SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > 2008 Vue
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2017, 10:50 AM   #1
SamC130
SamC130 is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L
Default Check Engine, TCS lights, won't shift

Yesterday afternoon we were leaving a Sonic when we heard a sound like the automatic transmission being placed in drive. I believe we were stopped at the time, although I don't know why (my wife was driving.) The transmission became sluggish, as if it was stuck in one gear. The check engine and TCS lights both came on. We drove home at low speed. I called my repair shop and the owner suggested having it brought in. This morning I called AAA and set up a truck. My wife decided to see what the car would do and found that the transmission was working normally. I went out to check it myself and the check engine light had gone off and it was driving normally. I've not heard back from my mechanic yet. My first thought was the clutch problem so many have had but it doesn't fit the description - it would go into reverse. I talked to an AAMCO mechanic and it said it might not necessarily be the clutch and mentioned something having to do with a wheel. I didn't catch exactly what all he said but I believe it was probably the TCS system. We'll see what the verdict is.

We've had it since September 2008 and just turned 90,000 miles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SamC130's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SamC130 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SamC130 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2017, 01:11 PM   #2
SamC130
SamC130 is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L
Default Re: Check Engine, TCS lights, won't shift

Well, I got a call from my repair shop owner. He says that the computer showed a number of events and that the basic diagnosis is that the transmission is "dying." He recommended a rebuild. The good news it that the cost probably won't be excessive. It turns out he and a partner have their own transmission shop where they rebuild transmissions for other repair shops who don't have the capability. He says that in view of the Vue's condition (pun intentional) it's worth is. Our Vue just went over 90,000 but its in very good condition both inside and out, with only a couple of dings and some peeling paint on the visor (or whatever you want to call it) above the rear window. It could be worse, I suppose.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SamC130's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SamC130 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SamC130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 02:09 PM   #3
gm7
Advanced Member
gm7 will become famous soon enoughgm7 will become famous soon enough

2009 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamC130 View Post
Well, I got a call from my repair shop owner. He says that the computer showed a number of events and that the basic diagnosis is that the transmission is "dying." He recommended a rebuild. The good news it that the cost probably won't be excessive. It turns out he and a partner have their own transmission shop where they rebuild transmissions for other repair shops who don't have the capability. He says that in view of the Vue's condition (pun intentional) it's worth is. Our Vue just went over 90,000 but its in very good condition both inside and out, with only a couple of dings and some peeling paint on the visor (or whatever you want to call it) above the rear window. It could be worse, I suppose.
Why haven't you contacted the dealer? There is a TSB for the trans in these cars failing. GM under siege by lawsuits for the 3-5-R waveplate failing gave a 10 yr. extended warranty.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gm7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gm7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gm7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 09:17 AM   #4
ImNew2Vues
ImNew2Vues is on a distinguished road

Exactly! If your car is less than 10 years old and has less than 122,000 miles they will rebuild it for free. I have informed 2 others of this and they both received a rebuild for $0.00. Get it to the GM dealer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ImNew2Vues's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ImNew2Vues reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ImNew2Vues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 12:21 PM   #5
lord_varon
Advanced Member
lord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of light

2008 VUE 3.6L

Hey all,
SamC, definitely look into the extended coverage on the trans. I just recently bought an 08 Equinox Sport with the 3.6 and the 6 spd auto, everything the same as the Vue, and sure enough the trans is acting up. The little used car dealer is no help, so I just called my local Chevrolet dealer, and they said, 'Yes, the warrenty coverage on your trans is good until november of this year.... bring it in. If the problem is the wave plate, we will fix it for free.'
Get it in there now though, as it is 10 years or 120k from the date of first purchase.

John

aka
Lord_Varon
07 Vue V6 AWD LOADED!!! aka SUPER CRITTER!!! Sadly gone, and definitely missed.
08 Equinox Sport 3.6 6 spd auto, AWD, even more loaded. And the jury is still out on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lord_varon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lord_varon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lord_varon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 05:55 PM   #6
homerec130
homerec130 is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L
2006 VUE 3.5L

Bring it in. They should honor the warranty.

They go by date of purchase, not delivery. I was off by 4 days based on purchase but inside the window based on delivery and have all the documentation that shows the later date. GM would not budge and said, sorry. Delay between the two dates was the dealer could not deliver on the same day. Vehicle was still wrapped from shipment.

Homer

Paul "Homer" Simpson
15 Ford Fiesta, Gray
06 Vue 3.5L, FWD, Storm Grey (Wife's Ride)

08 Vue 3.6L, FWD, Sunburst Orange - RIP 6T70

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to homerec130's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help homerec130 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
homerec130 is offline   Reply With Quote