SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2017, 08:26 PM   #1
charliedone1
charliedone1 is on a distinguished road

Default car shutting down 08 Aura 3.5 ltr

1st off, put a new battery in. Im driving and i go over set of rough rail road tracks (at night) and the car shuts down. Im coasting and it restarts. I continue to drive, hit some rough road and it cuts out again. I pull over turn the key off then on and it starts. I make it home. The next morning I am looking at the battery cables and I notice (by physically moving them) that the neg. cable is not as tight as I think it should be. Also it was badly corroded. I replaced the cable end. Starts right up. As I purposely hit a bump just the power to the radio shuts down.Weird. Im feeling it is most likely an electrical issue but have been hearing and reading issues with the cam and crank sensors. By the way after the radio loses power it comes back on as I am still driving. Anyway when get home,I checked all the fuses and relays under the hood by pushing them all in. The radio cutting out autonomously was surprising and confusing. Thank you in advance. The ignition lock seems to be tight. I only have 2 keys on the ring.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to charliedone1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help charliedone1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
charliedone1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2017, 03:51 PM   #2
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia

2001 SL1
Default Re: car shutting down 08 Aura 3.5 ltr

Since someone missed the corrosion on the Neg post when battery was replaced, did you check the Pos post as well....?
ARE both clean and rock tight?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 01:33 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

^ Yes, both battery cables are prone to battery sulfation, battery venting and depositing in the area to eventually corrode copper wires, ruining cables. What's unusual is the engine dying. Its a known fact that once an engine is running, a battery isn't needed as the alternator generates all the power needed for the car. While this may seem to describe perpetual motion, its not as fuel is used to allow engine running and remain close to the laws of physics, neither generating more or losing power. Disconnecting a battery while the engine runs never kills the engine. Something else is shutting off the engine when going over hard bumps, suggesting the hard jarring to loosen electrical connections somewhere. Battery cable corrosion basically creates starting problems and difficulty in recharging thru corroded cable connections and not interfere with engine running.

Crank sensors are solidly mounted into the engine block to remain in close proximity to machined teeth on crankshafts to detect them as it generates precise timing pulses for the pcm to run the EFI system. Its not likely for hard bumps to disrupt crank sensor output but its your choice to experiment with parts substitution to prove otherwise.

Unfortunately, the radio dying at random without the engine dying suggests wire connection issues, whether its power or grounds. Main power; battery, battery cables and their connections. Main grounds are battery to chassis and chassis to engine block.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:37 PM   #4
charliedone1
charliedone1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by toggenburg View Post
Since someone missed the corrosion on the Neg post when battery was replaced, did you check the Pos post as well....?
ARE both clean and rock tight?
I did. Positive clean and tight.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to charliedone1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help charliedone1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
charliedone1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 09:39 PM   #5
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia

2001 SL1

10 days later....have you discovered anything more or still chasing the issue?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is online now   Reply With Quote