SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2017, 09:28 PM   #1
FreedomSoftware
FreedomSoftware is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Throttle Body

So I was driving a bit ago down a country road doing about 45. My check engine light came on and it felt like the top half of my gas peddle didn't do anything. Has any one encountered this issue? I'm gonna get a scanner from work tomorrow and get the code for the light and see exactly what it is. I cleaned the throttle body about 5 or 6 months ago so I feel that's not the issue.

'08 Saturn Astra
-Windows Tint all around
-JVC Head unit
-Dual 12" Subs
-Black Painted Roof Rack

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FreedomSoftware's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FreedomSoftware reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FreedomSoftware is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2017, 07:21 AM   #2
emg77
Advanced Member
emg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Throttle Body

Yeah, check the code. The only time I seriously lost power was when my coil pack went. It started running rough, seemed like it was going to stall, and didn't have much power. It was an instant change, and the engine light came on almost immediately. Luckily I was about a 1/4 mile from home, so I limped it home, put my spare coil pack in the next day, and then ordered a new one. I can't remember the code, but it wasn't super clear that it was a coil, but it did mention a misfire in one of the cylinders. After that experience my spare coil took up permanent residence in my trunk, as well as a small tool kit, so I could change it if I needed to on the road.

Hopefully it's that simple for you. I'm sure we'll know more if you post the code.

Drives: 2014 Volt, 2015 Acadia
Past Cars: 08 Astra, 12 Enclave, 09 Traverse, 05 Vue, 04 Grand Prix, 00 Alero, 97 LeSabre, 72 Cutlass S

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to emg77's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help emg77 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
emg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:09 PM   #3
FreedomSoftware

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by emg77 View Post
Yeah, check the code. The only time I seriously lost power was when my coil pack went. It started running rough, seemed like it was going to stall, and didn't have much power. It was an instant change, and the engine light came on almost immediately. Luckily I was about a 1/4 mile from home, so I limped it home, put my spare coil pack in the next day, and then ordered a new one. I can't remember the code, but it wasn't super clear that it was a coil, but it did mention a misfire in one of the cylinders. After that experience my spare coil took up permanent residence in my trunk, as well as a small tool kit, so I could change it if I needed to on the road.

Hopefully it's that simple for you. I'm sure we'll know more if you post the code.
This has happened to me and it wasnt this. It was just the top of gas peddle wasnt working.

The code was P2138 "Throttle / Pedal Pos Sensor / Switch D / E Voltage Correlation" was what it read.

'08 Saturn Astra
-Windows Tint all around
-JVC Head unit
-Dual 12" Subs
-Black Painted Roof Rack

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help FreedomSoftware reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-02-2017, 06:00 PM   #4
TDA
TDA is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

That sounds to me like it could be the sensor on the peddle itself going out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TDA's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TDA reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 04:12 PM   #5
FreedomSoftware

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDA View Post
That sounds to me like it could be the sensor on the peddle itself going out.
Thats what a mechanic I work with said. Thought it could be the throttle position sensor or the actual peddle going dead. Weird thing is I took note of the code and cleared it, and hasn't had the issue since. My peddle has always been a little finicky too

'08 Saturn Astra
-Windows Tint all around
-JVC Head unit
-Dual 12" Subs
-Black Painted Roof Rack

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-06-2017, 04:33 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If your throttle (electric) and pedal (electronic) are part of a drive by wire system, you'll need to read about dbw systems and problems associated with them. The third and most important component of dbw is the ECM; pedal signals sent to the ECM, ECM commands the electric servo motor to move throttle. Throttle and pedal have dual position sensors for redundancy and safety to prevent engine runaway. Any error from one of four position sensors can trigger reduced power mode, more commonly known as limp home mode where the engine won't quit but allow just enough power to drive off a highway or street to a safe place for the emergency call.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 04:51 PM   #7
FreedomSoftware

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
If your throttle (electric) and pedal (electronic) are part of a drive by wire system, you'll need to read about dbw systems and problems associated with them. The third and most important component of dbw is the ECM; pedal signals sent to the ECM, ECM commands the electric servo motor to move throttle. Throttle and pedal have dual position sensors for redundancy and safety to prevent engine runaway. Any error from one of four position sensors can trigger reduced power mode, more commonly known as limp home mode where the engine won't quit but allow just enough power to drive off a highway or street to a safe place for the emergency call.
Well when this happened my car didn't go into limp mode, its like the top half of my peddle just wouldn't do anything. Only the bottom half would and it did have reduced power. But after a reset, it was fine and has been since then.

'08 Saturn Astra
-Windows Tint all around
-JVC Head unit
-Dual 12" Subs
-Black Painted Roof Rack

REWARD EXCELLENCE!