SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2015, 04:32 PM   #1
AstraFasta
AstraFasta is on a distinguished road

Default Astra 45k mile service - inexpensive & runs like new!

All,

Thank you for sharing some great posts. I will summarize the 45k mile service just completed on my Astra. After some 15 hours of internet research, ironing out the Astra's quirks took very little time and very little money.

These quirks seem to be recurring themes so I thought it would make sense to put my experience in one post. This stuff is better detailed throughout the SaturnFans website but this post might be a helpful place to start. You should discuss all items with your mechanic for safety reasons before trying yourself.

Also items 7 & 8 below seem to be related.

Most of the work I did myself and now car runs like new.

1. Oil change, oil filter, engine air filter.

2. Rotate and high speed tire balance. Front end alignment. Replaced failing tyre valve sensor. Replaced brake pads and machined discs.

3. Erased "low coolant" warning on central screen by overfilling coolant tank by 2cm with the CORRECT coolant. Cost $0

4. Removed irritating noisy hatch rumble/squeaking sound when hitting potholes, small road bumps, etc. This is probably a result of weak gas hatch lifters or bad hatch alignment from factory. Easy and cheap fix was turning the two rear hatch adjustment knobs about 1/2 a turn outwards. Also put a bit of duct tape on the metal locking latch to tighten things. Cost $0

5. Replaced driver's side outside mirror housing after it was hit parked on street by idiot driver in oversized SUV who did not stop. Full housing cost $100 from junkyard.

5a. Replaced the two outside mirrors (just the glass). I used a replacement from a Canada ebay/amazon store which had full-sized sticky pads. The adhesive seemed great. The mirrors not so much. Maybe GM OEM mirrors with better adhesive would be a better choice. Cost of glass and adhesive pads for both housings - $30

6. The cabin HVAC fan stopped working on low and medium speeds. That was caused by a clogged "cabin air filter," which we just replaced. Effectively the fan resistor pack has a secondary function - that of a "fuse." Replacing the resistor pack is very painful. We did that in the cold, which hardened the HVAC plastics, making removal of the bad pack an all day project. Replacing the cabin air filter is a pain but can be done in 20 minutes. There are plenty of youtube videos for that.

REPLACE CABIN AIR FILTER PERIODICALLY TO AVOID FAILURE OF RESISTOR PACK WHICH IS PAINFUL TO REPLACE!

As a side note, it appears the Astra has a design flaw which impacts the HVAC fan. When one parks on a slant (can't remember if it is up or down), water may enter the HVAC fan housing, oxidize the fan motor bearings, and drip onto the passenger side rug, leaving a stained carpet. Consequently, I also replaced the fan with a used one in better condition. Before installation, I cleaned & lubricated the motor. Also washed the passenger-side carpet-mat.

Wix cabin air filter cost $25 and used resistor pack cost $5. One can just re-soldier a new resistor into the resistor pack for about $0.02 or buy a new resistor pack for around $75. Used HVAC fan was $30 including a bunch of housing that I did not use.

7. Also, in the last month, when turning on the A/C, there was a loud squeal, particularly at idle. At first I thought it was the belt. After research it appeared to require replacing the generator pulley with GM P/N 55560294 (which is relatively difficult):

10-06-01-001: Chirp Noise from Accessory Drive Belt with A/C Compressor On (Replace Generator Pulley) - (Jan 11, 2010). (see thread titled: "Alternator Pulley? Saturn Doesn't Have the Tool? HELP!")

That loud squeal disappeared when we completed item 8 below. The generator pulley may indeed be defective but I won't be replacing it until trouble appears.

8. Check Engine light was throwing lots of codes, and engine was running loud and a bit sluggish. Had local muffler expert weld in new stainless flexpipe and that resolved most of the codes, reduced loudness, and restored some power. Cost $200.

P0014 code remained. Removed the two (2) Engine Camshaft Position Sensors 55352609, threw away the orange filters per the GM note. Also swapped the intake and exhaust sensors. The filters were very clean but maybe the sludge was causing a problem. Washed sensors with oil. Cost $0 and took about an hour.

Also replaced spark plugs with Autolite Iridium XP Spark Plugs (XP-5224) gapped at 040 from the factory (I left it there based on recommendations of others on this board).

Note OEM plugs are 25k mile items. I understand if the plugs are used for too long, the gap will increase, straining the ignition system, potentially requiring early replacement of expensive parts such as the coil pack... Cost of plugs, anti-seize and dielectric goop $20 and took 15 minutes.

SUMMARY
-Handling, engine performance, and interior are all like new.
-The exterior paint is a bit soft so not perfect, but good enough.
-The roof rack covers are long gone.
-And the coating on the top of the headlights (near parallel to the ground so not impacting performance) is a bit worn. I am a bit weary of removing the factory baked UV coating for the sake of perfect headlight covers that will require maintenance every few months.

==>But overall, very happy with Astra after 6 years...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AstraFasta's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AstraFasta reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AstraFasta is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2015, 11:17 PM   #2
Action Jackson
Action Jackson is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Astra 45k mile service - inexpensive & runs like new!

Thanks for the comprehensive summary and the work that you've put into this.

Curious as to why the plugs are gapped to that .4 size.

2016 Honda Fit EX CVT
2008 Saturn Astra XR 5spd (traded)
2000 Acura Integra GS 5spd (SOLD)
2003 Mazda Protege5 5spd (RIP)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Action Jackson's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Action Jackson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Action Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:39 AM   #3
AstraFasta

Hi Action Jackson,

Not sure why this batch of spark plugs came out of the factory gapped at 040.

It makes sense to always check the gap of each spark plug with a good gauge before installation. My experience is that spark plug gaps from the factory are inconsistent.

Also be very careful of adjusting the gap on spark plugs as they are delicate. There are some good tutorials littered around the internet.

Good luck!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help AstraFasta reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-20-2015, 09:43 AM   #4
Action Jackson
Action Jackson is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I always gap the plugs every oil change. OEM specs are 0.035 in or 0.9 mm.

Plugs tend to increase in gap as they are used, from my experience.

2016 Honda Fit EX CVT
2008 Saturn Astra XR 5spd (traded)
2000 Acura Integra GS 5spd (SOLD)
2003 Mazda Protege5 5spd (RIP)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Action Jackson's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Action Jackson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Action Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 11:25 AM   #5
AstraFasta

I never thought of gapping the plugs after every oil change, but that makes a lot of sense, particularly with some of the higher performance plugs and engines.

After 45k miles, the original OEM plugs on my Astra had deteriorated, and the gaps were clearly larger than they were out of the factory. That might have been driving some of the "check engine" codes and imperfect engine performance.

I will start checking spark plug gaps with each oil change going forward.

Thanks for the thoughtful tip.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-20-2015, 11:42 AM   #6
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

I missed the part about changing out the transmission fluid. I hope it's not original.

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 01:13 PM   #7
AstraFasta

Hi Billy,

Thanks for taking the time to post. I did some research and see that indeed a transmission fluid flush makes sense to do at this point. I'll take care of that this month.

Posts relating to transmission fluid change at SaturnFans to get others started:

"Manual transmission fluid change"

"How To Saturn Automatic Transmission Service/Flush"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-27-2015, 12:27 PM   #8
AstraFasta

A few more maintenance items for this week:

1. Clean throttle body
2. Try to prevent auto transmission "guide failure"
3. Clean MAF sensor

A few questions:

- I will clean throttle body this week. Is it necessary to remove the throttle body from engine for cleaning? How do you re-teach throttle valve module in Saturn Astra?

- Action Jackson recently noted "in some auto trannies, a "guide" along the shift cable may break." Is there a fix we can do to prevent the problem? Is that "guide" a part we should be replacing as a maintenance item? If so, what is the part number?

Thanks!

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-28-2015, 08:53 PM   #9
AstraFasta

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstraFasta View Post
All,

7. Also, in the last month, when turning on the A/C, there was a loud squeal, particularly at idle. At first I thought it was the belt. After research it appeared to require replacing the generator pulley with GM P/N 55560294 (which is relatively difficult):

10-06-01-001: Chirp Noise from Accessory Drive Belt with A/C Compressor On (Replace Generator Pulley) - (Jan 11, 2010). (see thread titled: "Alternator Pulley? Saturn Doesn't Have the Tool? HELP!")

That loud squeal disappeared when we completed item 8 below. The generator pulley may indeed be defective but I won't be replacing it until trouble appears.
Loud squeal returned one week after sensor service noted above. I will look at replacing generator pulley 55560294.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-19-2015, 10:20 PM   #10
AstraFasta

Apologies for error in terminology mistakenly referencing the Engine Camshaft Position Sensors 55352609. THE FILTERS ARE ON APPARENTLY ON THE "camshaft solenoids"

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...light=55352609

http://www.motor.com/newsletters/201...S7_Saturn.html

http://www.aveoforum.com/forum/f108/...ormance-13668/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-27-2015, 04:00 PM   #11
SteveWoz
SteveWoz is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Ah, good report. Thanks.

Now here's two more if you didn't cover (I think): flush and change the coolant. I'm going to do this long overdue one at 89,600 miles! (The book says every two years. Oops.) And change the brake fluid. Haven't done that one. My brakes are flawless at this point still - though I couldn't see through the wheel spokes on all 4 tires to see how much left on the brake shoes. It can't be much, but no sounds, squeals or rumbly-ness, so I'm gonna wait a bit and get 'er all done by my shop in one visit when I have some $.

Out now to flush the coolant! I love this car!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SteveWoz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SteveWoz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SteveWoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 09:56 AM   #12
emg77
Advanced Member
emg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Be careful about the front brakes. I thought mine looked great at 80,000 miles, but the dealer said they needed to be replaced. They gave me back the pads. the outer pad was over 50%, but the inner pad (on both front wheels) was almost gone. They didn't wear evenly on my car. I was only looking at the outer pad.

Drives: 2014 Volt, 2015 Acadia
Past Cars: 08 Astra, 12 Enclave, 09 Traverse, 05 Vue, 04 Grand Prix, 00 Alero, 97 LeSabre, 72 Cutlass S

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to emg77's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help emg77 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
emg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 03:06 PM   #13
AstraFasta

Quote:

Chirp noise from A/C engagement finally resolved (I think). Last year I replaced the accessory belt and that was a temporary fix for the chirp noise. The chirp noise returned and I asked my local tech to look at the generator pulley. He said the pulley was fine but the belt tensioner was unstable and vibrating; the result was a deteriorated accessory belt and increasingly irritating A/C chirp. So the fix was to replace the accessory belt tensioner and the accessory belt.

Also transmission mount was shot, probably a result of the ubiquitous and terrible potholes throughout New England. That repair reduced road noise and clunk when shifting.

Last edited by AstraFasta; 08-26-2015 at 03:09 PM.. Reason: edit

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-20-2015, 03:42 PM   #14
AstraFasta

We replaced the timing belt, idler pulley and tensioner. The timing belt looked fine. The idler pulley was very greasy so needed replacement.

The check engine light has been coming on intermittently. So we cleaned the MAF sensor and throttle body. Both were quite dirty. Took about 20 minutes and $9.

Combined with all the maintenance in the above posts, the engine is very quiet and virtually free of vibration. Really does run like new. With the windows closed, at 45mph+ I can hear the wind rush by the outside mirrors again.

Just pending flush of brake fluid, coolant, and transmission fluid. And replacement hatchback gas struts. Then maintenance, outside of oil and filter changes, should be done for several years.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-06-2015, 12:43 AM   #15
AstraFasta

The lift-gate was failing to rise completely on its own and was clunking when I hit a pothole.

So I purchased a pair of Magneti Marelli struts from Amazon for $39 shipped from Eastern Europe. The work fine and took less than five minutes to install. I would recommend cleaning off the four ball connectors on the car before installing the new struts. Also, I did not need to lubricate the ball connectors as the new struts had grease packed inside.

The new struts reduced some of the clunking sound. So I extended the two lift-gate bumpers about one turn and put some duct-tape on the striker. I think the duct-tape was the key to ending the clunking as it worked before (but wears out pretty quickly).

Lift-gate works fine and no longer clunks over bumps...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-06-2015, 07:58 AM   #16
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Hi Billy,

Thanks for taking the time to post. I did some research and see that indeed a transmission fluid flush makes sense
I said nothing about flushing the trans- just changing out the fluid- there's a difference.

NO flush!

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 12:42 PM   #17
AstraFasta

Thanks Billy.

This weekend the engine light appeared for an hour or so. The car was as peppy as always and I noticed no difference in drivability. The car stored codes 2122 and 2138.

1. There was a very detailed thread here on those codes noting it may be the Accelerator Pedal Position (APP) sensor:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...highlight=2138

2. There is a TSB relating to a dash-to-body electrical connection grounding issue. Is that related? Where is that connection so I can clean it?

http://www.justanswer.com/saturn/5tv...html#re.v/447/

Any recommendations on next steps?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-27-2015, 05:29 PM   #18
AstraFasta

I saw some potential fixes for Accelerator Pedal Position (APP) sensor codes from several European boards. I think their codes are 112052 & 112252, but not sure.

For example:

1. Clean UEC (Underhood Electrical Centre) with electrical contact cleaner. Some say water enters easily and can trigger these codes. Apparently this is a common problem in European Astras as the internet is littered with related comments. Photos of cleaning process follow:

http://www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co....fira-b.371985/

http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...s-ideas-needed

2. Clean contacts in accelerator pedal housing. Also some people noted the connector plug contacts get dirty or disconnected. Some noted the wires going into the housing were exposed, so check for wear. Photos for cleaning an older Opel Vectra accelerator pedal housing follow but our housing is likely different (and I read that our cover is not so easily removed):

http://www.forocoches.com/foro/showthread.php?t=2859919

My codes 2122 & 2138 are intermittent and just disappeared today on their own. Regardless I may try method #1 above, then coat the cover gasket with dielectric grease to prevent the problem in the future.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-31-2015, 11:09 AM   #19
AstraFasta

So floor at the passenger's back seat is soaking wet.

The car is parked uphill at a moderate grade. I see a small stream of water on the rocker panel by the front door (looks like it drops from about at the middle of the door).

It seems that the water is dripping from inside the door to the top of the rocker panel (the painted part of the frame you see when you open the door), then goes backwards at ~45 degrees to the rubber gasket at the rug then maybe migrates to the rug.

I see some complaints on the UK forums about a leaky front door speaker box.

Also, I had a similar issue with an old VW Golf. That leaking was due to ripped plastic liners inside the doors. Rainwater ran down the side window then the inside plastic liner guided water to the bottom of the door where it would exit drainholes. The plastic liner also prevented water from soaking the door panel or entering the passenger compartment.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-01-2016, 12:54 PM   #20
AstraFasta

Some leaky door posts that may be helpful:

http://carsandcode.blogspot.com/2013...-leak-fix.html

http://www.astraownersnetwork.co.uk/.../t-134145.html

http://www.astraownersnetwork.co.uk/.../t-103570.html

REWARD EXCELLENCE!