SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 03:00 PM   #1
barb61
barb61 is on a distinguished road

Question Steering wheel shakes when braking...

Hi there.
I'm still in love with our new car, but I do have a question...I've been noticing kind of a vibration when I start to brake after going at a good speed (not really fast, but not coasting, either). At first I thought it felt like when I had a warped rotor in my old car, although I don't think my brake pedal goes up and down like that...Today I let go of my steering wheel when I braked and it was shaking back and forth. It only does this when I brake as mentioned.

Any ideas? Brakes? Rotors? Steering? Alignment? I will probably take it in to the dealer, but I'm just curious what you all think.

Thanks!

Barb

p.s. Thanks for all the congrats. I truly have been enjoying the car!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to barb61's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help barb61 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2003, 03:32 PM   #2
silverblueL200

If its under braking only, it sounds like rotors to me...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to silverblueL200's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help silverblueL200 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!

Old 08-07-2003, 03:43 PM   #3
benson500
benson500 is on a distinguished road

Barb,

How old is your car? When I first got my ION, I thought the same thing -- "How could my new car have warped rotors?" I felt it at highway speeds while braking for exits and such. Oddly, it only lasted for a few weeks and now it's gone. I have no explanation for what caused it.

Strange

Your's may go away on its own too.

[I]Former owner: '93 SC2 and '03 ION3.....[/I]

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to benson500's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help benson500 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-07-2003, 03:50 PM   #4
Jaseball
Master Member
Jaseball will become famous soon enough

It sounds like it could be the brake pads wearing in, but if the car is already past 500 miles and the condition is not improving or has not disappeared I'd have it checked out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jaseball's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jaseball reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-07-2003, 04:02 PM   #5
barb61

I only have about 150 miles on it. If it were the rotors, wouldn't I feel it in the brake pedal?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help barb61 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-07-2003, 04:38 PM   #6
Jaseball
Master Member

With the car being at 150 miles, there is almost no way the rotors could be warped or worn down to the point where it would affect your braking or where you would feel anything through the pedal.

The brake pads are still new and are still forming with your brake system and this is the most likely cause.

I would suggeste taking it easy on the brakes and let the pads wear down. After 300 miles or so, stomp on the brakes in a hard stop in a safe location to let the self adjustment work.

It should clear up on it's own. The car and brakes are new and things have to be broken in. In your situation it is nothing to worry about, unless the conditions change or the problem does not go away after a few hundred miles more.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Jaseball reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-07-2003, 05:30 PM   #7
barb61

Thanks. That makes me feel a bit better. I remember reading in the manual (yes, I actually read it...)that you should avoid hard stops until 500 mi. Maybe that is so they can be broken in, as you said...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-07-2003, 05:53 PM   #8
Jaseball
Master Member

Just pay attention to it and be sure to mention it to service if it gets worse or you are concerned.

I know on my own Ion I had very minor squeaks and sleight vibration at first, but it was nothing that made me concerned.

Maybe check in on the Tech section here on this site or wait until a tech spots this thread and makes a comment. Good luck and let us know how things go.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-07-2003, 08:42 PM   #9
mtlmutt
Advanced Member
mtlmutt is on a distinguished road

did you buy aftermarket wheels with your car?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mtlmutt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mtlmutt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-07-2003, 10:21 PM   #10
amosstar
amosstar is on a distinguished road

Did you hit a pothole? Could be the tires out of whack? Other than this....I had a similar problem with the VUE (9600 miles) and it turned out to be warped rotors. Good to have a warranty!

- Ali

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amosstar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amosstar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-07-2003, 10:25 PM   #11
PAGuy77
PAGuy77 is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-3 Sedan

I just started feeling the steering wheel vibration recently myself. It only happens after coming down from a higher speed (40 or above). 40 and below, it doesn't do anything. Not sure. I have checked the rotors, and they look just fine to me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PAGuy77's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PAGuy77 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-08-2003, 08:28 AM   #12
barb61

Quote:
Originally posted by mtlmutt
did you buy aftermarket wheels with your car?
Nope. Didn't buy any before market stuff either Very basic Ion 2.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-08-2003, 09:24 AM   #13
HiWire
HiWire is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
Default Vibration

Sounds like rust on the rotors. Does it go away after a while?

Modified SC2

Take it to the track

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HiWire's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HiWire reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-08-2003, 09:53 AM   #14
AZguy
Advanced Member
AZguy is on a distinguished road

Since the wobble only occurs while braking, my vote goes for warped rotors or a defective pad. Yea, you only have 150mi on your car but there's really nothing else that would cause a wobble ONLY when you brake other than something associated with the braking system like rotors, pads, or calipers. It's not likely one of the calipers are bad so I vote for the rotors or pads. Have the dealer look at it... it will not cost you a penny and it's best go get it looked at before something serious happens.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AZguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AZguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-08-2003, 10:40 AM   #15
Cap138
Cap138 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Barb,

I've also had the same shaking that you describe happen to me right after I bought my ION. The steering wheel shakes a little and I can feel pulsating in the brake pedal when the brakes are applied quickly at speeds in excess of 50. It exactly matches the sympotms of warped rotors. But I've recently hit the 500 mile mark and haven't noticed it too much since then, so I'm thinking it could just be the "breaking-in" of the new brakes parts.

I've also noticed a slight vibration while just coasting in the 50-70 mph range, maybe a wheel is out of balance and it could be responsible for the braking vibration as well. I'm going to take it in to Saturn sometime next week and have both vibrations checked out.

Other than the slight vibration, my ION has been great for the first 500!

2008 Astra 5-dr XR
black sapphire, manual
leather, sport, sunroof, adv audio
2000 SL1
2003 Ion3

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cap138's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cap138 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-10-2003, 11:46 AM   #16
barb61

We're going to one of those "new owner" service things (complete w/ a light dinner!) at the dealer on Thurs., so I'll ask about it then. It seems like it may be getting a bit better, but I'm not sure. I'll let you know what they say...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-10-2003, 07:32 PM   #17
PhotoPaul
PhotoPaul is on a distinguished road

I've noticed the steering wheel shaking, but in my case it is usually at lower speed, and I've not had any pedal pulsing to go with it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PhotoPaul's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PhotoPaul reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-11-2003, 07:24 AM   #18
cris_thomas
Advanced Member
cris_thomas is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
1995 SC2
Default Wheel balance

Shaking while under braking can also be caused by unbalanced wheels. This will be more noticeable at higher speeds. If the little weights they ad to a wheel to balance them have fallen off it could cause the steering wheel to vibrate when braking.

Since your car is so new I would just take it back to the dealer and ask them to look at it.

- Cris

- Cris Thomas
SPOC New England
http://www.spocne.org

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cris_thomas's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cris_thomas reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-23-2003, 06:30 PM   #19
andersjakyleros
andersjakyleros is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-2 Sedan
Devil

Had the same problem and Saturn had to replace the rotors and drums after the first week of ownership.

2003 Ion-2 Silver-Blue Konig 17" Monsoon Wheels
Dunlop Sport A2 Tires

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to andersjakyleros's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help andersjakyleros reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-24-2003, 04:18 PM   #20
100KSW2
Master Member
100KSW2 is on a distinguished road

Barb

You should have this checked out. It could be the brake rotors or an out of balance wheel (a wheel weight missing or even a clump of mud), but anything stopping related is something to be checked out.

If this is your first Saturn then I hope that you will be very pleasantly surprised by that award winning Saturn service. They really do want you to be happy!

Best wishes with your new car.

Jim

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 100KSW2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 100KSW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread