SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2017, 01:29 PM   #1
vasaturnowner
vasaturnowner is on a distinguished road

Default Service (Wrench) Light and Coolant Light

Last night I changed my oil and rotated my tires. I was driving this morning and all of a sudden the service light came on. A Richpin video says that it might be caused by a dead dash light.

Anyone know how to reach that light/check its fuse?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vasaturnowner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vasaturnowner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vasaturnowner is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2017, 02:59 PM   #2
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2
Default Re: Service (Wrench) Light and Coolant Light

When you first start your car, all your dash warning lights come on for a few seconds. Look and see what lights don't come on.

With the Service (Wrench) light, it's usually the Service Engine Soon bulb that is out.

The lights are not individually fused so it's probably a bulb rather than fuse, unless you have a whole lot of lights out

You should include year and model in the post, your profile, or your signature. There are different procedures for different year Saturns, and we can link to instructions, if needed, once we know which model/year

Richpin has a video for 2nd gen removal

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 03:50 PM   #3
vasaturnowner

1999 Saturn SL1.

The coolant light is the one that doesn't come on. So I have to remove the dashboard to get it? Seems simple enough. I'll try that sometime this week.

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help vasaturnowner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-12-2017, 04:00 PM   #4
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

That's a 2nd gen, so richpin has a video. I didn't have to drop the steering column; just lowered it as far as it will go.

Low Saturn also has instructions, a few steps can be skipped
http://www.differentracing.com/tech_...99cluster.html

This thread has a pic of the back of the panel - you might be able to reach the coolant bulb by taking just the top dash panel off, going in from the passenger side, and going by feel.
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=154888

^ ^ ^ in that thread, you'll note that I discovered I have bulbs for ABS and traction control warning lights. My car does not have ABS or traction control - so my panel had spare bulbs for me to use!

(I think the tailgate bulb is also extra, only lights up if station wagon gate is left open, but not positive)

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 05:08 PM   #5
vasaturnowner

Yeah I noticed that my dashboard has ABS and traction control lights as well. When I first bought the car I was wondering why I had the lights and fuses, but never had it engage when I tried to brake on gravel.

Is there a type of bulb you recommend other than what the owner's manual says?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!