SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2017, 07:41 PM   #1
normdude
normdude is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.4L
Default Clutch pedal gone

Hello all
Clutch problems.
She drove it home with no problem
Then when she went to leave the clutch pedal was
Shot. It's all weak feeling.
Can't get it into first gear.
The fluid was low. So I put more in and bleed
It and it didn't help at all.
I never worked on a clutch like this.
Any ideas???

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to normdude's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help normdude reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
normdude is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2017, 08:59 AM   #2
waiter21
waiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of light

2003 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Clutch pedal gone

Verify the master cylinder is pumping, i.e. the linkage isn't broke or disconnected. Does the pedal go to the floor with no resistance?

When the slave cylinder blows, it normally dumps fluid on the ground. You should have seen this if you bleed the system. Do you have a puddle of fluid on the ground?

If you disconnect the fitting hose on the slave, the clutch pedal should be extremely hard to press and shouldn't move. DO NOT FORCE IT or you will break the linkage. There's a check valve in the connector that prevents fluid from flowing when the connector is removed, thats why the pedal should not move.

Sounds like clutch time.

The transmission needs to come out. I looked at all the different ways of doing this and I always came back to dropping the subframe, then splitting the tranny/engine.

Its not a hard job if you're a DIYer, but a couple special tools will be helpful. Read about mine at this link:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=222576

Replace the clutch, pressure plate, and the slave cylinder.

If you do this (or pay someone else to do it) I strongly recommend also updating a couple other items while you have everything torn apart:
  • Replace timing and balance chain and components. Make sure you get version 3 of the tensioner.
  • Replace the water pump
  • Replace the rear main crank seal
  • Replace the two axle seals on the tranny

2003 Vue - 2.2L with Manual Trans. (Swapped)
Originally had 2.2L and Auto trans.

Last edited by waiter21; 07-18-2017 at 09:06 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to waiter21's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help waiter21 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:27 AM   #3
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really nice

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

THere is a leak. It's a closed system. If you had to add and bleed it means it leaked out.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 05:59 PM   #4
normdude
normdude is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.4L

I didn't eldest of puddle but I did notice there was no real fluid in there. I added fluid tried deleting it and still nothing the petals just very loose goes all the way to the floor and does not engage or just engage I cannot shift into gear.
It's been along time since I did the clutch I didn't even know they were hydraulic I don't know what the slave is. I just did a big job on my jeep freezer plug behind the motor was leaking.
I'm just nervous with this hydraulic stuff that I'm gonna do the whole job and it still won't work

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to normdude's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help normdude reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
normdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 06:32 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I don't know where you've been but almost every car, truck and suv with a manual uses hydraulic operated clutches. Old school cable operated clutches are long gone.

From the service manual;

The hydraulic clutch operating mechanism is used on all manual transaxle models and is completely self-adjusting. The mechanism consists of a master cylinder (2), hydraulic line assembly (3) and an actuator cylinder (4), which contains an integral clutch release bearing. The fluid for the clutch hydraulic system is provided by the brake master cylinder (1). The clutch master cylinder (2) is mounted to the front of the dash, and is operated directly off the clutch pedal by a pushrod. The slave cylinder (4) is mounted inside the clutch housing of the transaxle, and cannot be disassembled.

As the clutch pedal is applied, hydraulic fluid under pressure from the master cylinder flows into the actuator cylinder and moves the actuator cylinder piston forcing the release bearing against the pressure plate assembly. A spring is mounted between the actuator cylinder housing and the release bearing, which ensures that the release bearing is always held against the pressure plate. which reduces play in the clutch pedal.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (99.7 KB, 6 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 01:57 PM   #6
waiter21
waiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of light

2003 VUE 2.2L

There are several possibilities at this time.

1) Broken / disconnected linkage on clutch pedal. Look under the dash and compare what you see to the drawing.

2) bad master cylinder. The small little bottle is where the fluid gets filled.

3) Bad slave cylinder. Look on the drawing, The slave cylinder and throwout bearing are one part

Fill the resivour with fluid, pump the clutch pedal a couple times,

two questions

1) Did the fluid level in the master cylinder go down?

2) Is there fluid on the floor under the transmission?

Last edited by waiter21; 07-21-2017 at 02:03 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help waiter21 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-22-2017, 09:31 PM   #7
Tom Walsh
Tom Walsh has a spectacular aura aboutTom Walsh has a spectacular aura aboutTom Walsh has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Anybody taking out an engine cradle, I would recommend looking at harbor freight's engine support. I got mine for about $60. It's pretty basic but works great. No outrigging but I was thinking of cutting up an old bed spring support to make some. We used it today to do my bride's 02 L200 cradle. Only remembered it needed changing cause we were looking at her Ac compressor that needed a new clutch. And yes it was way better just changing the clutch on her non leaking system. Had to heat up the three screws on both donor and existing compressor and they begrudgedly came out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom Walsh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom Walsh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 07:17 PM   #8
Bruce Rock
Bruce Rock is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
2006 VUE 2.2L

Before the failure, how often did you check the level of the fluid in the clutch reservoir? Did you ever notice black particles in the reservoir?

I'm trying to determine how these failure occurs. My limited experience with hydraulics leads me to believe they start in one of two ways.
1) With a slight leak, caused by wear of the seal, leading to total loss of fluid.
2) Rubber wear particles getting between the rubber seal and piston causing a leak.

If the slave cylinder is leaking, and this is not a good time for you to replace it, I would try flushing the line with brake fluid and than going with a more viscous oil.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bruce Rock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bruce Rock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bruce Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 08:52 PM   #9
waiter21

2003 VUE 2.2L

When my slave took a dump, it was catastrophic. there was no warning or slight loss of fluid, it dumped all the fluid into the bellhousing and on the ground.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-23-2017, 09:08 PM   #10
Bruce Rock

2000 SL2
2006 VUE 2.2L

I just remembered, the early Vues used a common reservoir for clutch and brake. Don't use anything other than brake fluid in them!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Bruce Rock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-23-2017, 09:41 PM   #11
Bruce Rock

2000 SL2
2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiter21 View Post
When my slave took a dump, it was catastrophic. there was no warning or slight loss of fluid, it dumped all the fluid into the bellhousing and on the ground.
Did you tear the slave apart to find the cause?
scourged piston or housing
particles in the fluid
fatigued seal material
hardened seal material from excessive heat
worn bore

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-24-2017, 06:53 AM   #12
waiter21

2003 VUE 2.2L

no post mortum on the slave. I just installed a new slave, and a new clutch and pressure plate while I was in there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!