SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > 2008 Vue
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2017, 04:15 PM   #1
Nousentre
Nousentre is on a distinguished road

Default Torque specifications for brake and wheel bearing

Couldn't find on 2008 vue forum
Amazon has two repair books on 2008 vue, but with poor reviews

I'm replacing rear wheel bearings on 4cylinder vue. Can't find torque specs on brake calipers and wheel bearing bolts online. I even searched the similar 2012 chevy captiva.

Can someone point me in the right direction online, or have those specs? Perhaps the Haynes and Chilton manuals DO cover rear brake and wheel bearing torque specs?

Thank you in advance!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nousentre's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nousentre reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Nousentre is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2017, 07:57 PM   #2
ArtVandelay
ArtVandelay is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Torque specifications for brake and wheel bearing

I have the 2009 factory service manual. Rear wheel bearing bolts are 55 ft-lb (75 N-m). The rear caliper bracket bolts are 89 ft-lb (120 N-m). The caliper guide pin bolts are 20 ft-lb (27 N-m).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ArtVandelay's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ArtVandelay reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ArtVandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 05:02 AM   #3
gm7
Advanced Member
gm7 will become famous soon enoughgm7 will become famous soon enough

2009 VUE Red Line
Default Re: Torque specifications for brake and wheel bearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtVandelay View Post
I have the 2009 factory service manual. Rear wheel bearing bolts are 55 ft-lb (75 N-m). The rear caliper bracket bolts are 89 ft-lb (120 N-m). The caliper guide pin bolts are 20 ft-lb (27 N-m).
Torque values look correct relative to the front hub assembly...now both replaced on my '09 Vue Redline with 40K on the clock...first was replaced under warranty. Second front hub assembly RHS was replaced about a year ago. I am a home mechanic who has wrenched on countless cars...and owned many performance cars. So as an old man took it upon myself to change the front hub assembly RHS. Not to be....broke all the bolts loose, got the big nut holding spline to half shaft off...brake caliper off...tore it all down...rented a slide hammer...even used propane heat...copious PB blaster...no go. Couldn't get the GD thing off whaling on it with slide hammer and neighbor with 3lb sledge on the wheel hub flange.

What did I do?...put it back together (at slightly reduced torque)...called local mechanic and with new front wheel hub in the trunk...drove it to have them 'work on it'...explaining what I had tried. What did they do? They had to use big Acetylene tanks and get it red hot to break the rust bond. I didn't have that level of heat and glad they could get it apart. Wasn't coming off for me after wacking the $h!t out of it. So word to the wise about the wheel bearings for these cars that spend winters in the salt. You will likely need to bring big heat to break the rust bon.

So thought I would provide my experience with the front. Btw, I have a very slight whine now in the back at highway speed which 'sounds like' a slightly disparaged bearing in the back and not a tire issue...but not ruling out a tire either. With the car in the air....spinning the rear wheels on both sides...my car is FWD and rear wheels spin freely... both rear bearings sound and feel fine...no vibration in the spring when spinning the wheel...typically a telltale of a bad bearing. So maybe a tire because they are original Hankook 235-18's...not sure but noise level isn't anything near what the front sounded like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Saturn Front Hub Removal.jpg (194.7 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by gm7; 07-25-2017 at 05:08 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gm7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gm7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gm7 is offline   Reply With Quote