SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2017, 10:29 PM   #1
tasty
tasty is on a distinguished road

Default Homecoming gauges in '02

Found a '99 homecoming in a nearby junkyard, mostly picked apart but I was able to snag the gauge cluster.

I have an '02 sl2, and I'm not clear on whether it will be compatible. Will it be a clean swap? If not, can it be made to work?

Thanks all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nAJtta5.jpg (103.6 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg mSQ74PL.jpg (122.5 KB, 16 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tasty's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tasty reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tasty is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2017, 07:12 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Homecoming gauges in '02

The 99 and older are all analog instruments and the 00-02 are all digital. A face swap is all you can do and that is a lot of work as they are both constructed to be non repairable. Disassembly is difficult.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 11:09 PM   #3
Saturn Night
Saturn Night has a spectacular aura aboutSaturn Night has a spectacular aura aboutSaturn Night has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
The 99 and older are all analog instruments and the 00-02 are all digital. A face swap is all you can do and that is a lot of work as they are both constructed to be non repairable. Disassembly is difficult.
By analog/digital, are you referring to the gauges themselves and BCM? The odometer is digital on 1999 models.

1991 Pontiac Grand Am @ 140k - More rust than paint & no leaks
1995 Saturn SC2 @ 181k - 17.2538 @ 77.91mph w/Stock TB
Mechanic: I can't fix stupid, but I can fix what stupid does.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 12:50 AM   #4
tasty

It's digital. Looks like the 02s might have a single connector unlike the 99?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help tasty reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-01-2017, 01:50 AM   #5
tasty

Ignoring the connectors, looks like the 99s store the odo data in the cluster. Have to wonder if this can be made to work.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-01-2017, 10:39 AM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

I am not talking about the ODOMETER! The entire 00-02 cluster is driven by a single serial data link from the BCM. All the remaining wires are for lighting primarily. The 99 and older cluster will not function in a 00-02 car ever.

There used to be white face overlays that could be applied to any cluster but they required pulling the pointers which tends to result in the "accidental" destruction of the indicator and/or loss of calibration.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 02:22 PM   #7
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

What if you also swapped the PCM and re-did the car's wiring?

Never compared the two, so if the two clusters aren't exactly the same shape, you also need to re-do the dash and interior

Probably easier to buy a spare 00-02 cluster and to the white-face swap, or pull a cluster from one of the few models where they are swappable

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:47 PM   #8
tasty

Thanks for the clarification, Old. Looks like this is a bigger project than I'd like to take on.

Unless someone's interested in it, looks like I've found myself a mantelpiece.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-02-2017, 02:57 PM   #9
Saturn Night
Saturn Night has a spectacular aura aboutSaturn Night has a spectacular aura aboutSaturn Night has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
I am not talking about the ODOMETER! The entire 00-02 cluster is driven by a single serial data link from the BCM. All the remaining wires are for lighting primarily. The 99 and older cluster will not function in a 00-02 car ever.

There used to be white face overlays that could be applied to any cluster but they required pulling the pointers which tends to result in the "accidental" destruction of the indicator and/or loss of calibration.
Would it work in a 1995 SC2(since I have the 2nd Gen interior)?

OP, hold onto that cluster. I MIGHT be interested in it, IF it works in my dash and can't find one locally at a salvage yard.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-02-2017, 04:10 PM   #10
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

fetchitfido says '95 is unique.
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=199152

some more discussion here
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=152969

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-02-2017, 06:20 PM   #11
Saturn Night

1995 SC2

Yeah, that looks like I PITA. I'll keep my stock gauges. There is nothing wrong with them, and the odometer gears still work perfectly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-03-2017, 01:11 PM   #12
alordofchaos

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

This is the actual procedure for printing and installing overlays on a 2nd gen, if you change your mind, or someone else finds this thread on search. Too bad theRob's site is 404, was always an amusing read. Lots of good stuff on there.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf White Face Gauges theRob.pdf (43.2 KB, 1 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-03-2017, 06:34 PM   #13
alordofchaos

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

For the OP, this is what is compatible with your '02 instrument panel (not my info, notes I took from other posts on saturnfans)

looks like fetchfido provided the info, here

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=207341
Quote:
03-04 Saturn L-series (no issues)

02-07 Saturn Vue (service wrench light stays on) IMO looks the coolest
04-07 are white faced, 02-03 look same as S series

05-06 Chevy Equinox (traction control light stays on) Bland, basically stock S-Series with a silver trim around the main gauges

05-06 Pontiac Torrent (traction control light stays on),"upgraded" factory look, and glows red with the lights on, color can't be changed due to the film over the gauges

the Vue and Equinox clusters throw the wrench light.
The Torrent cluster throws the TC (Traction Control) light but NOT the wrench

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-04-2017, 12:49 AM   #14
tasty

Thanks, chaos. I'd considered the options before, but with the Homecoming gauges incompatible it looks like I'll be picking up a Torrent cluster.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!