SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2017, 10:08 AM   #1
blaisedaddy
blaisedaddy is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Oil Filter gasket leak

I am posting to see if any others have a problem with the rubber gasket for the AC Delco oil filter not fitting correctly. the rubber seal seems to be too thick or too large and gets pushed out of the seat when I tighten it if I don't tighten it too snug it drips oil. I was thinking of buying other rings or trying other filters.
anyone having a similar problem?
Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blaisedaddy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blaisedaddy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blaisedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2017, 04:57 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Oil Filter gasket leak

An oil filter is an oil filter is an oil filter. To my knowledge there are two types - the steel canister type that's self contained and used for years with hand tightening and the European type of filter element that's replaced by unscrewing a metal or plastic cap to an oil filter housing to remove and replace the filter element. The European type may be addressing waste by eliminating the metal oil filter canisters with filter elements similar to oil fired boilers. Oil heating systems using diesel oil are filtered using a cast iron filter housing with a removable filter element replaced according to oil service contracts or diyers. Less waste of resources when an element is replaced and reusing the same oil housing for the life of oil heaters and engines.

Are you sure you bought the correct replacement oil filter? I bought a filter from a Texaco gas station years ago and as soon as I restarted the engine, oil pumped out the (incorrect) filter onto the garage floor. Went back to Texaco with the oil filter and the idiot sheepishly admitted to giving me the wrong one. Lesson learned to never trust anyone on parts when doing it yourself. I would imagine the embarrassment if the car was up on a lift and engine oil pumped out onto their service bay..........

All screw on oil filters are hand tightened with some oil applied to the gasket, typically as soon as the gasket makes contact/filter feels resistant to turning, turning another 3/4 turn compresses the foam or rubber seal against oil pressure. A filter wrench is usually needed to remove them. If you didn't compare the original filter against the replacement to be sure of correct replacement, you risk finding out the hard way like I did years ago.

Below are examples of canister filter and replaceable filter elements.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg canister oil filter.jpg (78.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg BMW-1.jpg (127.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg BMW-2.jpg (147.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg M-B.jpg (12.3 KB, 2 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:54 PM   #3
blaisedaddy
blaisedaddy is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

yes, it is the right filter the problem is with the rubber ring that slips on the oil filter cap that holds the cartage. I have had 2 OEM rings that are just a little larger the last 2 times I did my own oil change, since the ring is too big it keeps the cap from sealing properly. I was lucky and a filter I had in my garage was the smaller size rubber ring and I was able to swap the bad one with a good one. (I have also order a new filter cap to rule out that part.) I was in error when I typed that the filter did not fit, it is the round rubber ring that is packaged with the filter that is just a little larger than the ones I have replaced in the past.

Last edited by blaisedaddy; 11-14-2017 at 11:05 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blaisedaddy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blaisedaddy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blaisedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:54 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Well, according to you, you have the correct oil filter element but the wrong O-ring. That alone makes your replacement the wrong parts. It doesn't matter if the element fits, you have the wrong O-ring that's too large. Either you bought the wrong parts or someone switched O-rings in the box you bought. It helps to mention which oil filter your Astra uses, canister type or element. From reviewing rockauto parts, you use the element with replacement O-ring supplied to every filter. The same as L300s and many other cars. You need to examine parts before buying them to be sure you are getting the right parts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote