SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2017, 03:15 PM   #1
senormark
senormark is on a distinguished road

Default Help with my Saturn

Hi everyone I am new to this site I have been searching around for hours trying to figure out what my issue is and I finally decided to become a member and ask. So hear it goes I have been doing some front end work and checking on my 1998 Saturn sc1 and I just put new brakes on today and I checked all the other front end components and everything is very good tight except for one small thing. When I am driving and turn my wheel I can hear just a small noise coming from the left front side so I investigated further when I had the wheels off today for the break job I was turning the wheel and could not hear any noise. When I put everything back together I opened the drivers window and put my hand on the strut while I was turning the wheel so its just one spot when I turn over that spot there s the noise and I can feel the noise its up at the top of my strut it all appears to look fine so my question is does that sound like the top mount making the little noise? If so can I just replace the top mount? Is there anyway to tighten it to stop the noise? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!! Also I was going to replace the top motor mount and from reading on this forum alot of people say the after market ones are no good can anyone give me a suggestion on what one to get I am trying to avoid putting a lot of money in the car it is really high in km but runs awesome and drives really good as well I like to do preventive maintenance and I am planning on taking it on a trip soon and want to make sure its safe to do so.. Any help is welcomed!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to senormark's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help senormark reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
senormark is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2017, 09:11 PM   #2
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia

2001 SL1
Default Re: Help with my Saturn

Welcome.
You said "does that sound like the top mount making the little noise?"

Are you confusing the top ENGINE mount with the strut mount?? You said the noise was on the LEFT side of the car, whereas the engine mount is on the RIGHT side. Please clarify the issue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 11:02 PM   #3
senormark
senormark is on a distinguished road

No I am not they were 2 separate questions.

I was asking if the strut mount could be making the noise when I am turning the wheel not the hole strut. If it involved the motor mount it wouldn't matter if I was turning or not it would always make a constant noise.

("Also I was going to replace the top motor mount and from reading on this forum a lot of people say the after market ones are no good can anyone give me a suggestion on what one to get"}

I was simply asking a good supplier for the motor mount.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to senormark's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help senormark reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
senormark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 06:46 AM   #4
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia

2001 SL1

$92.92 + freight
https://www.gmpartsnow.com/auto-part...-mounting-scat

You may need new studs also @ $3.44 each.

I see you've posted your same request in the Tech section also.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:36 AM   #5
Saturn Night
Saturn Night has a spectacular aura aboutSaturn Night has a spectacular aura aboutSaturn Night has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2

Yes, Strut mounting plates have a bearing in them, and over time, will eventually begin to make noise.

It is not a common failure on most cars, but given the age of our S-Series, it certainly is possible. Both of mine, in the 1991 Grand Am, are bad and making noise.

Check with a reputable shop and have a suspension inspection done, as they are typically free, and can confirm this. You will need a spring compressor tool, or a press, for removing the plate. You may also need an impact wrench.

1991 Pontiac Grand Am @ 139k - More rust than paint & no leaks
1995 Saturn SC2 @ 179k - 17.2538 @ 77.91mph w/Stock TB
Mechanic: I can't fix stupid, but I can fix what stupid does.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:11 PM   #6
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Probably not as good as the GM mount above, but $19.51 plus shipping at Rockauto gets you a solid mount
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....317273&jsn=372

There should be a coupon code for 5% off floating around somewhere. Check retailmenot.com

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote