SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2017, 04:53 PM   #1
hoviworld
hoviworld is on a distinguished road

Question 03 saturn ion code p0128

hello there how are you doing guys?
i need some help
like the title says i have a 03 saturn ion2 four door, the cooling fan stopped working, i check the fan is is fine, i check with the computer and it shows that the temp sensor is failing so i replace it, i also replace the cooling fan relay.

The a/c is not blowing cold air at all, so far i change the thermostat, cooling fan relay, temp sensor and troubleshoot the fan and still the computer says the problem is the temp sensor and the fan doesnt turn on at all.
Please help

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hoviworld's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hoviworld reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hoviworld is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2017, 05:08 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 03 saturn ion code p0128

P0128 usually points to a worn out thermostat, running cooler than expected (<176F). The service manual states "DTC P0128 is designed to detect a faulty thermostat." Are there any other error codes? I replaced two t-stats in two different cars with the same error code that corrected and reset the error. To be sure of your repairs, use a reader to a) monitor cold engine temperature at ignition turn on (after an overnight rest) to compare against outside temps and b) after a full engine warm-up. With a new coolant sensor and t-stat, a reader should display coolant temps close to outside prevailing temps and how the t-stat regulates coolant temps after a full warm-up. Normal engine running temps should be between 185F-200F without a cooling fan running. This should be a first place to check before continuing.

The cooling fan not running and dead ac are two more issues and separate from P0128.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 08:47 PM   #3
hoviworld
hoviworld is on a distinguished road

Maybe I didn't myself clear, please bear with me as English is not my first language, the code is for bad thermostat, bad temp sensor or low coolant level, that's what I found on the code. Maybe the info is incomplete?
I've replace the thermostat
I've replace the temp sensor
I've replace the fan relay
And I have troubleshoot the fan, meaning I hook up a 12 volt battery on it and it started.
So those are the things I've done to the car so far in replacements.
Now I have try to overheat the car by having the car in idle, I went over the temp when the fan should turn on and it won't turn on.
I have turn on the a/c to see if the fan turn on and it doesn't turn on.
I went to the AutoZone to run the computer on it and the code p0128 still shows up.
Now my question is what could be stopping the fan to turn on? I understand that the a/c can have other issues of why it would not blow cold air but for the fan not to turn on when the car starts overheating is what where I find it odd, the fan should run no matter what the problem with the a/c is right?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hoviworld's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hoviworld reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hoviworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 10:43 PM   #4
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to all

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Have you checked the fuse for the cooling fan?

Since the fan doesn't run with the A/C turned on, but does run when powered directly, you likely either have a bad fuse, bad wiring or both.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 175K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 170K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 09:42 AM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

As ruley73 suggested, did you check for a blown fan fuse? We're aware of what's been replaced. Can you plug in a reader to display actual coolant temperatures? What are actual cooling temperatures?

If ac is dead (compressor doesn't run) the cooling fan will not run because the engine computer knows the ac is dead and won't turn on the cooling fan when it's not needed. If ac runs, the cooling fan will run; ac generates heat at the condenser coil in front of the radiator so the cooling fan is needed to move air thru the condenser coil and radiator to prevent overheating. Testing cooling fan operation doesn't work if ac doesn't work.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote