SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2017, 11:32 AM   #1
AndersonSC1
AndersonSC1 has a spectacular aura aboutAndersonSC1 has a spectacular aura about

2001 SC1
Default 2001 SC1 Engine Ticking

I've noticed that my Saturn has developed a relatively loud ticking noise and I'm not aware of what could be making this noise. It reminds me of a diesel engine running.

The ticking seemed to develop overnight. When I first noticed the sound, I checked my oil and it was well within a tolerable range.

The car has 210,000mi on it, but a "newer" engine was swapped into the body (according to the guy I bought it from around 3 years ago ).

I've uploaded a video of what it sounds like:
youtube.com/watch?v=yuxrk65bBpg

Is it safe to drive like this? For awhile, anyway?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AndersonSC1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AndersonSC1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AndersonSC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2017, 12:17 PM   #2
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2
Default Re: 2001 SC1 Engine Ticking

Does the rate of ticking increase with rpm, or does it go away? Worried this might be timing chain if it doesn't go away. I see your spark plug wires vibrating with the sound. Do you feel the vibration in the cabin?

Does the ticking go away when the engine is further warmed up?

What do you consider a "tolerable range" for your oil? FYI, if my engine oil is at one diamond below the Full mark on the dipstick I add oil. You want to keep your oil at or slightly above the Full mark at all times.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 02:31 PM   #3
AndersonSC1
AndersonSC1 has a spectacular aura aboutAndersonSC1 has a spectacular aura about

2001 SC1

The ticking does increase with rpm, and it doesn't seem to go away once the car has been warmed up.

I don't notice any vibration in the cabin, but now that you mention it looks like there could be a slight misfire?

I try to keep my oil near the full mark, or at least in the upper half of the crosshatching.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help AndersonSC1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-12-2017, 02:50 PM   #4
AndersonSC1

2001 SC1

Update: I just checked and there is a slight vibration at idle in the cabin, nothing crazy but it's there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-12-2017, 02:52 PM   #5
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersonSC1 View Post
The ticking does increase with rpm, and it doesn't seem to go away once the car has been warmed up.
When the engine is cold, remove the serpentine belt. Then start the engine - if the sound is gone, the sound is coming from something belt operated, like the tensioner, water pump pulley, etc.
you can run it safely for a minute or two, but this should only take maybe 10 seconds. Richpin06a has a video on removing the belt, if needed.

A sound that goes away when warmed could be lifters, etc., or at higher rpms could be related to heat shields or mounts etc. Unfortunately, your sound does not go away

This one was confirmed to be a timing chain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOoUJpq6dFI

It sounds deeper and faster pitched than your video, but that might be differences in DOHC vs SOHC or recording equipment
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuxrk65bBpg

(it's hard to diagnose sounds on the internet )

These cars are good at picking up misfires, so unless you have a code (P030x where x = 0-4), probably no misfire

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-12-2017, 02:57 PM   #6
alordofchaos

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Very slight vibes are usually the top motor mount slightly worn.

Forgot your original question, if the sound just started and it's the chain, could drive it a while, probably. YMMV, there's always a risk - everyone drives in somewhat unique conditions.

My '98 was making the sound for the previous owner, and I drove the car 60 miles home in December (icy roads, cold out) with a bad chain. Also drove the car a few miles, started it to move in and out garage, etc., while testing it out at home

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-12-2017, 04:14 PM   #7
cgg17
cgg17 is on a distinguished road

My father was a Saturn tech during the late 1990's, and I showed him the video. He immediate said it sounds like a noisy lifter, and he said that a possible cure could be running top engine cleaner or ATF in the oil (though not the best IMO). Thought I would leave this here, hopefully it helps to keep this beast on the road.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cgg17's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cgg17 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cgg17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 07:17 PM   #8
NWSaturn247
Advanced Member
NWSaturn247 is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2

Rislone Engine Treatment is less than $5 at Wal-Mart. Worth a shot, will do no harm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170812_171336.jpg (60.5 KB, 6 views)

1993 SL2 AT - 181k miles
running Valvoline HM 5w-30 + LM2009 & PSL20195

TCW3 dosed fuel

Goldie: a dame to kill for...watch out squirrels!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NWSaturn247's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NWSaturn247 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NWSaturn247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:07 PM   #9
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia

2001 SL1

I like what Cgg17 said, that his dad who was a Saturn Tech said, to use ATF in the oil.
I have done this for decades on every car I have owned and on every oil change on these cars....it does no harm, only good.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:51 AM   #10
Saturn Night
Saturn Night has a spectacular aura aboutSaturn Night has a spectacular aura aboutSaturn Night has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by toggenburg View Post
I like what Cgg17 said, that his dad who was a Saturn Tech said, to use ATF in the oil.
I have done this for decades on every car I have owned and on every oil change on these cars....it does no harm, only good.
That was what my grandpa told me, when I explained how carboned the cylinder head was, when I got my Saturn. He told me to run ATF in the oil. I have never known grandpa to blow an engine in amy of his vehicles, either....

1991 Pontiac Grand Am @ 139k - More rust than paint & no leaks
1995 Saturn SC2 @ 179k - 17.2538 @ 77.91mph w/Stock TB
Mechanic: I can't fix stupid, but I can fix what stupid does.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:57 AM   #11
Saturn Night
Saturn Night has a spectacular aura aboutSaturn Night has a spectacular aura aboutSaturn Night has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2

That sounds a little bit loud, for a lifter tap. However, it IS at the top of the engine, and definitely not the chain. Sounds similar to my friend's Kia. He ran out of oil in it, and it made almost the exact same noises, after he refilled it.

For the cost of a valve cover gasket, it may be a good idea to inspect the valve train for signs of visible wear on the rocker arms, springs, and camshaft. This will also allow you to check for play in the timing chain, and see what condition it is in.

May want to run Castrol GTX of Mobil 1 during OCIs, as they are oils on the higher side of quality, without killing your wallet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-14-2017, 12:58 PM   #12
AndersonSC1

2001 SC1

Thanks for the responses. I took my first real drive in the car since it started ticking, and I have power loss now. Still drivable, but I know it had more power before this ticking started.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-14-2017, 08:50 PM   #13
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia

2001 SL1

So, have you done anything or just driving it as it was?
Surely you will take your Father's advice and try adding ATF to the oil....and I myself would add 1/2 pint ATF into the gas, it MAY eliminate the ticking all by itself from what I have experienced over the years with other vehicles that HAD a tick (past tense intended)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 03:46 PM   #14
AndersonSC1

2001 SC1

Added Rislone but it didn't help.

I decided to pull the valve cover and I noticed that I could move the rocker arm vertically to depress the lifter above cylinder 1. I couldn't do that with any of the others. Uploading another video showing the problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-17-2017, 04:23 PM   #15
AndersonSC1

2001 SC1

I'm assuming my power loss that started when the ticking did is correlated with this...

youtube.com/watch?v=hbnTE6ZvC8A

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-17-2017, 04:56 PM   #16
Jonasan308
Advanced Member
Jonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of light

1999 SC1

Unless its supposed to be doing that, that does look really suspicious that you can get that one to move but not the others.

1999 Saturn SL1-129k at purchase(may 2016)-139k when wrecked(September 2016)

1999 Saturn SC1(This car is cursed)-156K at purchase(october 2016)-170k currently (jun 2017)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jonasan308's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jonasan308 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jonasan308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 05:09 PM   #17
Claybury
Claybury will become famous soon enough

Probably stuck. IIRC, OldNuc has posted how to clean them.

2002 SC2 1.9L
2007 Vue 3.5L
1985 Fiero SE 3.1L
1974 Triumph Spitfire 3.1L V6
2002 Ram duelly diesel 5.9L
1975 Honda PA50 0.05L (Swarm and destroy)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Claybury's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Claybury reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Claybury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 06:21 PM   #18
AndersonSC1

2001 SC1

I ended up going to the j/y to find a lifter in good condition and swapped it out for the spongy one, and voila! My engine stopped ticking and engine performance went back to normal.

However, another problem arose. When removing the rocker shafts to replace the lifter I noticed one of the shafts was cracked! Perhaps loosening the bolts that held it on caused it to crack,
but it must have been pretty weak already. Had to go back to the j/y to pick up a rocker shaft.

Here are some pictures for reference:

The j/y shaft all cleaned up.

The old Saturn keeps on rollin'

Last edited by AndersonSC1; 08-19-2017 at 06:26 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-21-2017, 12:34 AM   #19
Saturn Night

1995 SC2

Wow! No wonder you had a bad ticking. That engine is fairly CLEAN, too. Never seen a rocker shaft crack, like that, before. And I have pulled plenty of SOHC 1.9L Heads(thanks to the cracking-prone casting design)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-21-2017, 10:16 AM   #20
alordofchaos

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Nice work there!

I hate making return trips to the JY or parts store.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!