Astra XR5, Star Silver, Sunroof, Auto Trans, Sport Handling Pkg, Advanced Audio Pkg, Heated Seats

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cindycated's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cindycated reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cindycated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:11 AM   #15
trm65
trm65 has a spectacular aura abouttrm65 has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Isn't the GM protocol to remove the screens?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trm65's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trm65 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trm65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:16 AM   #16
cindycated
cindycated is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I thought so too, but I read that people had trouble with warranty issues (voided because of modified parts).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBoxT3 View Post
I have no idea why there is a teddy bear on the label for the new actuator valve.
Dude, you had me googling this.

It's a dumb GM thing. Each dealer has its own symbol. Could be a helicopter, phone, teddy bear, bunny rabbit or other random pic printed on the shipping label. Just a way for them to tell which dealer the part came from I guess.

Cindy
Astra XR5, Star Silver, Sunroof, Auto Trans, Sport Handling Pkg, Advanced Audio Pkg, Heated Seats

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cindycated's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cindycated reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cindycated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 12:45 AM   #17
vasy
Advanced Member
vasy is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE Green Line

Hey guys, I got the same issue. Would you mind providing the part numbers for the exhaust and the intake control solenoids?
Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vasy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vasy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 11:28 AM   #18
satlite440
satlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud of

2001 SL2

the symbol on the label is so gmspo logistics knows where to deliver it at a glance.. ours is now a helicopter, was a beachball 5 yrs ago,,the screens are there to protect the solenoid..do not remove them.. the removal of the screens was for the inline 4-5-6 ongine's in the s/t truck platforms...the metal and sludge is from poor mantinace,befrore anyone gets defensive or flames me..1st let me sat the pictures and car don't lie...2nd,,if you are following the oil life moniter % like most people were trained to do this is the root cause..i do not see these issues in engines where the owner follows a set time/mileage change interval.while I know you don.t have a 2.4L engine I am using this for an example only but it applies to all gm moters built unhouse of from another brand...

gm's acceptable rate of normal oil consumption is 1 qt used every 2,000 miles

the 2.4l holds 5 qts of oil,and oil oil life moniter after the recall/reprogram was set to supposedly 7,500 miles to reach 0%..if you never ck your oil between fill up's and oil chages...that is 3.5 qt's of oil consumed out ofyour engine,leaveing 1.5 qts of oil to lubricate the bearing and runing the oil volume using cam phasers,oil control solinoids that you replaced...vvt systems are oil level/volume sensitive..not to mention the timming chain tensioners need oil to stay at the correct tension and prevent chin wear....hth explain what is going on

shure you can trust the government,just ask us indians all about it...

heavy line the final protective fire line of the dealership

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to satlite440's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help satlite440 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
satlite440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:53 PM   #19
vasy
Advanced Member
vasy is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE Green Line

So I'm in the same boat.
Replaced the exhaust cam solenoid this passed weekend. Part number for both intake ands exhaust is: 55567050
Funny story, I messed up and at first replaced the intake one and after finishing the job, realized the mistake. I took out the correct exhaust one and put the one I just took out from the intake there.
So now I have a new one on the intake side and the used one on the exhaust
Oh well, erased the codes and will see how it goes, in the worst case scenario, will end up with both new

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vasy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vasy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 09:46 AM   #20
flyengineer
flyengineer is on a distinguished road

I have an 08 Astra with an 1.8L ecotec engine. about 8 months ago it started sounding like a diesel and threw the corresponding code for VVT being too far advanced. I replaced both VVT Solenoids and it stopped for about 10K miles but recently the noise returned. I just pulled both solenoids and the screen closest to the connector (furthest from the engine)on the rear VVT Solenoid and was covered in small metal flakes. The other two screens on that solenoid and all three screens on the other VVT solenoid were clean. Any idea where these could be coming from?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to flyengineer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help flyengineer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
flyengineer is offline   Reply With Quote