SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2017, 11:21 PM   #1
canada_rokzz
canada_rokzz is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Dash Cam?

Who has a dash cam?

What did you buy and would you recommend it?
Did you get a forward or both forward and rear facing?
Where did you mount it?
Where did you get power from?
Did you hide the cable(S)?

2008 Saturn Astra XR 3 Door

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to canada_rokzz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help canada_rokzz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
canada_rokzz is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2017, 03:00 AM   #2
hallzy
hallzy is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2
Default Re: Dash Cam?

Quote:
Who has a dash cam?
I do

Quote:
What did you buy and would you recommend it?
I bought the Viofo A119 Camera and i would recommend it. Have not had any problems (I have also used the mobius action cams with mixed results. I have yet to have it work reliably personally, but I know someone who seems to not have had a problem with it yet, and on youtube DashcamVancouver uses the mobius (in case you want to get a better idea of the footage).

I have a youtube account called VanCityDash where I post videos of the Viofo if you want a better Idea.

I could send you the links of everything I bought including the camera, sd card, and polar filter for the camera if you want (apparently I haven't posted enough to actually be allowed to post URLs)

Quote:
Did you get a forward or both forward and rear facing?
I currently only have a forward facing Viofo. I still have a rear facing Mobius which is much less reliable in my experience... I may one day buy a second viofo to replace my mobius.

Quote:
Where did you mount it?
The front viofo is mounted such that the camera is just within the range of the windshield wipers so that water and snow etc can get wiped away from the cameras vision, just off to the left of the rear view mirror mount (the camera is low enough that I can just barely see the buttons on the bottom of the camera).

When I had a front facing Mobius I had a homemade metal bracket that would screw into the camera mount screw hole of the mobius. That was connected magnetically to some strips of magnets that i stuck on the windshield. This was place out of reach of the windshield wipers (which I realized after the fact was kind of dumb). The whole camera fit above the rear view mirror, and the mount was right at the top of the windshield up against the roof of the car. The magnet was not strong enough to hold it in place when I got rear ended and went flying into the windshield... Also, the magnetic strips lost their stickiness a few times in the year that I had it.

The rear mobius is mounted on the bottom of the cover for the third (middle) brake light. ie, I drilled a hole through the plastic cover and screwed the camera in. Just to the left of centre.

Quote:
Where did you get power from?
It is very possible to do so with the cigarette lighter but I opted for a more complicated and permanent way. If you do go the cigarette lighter approach, make sure you lighter is not always on, and only turns on when the key is turned

I bought some (I believe) 16 gauge wire to wire in the cameras and bought some USB cables to solder to the 16 gauge wire. The power came from the fuse box. I added an add-a-fuse to the fuse box and soldered my wire to that fuse (be sure to pick a location that doesn't have power until the car is turned on). The wire then forked off... one went to the front along the A-pillar on the right and up the top of the roof, and the other part went along the top of the door under the head liner all the way to the back. I also bought 2 12V to 5V DC converters. One was stuck inside the cover of the brake light which then connected to the rear camera via a mini usb cable, the other converter was tucked away where my sunroof motor is in the roof, (though, in my experience on a Saturn SL2 without a sunroof, it also fits fine).

Quote:
Did you hide the cable(S)?
Yes, as stated above, the cables were all tucked away behind the head liner. and the A-Pillar.

Quote:
Bonus
The viofo comes with 2 USB cables... one is short and is meant to be used with your computer, and one is quite long (I have been able to use that cable in the past to route the cable along the roof, down the A-Pillar, and down underneath the glove box and plug into the cigarette lighter and still have extra cable to spare). It also comes with a cigarette lighter adapter that has 2 usb ports in it. It also comes with adhesive and a spare adhesive, as well as adhesive hooks to stick to your window and slide the cable through if you so choose (I never used those).

Any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hallzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hallzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hallzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:09 PM   #3
canada_rokzz
canada_rokzz is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

That's an awesome response! Thank you!

2008 Saturn Astra XR 3 Door

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to canada_rokzz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help canada_rokzz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
canada_rokzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 04:05 AM   #4
hallzy
hallzy is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2

Not a problem

While I am responding there are a few other things I thought I should mention.

Everything I bought for the camera is from amazon canada (which works well for you since you appear to be from Canada ).

I have attached a text file to this response with links to everything (since I can upload files, but not URLs).

It is worth pointing out that I have 2 SD cards listed. They both work fine and I have used them both (Multiple people in my family now use the Viofo so I have bought this multiple times). I use the Transcend one for 2 cameras and the Lexar one for 1 without any problems. The Transcend used to be much cheaper but it jumped in price which is why I switched to the Lexar.

The camera itself is capacitor powered as opposed to a battery. This is supposed to last longer than battery powered cameras for use in cars, but the camera can only stay alive for a second or two after losing power from the car in order to save the video that it was just recording.

The camera also has an option to get a GPS mount (which I have never used) which gives information like your speed and coordinates as you drive.
Attached Files
File Type: txt amazon-links.txt (646 Bytes, 5 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hallzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hallzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hallzy is offline   Reply With Quote