SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2017, 07:45 PM   #21
Saturn Night
Saturn Night has a spectacular aura aboutSaturn Night has a spectacular aura aboutSaturn Night has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
Default Re: 02 Saturn SS Project (Super Saturn)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medtactics View Post
The 3rd Gen valve cover does not have the same issue as it's wider head breatheren, at least no where near as bad as them.

As for the CAT removal recent test and automakers just admitted that the second O2 sensors are actually used to monitor the temperature and can modify fuel trims by 40% (although they claimed up to 3%). So unless you have an aftermarket ECU, replace it with a spun cat... And all (most) rally events require some form of a cat installed.

If you fo lift the car it's going to cost around 2k for custom CV-shafts. And if you do get them made be sure to use Tompson Couplings for true CV-joints at any angle.
Unless you don't mind replacing them all the time.
Early GM/Ford Downstream O2 sensors merely measured catalyst efficiency, and were not tied into short-term/long-term fuel trims.

Chrysler, back in 1996, was the only domestic automaker to utilize the downstream O2 sensor for calibrating fuel trims.

Removal of your catalyst will not affect your fuel trims, but will turn on the "Service Engine Soon" light(unless a spark plug fouler is installed, with the wiring to the O2 sensor)

Here is a three-minute video, on how to use spark plug anti-foulers for tricking your PCM into thinking the catalyst is still on the car.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wcDPAfz10Io

1991 Pontiac Grand Am @ 140k - More rust than paint & no leaks
1995 Saturn SC2 @ 181k - 17.2538 @ 77.91mph w/Stock TB
Mechanic: I can't fix stupid, but I can fix what stupid does.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2017, 10:58 AM   #22
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_S001 View Post
The swap i spoke of was gonna be either a new DOHC to replace current or get a Turbo Diesel motor from a VW or something and put in it. But having thought about the process of replacing the wiring harness on it for the diesel conversion ill just stick to either rebuilding the current motor or replacing it with a new DOHC.
Oh, the diesel swap is way more complicated that just the harness

Quote:
but i will be swapping to a manual. Any one know what the manual trans is? 4spd or 5spd
Well, since no one has posted this link yet, like fetchitfido said, you have a choice of transmissions. About halfway down Low Saturn's page is the transaxle section, you can compare the ratios, and there's a how to for doing the swap to manual
http://www.differentracing.com/tech_articles/index.html

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=119783
Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchifido
Getting a MP3 5spd will give a bit more acceleration at the expense of MPG and top speed in each gear (MP2's from a SOHC have longer gearing) but is a must if you want CC to work without a bunch of electrical hackery.
That's true if he swaps PCMs. However, it's possible to keep his current auto trans PCM and cruise will continue to work, in exchange for having a continuous SES light/code for incorrect gear ratios or something (which may cause inspection failure if TN has inspections). He may also feel slight 'gaps' where the PCM adjusts fuel thinking that it is shifter an auto trans gears.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 05:10 PM   #23
Shadow_S001
Shadow_S001 is on a distinguished road

thanks bro. in my county we dont have inspections as we dont have wheel tax. though several counties near me do but that doesnt effect me.

sadly its gonna take a hell of alot longer to do everything now as i have to either find a new shop to go to or build my own shop. cause the shop i was using (the one where my brother works) just did the stupid, they asked "WHY" when i went in to schedule the work for my flex pipe, cat, and o2's.

heres a why question for them and pretty much anyone else for that matter. Why does it matter what i want done to MY car. its MY money not yours. I mean if i came into your shop willing to drop close to 300 bucks at once plus buy one of your parts WHY does it matter what i want done if im paying for it right? i mean as long as your shop does the service im requesting then it dont matter IM paying for it not u

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Shadow_S001's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Shadow_S001 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Shadow_S001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 11:59 PM   #24
Medtactics
Medtactics is a jewel in the roughMedtactics is a jewel in the roughMedtactics is a jewel in the roughMedtactics is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2

It helps if you had a business relationship with the shop, get tires patched, rotated, and such regularly. And if your a big spender at such shop (Diesel head replacement, oh god my wallet hurts) they start offering free small jobs, at least the one I go to does.

Unfortunately i finnally ran into the same issue, but on a more light hearted note, they are not equipped for fabrication jobs.

Honda CR-V driver decided he should cut me off, me going 85, him 55, less than 15ft to spare, and no blinkers. Got too brake and sideways action happy and broke my left trailing arm... Again, this time pulling from the frame.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Medtactics's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Medtactics reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Medtactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 03:36 PM   #25
Shadow_S001

its fine Med, i only went there cause my brother worked there. they charge 65 dollars a hour just in labour charges. but they was limted on what they would or could do so im gonna learn how to do alot of the stuff myself and for the things i cant im gonna find a shop in a bigger town

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Shadow_S001 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-08-2017, 11:37 AM   #26
Saturn Night
Saturn Night has a spectacular aura aboutSaturn Night has a spectacular aura aboutSaturn Night has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2

Header and Exhaust swaps typically involve cutting, welding, and bending pipe. Some shops may be limited in their capability to perform those three tasks. Pipe bending requires a special mandrel bench, typically.

Places that "specialize" in exhaust repair are going to be better equipped for the exhaust modifications you want.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-09-2017, 04:46 PM   #27
Shadow_S001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Night View Post
Header and Exhaust swaps typically involve cutting, welding, and bending pipe. Some shops may be limited in their capability to perform those three tasks. Pipe bending requires a special mandrel bench, typically.

Places that "specialize" in exhaust repair are going to be better equipped for the exhaust modifications you want.
Thing is night it wasnt anything that involved. all they had to do was cut the cat and the busted flex pipe (sock part) off and weld the new ones up. they already said they would do it then started to question why i wanted it done.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-09-2017, 04:52 PM   #28
Shadow_S001

In other news i didnt get the exhaust done yet, which come to find out was a good thing i didnt go cause the parts are sl1 and after research and some checking the car is sl2 so i have to take the parts back and swap them out. though i have found some one to do the work next week or so just gotta swap parts out on my next off days.

Update on my car as far as accessories. Ive purchased two 6inch Type S Multi color LED bars and a junction box. Got the junction box installed and the mounts for the lights in place just gotta wire the box for the lights in and mount up the lights themselves. Pictures will follow soon as everything is in place.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-10-2017, 11:44 PM   #29
Saturn Night

1995 SC2

Quote:
In other news i didnt get the exhaust done yet, which come to find out was a good thing i didnt go cause the parts are sl1 and after research and some checking the car is sl2 so i have to take the parts back and swap them out. though i have found some one to do the work next week or so just gotta swap parts out on my next off days.

Update on my car as far as accessories. Ive purchased two 6inch Type S Multi color LED bars and a junction box. Got the junction box installed and the mounts for the lights in place just gotta wire the box for the lights in and mount up the lights themselves. Pictures will follow soon as everything is in place.
Smart move, on a separate junction box. Just remember, depending on how much "show" you are planning on, you may need to wire in a second battery, capacitors, and/or switch to a high-amperage alternator.

Factory alternators are either 90amp, or 96amp(depending on year and trim level for first gen, 2nd/3rd gen all have 96amp).

Higher amperage alternators run hotter temps, which means you will be running into more frequent alternator replacements. They are located under the intake manifold, near the shock tower rail of your spaceframe, and are not the easiest to remove/replace(certainly not the most difficult, though.) There is not a lot of airflow, in that area of the engine bay, so to lower your underhood temps, it will be a good idea to use Exhaust Header Tape on your exhaust manifold/headpipe.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-11-2017, 08:59 AM   #30
Shadow_S001

Thanks for that bit of info Night. But the biggest show that im gonna have from in when it aint running is for night fishing and im gonna get a atv/marine battery that i will connect the car to for the few hours im out there this way i dont drain the main battery. at least that is the plan anyways. ill let you know how it turns out

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-11-2017, 05:32 PM   #31
Saturn Night

1995 SC2

What is the main difference of marine batteries? I mean, they are still a 12VDC battery, right?

I know marine engines aren't too dissimilar from their street-driven brethren, just designed to handle much higher octane fuels for running at higher rpms, for longer periods of time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-12-2017, 12:23 AM   #32
Medtactics
Medtactics is a jewel in the roughMedtactics is a jewel in the roughMedtactics is a jewel in the roughMedtactics is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Night View Post
What is the main difference of marine batteries? I mean, they are still a 12VDC battery, right?

I know marine engines aren't too dissimilar from their street-driven brethren, just designed to handle much higher octane fuels for running at higher rpms, for longer periods of time.
Marine Batts (wrong name) are basic deep cycle batteries (correct name), they feature less, but thicker, plates that are not prone to warping when in high sulfate conditions. IE: extremely low charge. How ever, less plates also mean less output (not to be confused with capacity) of power and will have lower than nominal Cranking Amps. While deep cycle batts will start a Saturn motor in the summer, expect slow starts in weather below 0C.

Conventional deep cycle Batts will cost a pretty penny, $~250, but offer crazy off the chart specs, even for a normal automotive batt, and can used all year around.

Your batt options are limited to the Odyssey #75-1230 (very impressive, plug-and-play), other than that there's optima yellow top, forgot what was its model number, but will require modifications to the batt tray due to standard style post being in the way of the clamp.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Medtactics reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-12-2017, 06:45 AM   #33
Shadow_S001

hey Med, im not looking at replacing the battery all together. the plan is to have some type of small atv or marine battery or what every you call it, and disconnect the main battery and hook up the cables to the smaller one only when im at the river or camping or hanging out wanting to run my lights. then when im ready to drive ill switch back over. unless i figure out some other method which i have not yet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-14-2017, 04:43 AM   #34
Saturn Night

1995 SC2

Quote:
Marine Batts (wrong name) are basic deep cycle batteries (correct name), they feature less, but thicker, plates that are not prone to warping when in high sulfate conditions. IE: extremely low charge. How ever, less plates also mean less output (not to be confused with capacity) of power and will have lower than nominal Cranking Amps. While deep cycle batts will start a Saturn motor in the summer, expect slow starts in weather below 0C.

Conventional deep cycle Batts will cost a pretty penny, $~250, but offer crazy off the chart specs, even for a normal automotive batt, and can used all year around.

Your batt options are limited to the Odyssey #75-1230 (very impressive, plug-and-play), other than that there's optima yellow top, forgot what was its model number, but will require modifications to the batt tray due to standard style post being in the way of the clamp.
That is some good information to know. Thanks for letting me know what the differences were, between deep cycle batteries and a standard automotive battery.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-14-2017, 06:34 AM   #35
Shadow_S001

Update im probably gonna finish installing the lights on my car today and try to get my o2 sensors, cat, flex piece fixed today as well. will update further and add pics of the lights both day and night

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-14-2017, 04:49 PM   #36
Shadow_S001

i have a question regarding the exhaust the flex pipe sock piece. does it actually serve any purpose? what i mean is if i put a piece of hard pipe in there instead will it effect the car?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-14-2017, 09:15 PM   #37
Medtactics

1999 SC2

Quote:
i have a question regarding the exhaust the flex pipe sock piece. does it actually serve any purpose? what i mean is if i put a piece of hard pipe in there instead will it effect the car?
Depends, do you have a ground ponder upper mount, pimped tranny mount, and solid dogbones? If not then you will bend and break exhaust piping/mounts and very little time. Saturn motors flop around harder than a fish out of water.

In other words, if the motor ain't anchored with the above parts and try to run with out a flex pipe, you are going to have a vary bad time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-15-2017, 02:20 AM   #38
Shadow_S001

Quote:
Depends, do you have a ground ponder upper mount, pimped tranny mount, and solid dogbones? If not then you will bend and break exhaust piping/mounts and very little time. Saturn motors flop around harder than a fish out of water.

In other words, if the motor ain't anchored with the above parts and try to run with out a flex pipe, you are going to have a vary bad time.
thank you medic.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-16-2017, 07:05 AM   #39
Shadow_S001

lights on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-16-2017, 08:01 AM   #40
Medtactics

1999 SC2

Looks pretty clean, nice work. Was going to do that to mine, then i realized *hey? Didn't I just buy a 3rd gen SC2 for motor's tie-plate? What if... I could swap the panels and use it's fog light housing? There is a possible APB on it.* 27 hours later I have fog lights again.

Amazing what an influence a ticket has.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!