SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Red Line
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2017, 05:09 PM   #1
hojcat
hojcat is on a distinguished road

Dizzy 2005 VUE Redline Overheating

I usually do in town and freeway driving in my car (Redline). It is a 3.5L, V6 with 129,000 miles. Three years in a row, while driving mountainous roads heading from Phoenix AZ to CA and NV in July, the car overheated and it would not shift into overdrive. Twice it blew out transmission fluid under the hood. The first time it happened in 2015 and the ODB codes were P0741 and P0742. I let it cool off and it drove fine as long as I did not exceed fifty to fifty five mph.
In 2016 I realized what was happening and so I lowered my speed and continued my journey.
July 2017, the same scenario occurred as in 2015. This time I let it cool off, returned home and rented a car. I did not record the ODB code as it reset itself before I reached home.
Sorry about the long background story.
My mechanic drove the heck out of it and could not get it to throw the P0751 or P0752 codes. However, it did throw the P0420 and P0430 codes. This has not happened before or since. He topped of the transmission fluid at that time.
I took it to an auto electric shop and was told that they could not diagnose the problem unless it threw the codes in the repair bay. It only happens climbing hills in the Sonoran desert in July!
As a last resort, I went to the GM dealer. They started telling me that it is most likely my transmission... SO I LEFT!!! It never, ever slips, has any shifting problems or other transmission issues. Only the three aforementioned times on the road trips in July.
I was driving in town this week and now the car overheated, throwing a P2555 code. It was then that I discovered that only one of the two cooling fans is functioning (the main fan on the left side). The fan on the right side does not kick at all, even when the air conditioner is running.
Maybe this has been the problem all along, I do not know.
Finally my question: Are there any tests I can do to determine if the fan motor is burned out before tearing the front of my car apart to replace it? I checked the fuses and they look good.
Any ideas? Thanks!

Last edited by hojcat; 08-14-2017 at 05:17 PM.. Reason: Additional info.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hojcat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hojcat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hojcat is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2017, 07:27 PM   #2
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: 2005 VUE Redline Overheating

Has the trans ever had new fluid other than toppping off?

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:11 PM   #3
hojcat

Yes, it was flushed at 100,000 miles per the maintenance schedule. The fluid is a little dirty but has a pinkish tint.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help hojcat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-14-2017, 09:19 PM   #4
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Every 25 thousand, it's needed . It was abused if it only got it @ 100 k.. Get a trans cooler after a couple drain/fills.

THe factory maintenance schedule is ferkakta.. THese trans' can overheat, as you've found out.. WHen that happens, you bake all the life out of the fluid.........

DW1 Honda Fluid, please.

Done the Tbelt?

'17 Suby Forester

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-19-2017, 11:19 AM   #5
hojcat

Thumbs Up Re: 2005 VUE Redline Overheating

Yes, the timing chain was replaced 2 yrs ago.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-19-2017, 12:40 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hojcat View Post
.............. I discovered that only one of the two cooling fans is functioning (the main fan on the left side). The fan on the right side does not kick at all, even when the air conditioner is running. Maybe this has been the problem all along, I do not know. .... Are there any tests I can do to determine if the fan motor is burned out before tearing the front of my car apart to replace it? I checked the fuses and they look good.
Any ideas? Thanks!
Both cooling fans should be running when ac is turned on. Does ac cool when used? My two fans run together for low, medium and high speeds whether for engine cooling or ac use. With that in mind, I would examine the non operating fan to see if its stuck, carefully. With ignition off/cool engine, manually turn the fan blade by hand or use a stick. If free to spin, check for a blown fuse - fans may be labeled FAN 1, FAN 2. Pull fuses too verify them. If fuses are good, you can test the fan by connecting it directly to the battery.

Last edited by fdryer; 08-19-2017 at 12:46 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 01:37 PM   #7
billysvue
Master Member

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by hojcat View Post
Yes, the timing chain was replaced 2 yrs ago.
INteresting trick for an engine that doesn't have a chain.

'17 Suby Forester

REWARD EXCELLENCE!