SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2017, 10:53 AM   #1
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really nice

Location: Lower Alabama= God's country, if God wanted mosquito and red ant bites, and to be covered in mildew

1997 SL
Default 20 years!

Well I bought this thing new on July 7, 1997 with a thought of keeping it for 20 years! Which is today. It was born on June 5, 1997.

SL, 5-speed. Everything still works. Runs like new. 186,000 miles, still doesn't burn oil, mostly thanks to Mobil 1. And many thanks to those on this forum who have helped me get through the past 9 years that I have been a member!

A goal achieved. Now what do I do
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2882.jpg (181.2 KB, 22 views)

97 SL. Born 6/5/97, bought 7/7/97
08 Burgman 400
02 Haro MTB- can't kill it, still trying though

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.
Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MikeNW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MikeNW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MikeNW is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2017, 11:17 AM   #2
sirlarkspur
sirlarkspur has a spectacular aura aboutsirlarkspur has a spectacular aura aboutsirlarkspur has a spectacular aura about

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: 20 years!

how about replacing the black plastic parts with carbon fiber that would look epic

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sirlarkspur's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sirlarkspur reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sirlarkspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 12:48 PM   #3
Jonasan308
Advanced Member
Jonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of light

1999 SC1

Well, id say you keep driving it. 186k in 20 years is quite a few miles.

Theres just something special to me about the base model SL. Except for the no air conditioning, i love the idea of such a basic car. Manual steering, manual trans, manual windows, its so cool.
If it was mine, id have put on some hubcaps to dress up the wheels.

1999 Saturn SL1-129k at purchase(may 2016)-139k when wrecked(September 2016)

1999 Saturn SC1(This car is cursed)-156K at purchase(october 2016)-170k currently (jun 2017)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jonasan308's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jonasan308 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jonasan308 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 07:53 PM   #4
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really nice

Location: Lower Alabama= God's country, if God wanted mosquito and red ant bites, and to be covered in mildew

1997 SL

/\ I actually paid for A/C on this- the only reason I got rid of my beloved 1985 Toyota pick up (living in So CA at the time).
It has power steering too, which was a no-cost "extra" at the time. (I have a manual steering rack, setting in the garage attic, for the day the P.S. fails).

And of course, crank windows! It came with Saturn am-fm radio. Added outside rt. mirror. And that's all folks.

I'm not a wheel person. Repainted my steelies a year or two ago. I rub WD-40 on them now and then.

08 Burgman 400

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help MikeNW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-08-2017, 07:58 AM   #5
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

hard to get rid of a car youve had for 20 years. its like part of the family. i have one car ive had for 27 years. funny when i drive it its kind of a change to drive a car that knows nothing. im the boss and it does what i say.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 03:02 PM   #6
Jonasan308
Advanced Member
Jonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of light

1999 SC1

That is a pretty significant change, going from a toyota pickup/hilux to a tiny saturn SL. What made you choose the saturn anyway?

I love my wheels. I dream of putting on some matching green alloy wheels that are lightweight. Of course, cant justify spending that much on a miserably slow car like mine. So i just spray painted my hubcaps and left it at that.

Another dream i have is to get a black 1999-2004 ford mustang GT or cobra and stick on some lime green wheels. You can already tell that i like unique things

1999 Saturn SL1-129k at purchase(may 2016)-139k when wrecked(September 2016)

1999 Saturn SC1(This car is cursed)-156K at purchase(october 2016)-170k currently (jun 2017)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jonasan308's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jonasan308 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jonasan308 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 05:11 PM   #7
MikeNW
Master Member

1997 SL

Why a Saturn?

Back seat folded down, so I could put my mtn bike in it.
No haggle pricing.
Made in USA.
Plastic body panels.
Chain-driven camshaft.
Low operating cost.
40 mpg highway per the window sticker.
Bought locally (Escondido CA).
I found the base model (crank windows, for one thing).
A gold one because it had a non-black dashboard. I preferred the minty green one but it had black dashboard.

I traded in my beloved Toy only because I was tired of driving a 75 mile a day commute without A/C. Also didn't need to haul stuff anymore.

08 Burgman 400

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-19-2017, 07:07 AM   #8
lebeck
lebeck is on a distinguished road

Very nice car, it is cool that you take care for this care for so long! It is admirable.

To want to, is to be able to.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lebeck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lebeck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lebeck is offline   Reply With Quote