SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Rough idling on Ecotec 2.2
Yes 12 60.00%
No 8 40.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 07:38 AM   #1
saturn250hp
saturn250hp is on a distinguished road

Default Rough idling Ecotec 2.2 ?

The recall states that:

"The ignition control module might fail causing rough idling and difficulty starting."

I can feel a slight misfire at idle.

Does anyone else feel a misfire on their L-series - Ecotec 2.2?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn250hp's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn250hp reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2003, 07:51 AM   #2
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Just how rough an idle are we talking about here?
Intermittently, or all the time?
Does it cause the car to stall?

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unkle bik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-06-2003, 08:11 AM   #3
saturn250hp

Quote:
Originally posted by UNKLE BIK
Just how rough an idle are we talking about here?
Intermittently, or all the time?
Does it cause the car to stall?
Not too rough. Never stalled.

Slight misfire happens all the time when parked, Don't notice it when driving.

If I just set there with radio and interior fan off, I can feel it misfire and the RPM's will flutter a little. I can also feel it when I hold the RPM's higher, but only when in park. However, I think it is misfiring when driving too just too slight to feel.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help saturn250hp reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-06-2003, 08:16 AM   #4
ricksLS1
Master Member
ricksLS1 has a spectacular aura aboutricksLS1 has a spectacular aura about

Get it checked out. The dealers have a few kits each for people having problems.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ricksLS1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ricksLS1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-06-2003, 10:22 AM   #5
silverblueL200

I can feel mine stumbling all over its self when the air is off and its sitting at idle.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to silverblueL200's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help silverblueL200 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!

Old 08-06-2003, 11:17 AM   #6
edisonline
edisonline is on a distinguished road

Mine is not that rough but the point is, it was very smooth before when it was new. Could deteriorating cables be the cause? My L is just one and a half years old.

2002 L100 SE
1997 SL1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to edisonline's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help edisonline reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-06-2003, 02:18 PM   #7
bravesfann23
bravesfann23 is on a distinguished road

my L has 25k and idles smooth as silk.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bravesfann23's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bravesfann23 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-06-2003, 03:51 PM   #8
saturn250hp

Quote:
Originally posted by silverblueL200
I can feel mine stumbling all over its self when the air is off and its sitting at idle.

I just wonder if this is why they are recalling them. Mine has done it from day one. But runs great!

It's hard to notice. I think that if the people that have not noticed it yet would take a minute or two they would feel it too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-06-2003, 04:03 PM   #9
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally posted by saturn250hp
I just wonder if this is why they are recalling them. Mine has done it from day one. But runs great!

It's hard to notice. I think that if the people that have not noticed it yet would take a minute or two they would feel it too.
I thinkit's a perception thing. I, too notice a slight stumble. But I think it's more my imagination than anything.
The motor is so damn quiet with everything off. It has to be the quietest, & smoothest running motor, yet. Maybe we notice it more because of this.

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unkle bik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-06-2003, 04:35 PM   #10
spork
spork is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I marked yes, but it is a very intermitent thing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spork's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spork reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-06-2003, 05:35 PM   #11
silverblueL200

Mine is definitly not hard to notice, you can feel the car shaking a bit, and you hear it. You can see the engine jumpin around when you watch it with the hood open. I'm going in for service on Monday, looks like its going to turn into an all day thing, rough idle, whistling rack, rear shim kit....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help silverblueL200 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!

Old 08-20-2003, 02:19 PM   #12
silverblueL200

Just as an update, I had the recall done, and it now is running a 1000 times smoother, although I feel just a slight stuble at idle/w no air.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-22-2003, 07:33 AM   #13
Kiwi

Default Rough idle

My 5 spd L200 developed this weird idle thing back in late January. I took it in numerous times to 3 dealers (Saturn Corps idea). They replaced most of the engine components (including the head) and were never able to fix it. They ended up buying it back under California's Lemon Law - I had to get a lawyer in order to help them come to this decision. It was a very difficult decision as we have driven Saturns since they first came out at the beginning of the 1990's. I think this is a bigger problem than Saturn (GM) wants to talk about.

Other than this issue my L200 was one of the best cars I have ever owned - spirited to drive & great on gas!

Kiwi
Vue V6 AWD
Mazda 6i 5 Spd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kiwi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kiwi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!

Old 08-26-2003, 12:02 AM   #14
dennis marshall
dennis marshall is on a distinguished road

So is this rough idle situation fixed? Did the rocket scientists at GM correct it so new L's will not have this problem?Since that 4 is used on the VUE why wasn't the VUE recalled? Maybe this a bigger situation than GM acknowledges.You maybe onto someting.This 4 is very important for GM.It is used in several models. modelsengine to be

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dennis marshall's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dennis marshall reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-26-2003, 06:04 AM   #15
LynnF
LynnF is on a distinguished road

Default Idle rpm

During a test drive last night we noticed that one of the LW200s seemed to idle quite high; the needle was up over 1500, while another was down closer to 1000. The higher one did quiet down when I touched the gas, but I'm assuming we should get that checked before we sign the papers?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LynnF's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LynnF reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-26-2003, 09:22 PM   #16
Kiwi

The ION also has this engine. However I have been told it is egineered & tuned differently, so perhaps the same is true in the VUE. I am now highly suspect of the 4 cyl. engine. I have also had bad reports of it in the Holden Vectra. It's to bad as it drives so well & is great on gas. I really hope it has been fixed, having owned Saturns since 1991 I really hated to see mine go back. But I had so much wrapped up in the car I felt like I had to do something to get my money back.

I think it would pay to ask a lot of questions of the dealers on this issue & make it know that people are talking about it. This is the only way they will do anything proactive.

Kiwi

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kiwi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kiwi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!

Old 09-18-2003, 10:34 AM   #17
etp26
etp26 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Kiwi
The ION also has this engine. However I have been told it is egineered & tuned differently, so perhaps the same is true in the VUE. I am now highly suspect of the 4 cyl. engine.
Kiwi
They may be tuned differently, but I would think that could be done with the same ignition module.

Unless they knew about the ignition problem with the L series and started on a good foot with the ION and Vue. But why wouldn't they have done this for the 2003 L. I think more will come out, but I really hope not.

They make the same engine to save cost (I would think). So why change minor parts? I think the modules are all the same.

Can anyone help with these questions?

What is the difference between the ignition modules in the ION and the L-series?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to etp26's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help etp26 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-24-2003, 05:42 AM   #18
saturn250hp

Default Update

Had recall done a week ago.

Engine still has a slight miss at idle.

Shifting seem different (auto).

Idle at start is higher at first then comes down to normal.

No info on gas mileage yet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread