SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2017, 04:20 PM   #1
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2
Default Spark plug reading - this is different

Plugs are about 6 months old, don't know how well it's showing up in the pics.
Oil on plugs 1, 3, and 4 so planning on new gasket. Gap does not look bad to the eyeball, did not check though. #4 has some damage to the insulator, looks like

The new thing is, each plug has a narrow notch in the electrode. Never seen that before. What causes this (spark being narrow and long, I assume), and how do I remedy it? Car runs fine, otherwise, so this surprised me.

The attached pics are the first set I've put in the car, the set in the car when I bought it can be seen here (no notches, but they were rusty and the gap was huge, very worn plugs)
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...postcount=5077

Thanks in advance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg plugs1.jpg (195.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg plugs2.jpg (188.4 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg plugs3.jpg (95.3 KB, 19 views)

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2017, 04:49 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2
Default Re: Spark plug reading - this is different

Those are BKR5E plugs and they come with that split center electrode. They are V-Power design.

Try a BKR6E V-Power plug, those look to be running a bit on the hot side and you are not burning lots of oil. Be sure you get the V-Power plug.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 05:11 PM   #3
rb6667
Advanced Member
rb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to behold

2004 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2004 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Those are BKR5E plugs and they come with that split center electrode. They are V-Power design.

Try a BKR6E V-Power plug, those look to be running a bit on the hot side and you are not burning lots of oil. Be sure you get the V-Power plug.
Yes, those plugs look a little "Toasty" Try a heat range colder. Looks like some evidence of preignition as well on at least one of them.

2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2 218K Miles
2004 L Series Wagon 2.2 68K Miles
2004 L-Series Wagon 3.0 48K Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rb6667's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rb6667 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rb6667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 05:35 PM   #4
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
. #4 has some damage to the insulator,
AS mentioned, the plugs looked baked and flaked away glazing on insulator is a giveaway.

Ever hear detonation/pinging...

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 06:44 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

That is most likely cooked on carbon. Plugs have been used way past replace time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-12-2017, 07:13 PM   #6
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
That is most likely cooked on carbon. Plugs have been used way past replace time.
Yeah, I suppose, or I've even seen aluminum "plasma coating" from runaway detonation eroding the piston dome.

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 07:19 PM   #7
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Very few if any of these engines suffer any preignition unless they are burning 85 octane fuel with the knock sensor failed and an SES light on. Other designs do indeed have issues though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-13-2017, 09:36 PM   #8
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Thanks, guys!
Apparently, I'm an idiot, not only did I forget the type of plugs I used, now that you mention it, I am sure I noticed the notch when I installed them back in February, thought to myself, "Huh, that's interesting" and them completely forgot about it

On the plus side, got some good advice on going to a colder plug, so I've got that going for me, which is nice.

No detonation or pinging, no codes (other a secondary O2 circuit which I keep forgetting to do something about, but do check the codes frequently to make sure something else hasn't popped up)
Will order plugs, wires, and gasket.

Side note: the wires are marked Packard, could be the OEM wires. Others have used the OEM wires over 100k miles without problems. Don't seem to be having any problems with them either, so did not change them whan I last changed plugs

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:38 AM   #9
OldNuc

1998 SC2

That "Packard" is just a name. Standard Motor Products Blue Streak if you can find anyone who can order them for you. Other than that plain old mid priced wires work and none of them actually last for 100,000 miles in a Saturn as that is equivalent to 200,000 miles in conventional ignition.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!