SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2017, 07:34 PM   #1
smith180
smith180 is on a distinguished road

Wrench A/C Not Cold

Over the last two summers, the AC on my wife's Vue has gotten less cold and finally stopped cooling altogether. The car is a 2006 Saturn Vue 4 cylinder 2WD.

I'm new to the forum and have been spending a lot of time reading up on AC issues and fixes. I haven't found clear information on AC pressures. Apparently it's not a simple thing. Before I ask, here is what I've observed/checked:
  • Compressor clutch does engage when AC is turned on
  • Condenser fan turns on when AC is turned on
  • HP side = 70 psi, Low side = 22 psi (78F outside)
  • Checked and replaced a filthy cabin air filter
  • Found dye/oil stain on compressor using UV light

There is a diamond shaped cover on the compressor where the leak appears to be coming from. I've read that is the cover for the scroll control valve and there is also an o-ring seal.

From the pressures I've measured, is my refrigerant low? I can't seem to find a straight answer on the forums, online, or in my Hayes repair manual. (Manifold gauges on loan from AutoZone)

If it is low, I might be tempted to charge it up and see whether it makes it through the summer since it lost it's cool so gradually. If it is warm again in a week, I would begin repairs on the leak. Is my refrigerant low? Am I on the right track?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to smith180's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help smith180 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
smith180 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2017, 08:53 PM   #2
atikovi
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

Default Re: A/C Not Cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith180 View Post
[*]HP side = 70 psi
Way too low, should be at least double that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to atikovi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help atikovi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:09 PM   #3
smith180

Thanks! I think I'll go ahead with a recharge. I'll post the results tomorrow.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help smith180 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-28-2017, 09:30 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Finding dye means a leak occurred and the reason for loss of cooling. Refilling a leaking system is just wasting money and refrigerant while not addressing the leak. The scroll control valve is a common problem on Vues using scroll compressors. If you did a thorough uv light search of your ac system and only find dye/oil on the compressor scroll control cover, repairs may be less costly if you can make your own repairs by replacing the scroll control valve, orifice tube and O-ring. Using gauges and evacuation pump is either your choice to continue with restoring ac cooling or have a shop finish repairs.

Here's a link to explain failure; http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=191521.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:47 PM   #5
smith180

I had encountered that thread before but it didn't seem like a leak issue. After reading through it thoroughly, it seems likely there's more going on behind that cover. I'll order the replacement valve Monday. I didn't read anything about an orifice tube. Are you talking about a filter that is supposed to come with the valve or a different component?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-29-2017, 06:59 AM   #6
atikovi
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith180 View Post
I didn't read anything about an orifice tube. Are you talking about a filter that is supposed to come with the valve or a different component?
Yes the x thing below the valve. Should come in a kit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help atikovi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-29-2017, 09:10 AM   #7
smith180

Happy Re: A/C Not Cold

OK. Thanks for the clarification. Also that picture is really helpful. Was wondering what it looked like in there!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-29-2017, 09:30 AM   #8
atikovi

Just hope nobody used any leak sealer before or you will have to remove the compressor to get it out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!