SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2017, 08:33 AM   #1
saturnmommy
saturnmommy has a spectacular aura aboutsaturnmommy has a spectacular aura aboutsaturnmommy has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL1
Default motor mounts and transmission mounts help

I have a 1997 saturn sl1, 1.9L SOHC. A good amount of noise and vibration happening so we are going to replace all 4 of the mounts. Did the upper motor mount a couple years ago but did not "reset" the bottom dogbone so I don't know if that has something to do with the return of the vibrations or not. Anyway, that is the only mount ever replaced on my car so its probably time to do them all.
Does anyone know the proper torque for each of the mounts?
Upper Motor, Lower dogbone, Upper Transmission and Lower dogbone????

Is this a hard job with all the other mounts, because I cannot find any videos about the 97 Saturn SL1 to watch. I found plenty on other models but none on mine.

Is there any difference in the two dogbones by the way since they are not marked or does it not matter which goes where??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnmommy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnmommy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2017, 08:48 AM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2
Default Re: motor mounts and transmission mounts help

99% same procedure for all mounts on all '92-'02 S-Series, the 1% being the lower transmission mount on automatic's being an actual challenge, sometimes requiring dropping the cradle on that side to get it in or trimming the length of the stud (the 5spd's being a proper transmission leave enough room to get the mount in fairly easy).

Dog bones are identical, doesn't matter which goes where.

IMO you can cheap out on the dog bones and probably the transmission mount but the top engine mount really needs to be an actual OEM mount.

The top mount studs: ~19ft/lbs, the nuts 40ft/lbs (all 5)
10mm trans mount bolts: 23ft/lbs
15mm trans mount bolt: 41ft/lbs
dog bones 40ft/lbs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:01 AM   #3
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really nice

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Top mount and to a lesser degree the bottom reduce vibration when idling. The dog bone mounts will cause clunking noises when you leave a stop when they go bad as the engine torques.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:20 AM   #4
saturnmommy
saturnmommy has a spectacular aura aboutsaturnmommy has a spectacular aura aboutsaturnmommy has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
99% same procedure for all mounts on all '92-'02 S-Series, the 1% being the lower transmission mount on automatic's being an actual challenge, sometimes requiring dropping the cradle on that side to get it in or trimming the length of the stud (the 5spd's being a proper transmission leave enough room to get the mount in fairly easy).

Dog bones are identical, doesn't matter which goes where.

IMO you can cheap out on the dog bones and probably the transmission mount but the top engine mount really needs to be an actual OEM mount.

The top mount studs: ~19ft/lbs, the nuts 40ft/lbs (all 5)
10mm trans mount bolts: 23ft/lbs
15mm trans mount bolt: 41ft/lbs
dog bones 40ft/lbs

Thank you. We did cheap out on the parts this time around but not sure if the top one is in need of change anyway might not mess with that one. The others are still original parts and its nearly 24 years old now so I don't know how long they usually last but I will take 24 years.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help saturnmommy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-19-2017, 09:27 AM   #5
saturnmommy

1997 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGary1 View Post
Top mount and to a lesser degree the bottom reduce vibration when idling. The dog bone mounts will cause clunking noises when you leave a stop when they go bad as the engine torques.

-Robert
Thank you. The only mount ever changed on the car was the upper, so I think after nearly 24 years of having my car it is probably time to change the other three out. She has her fair share of clunks and rattles and more so its hard to tell sometimes what is doing what with her.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-19-2017, 12:17 PM   #6
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really nice

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Watch out for the auto parts store life time warranty mounts. You'll be replacing them for the rest of your life.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-19-2017, 11:54 PM   #7
bachands
Advanced Member
bachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to behold

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGary1 View Post
Watch out for the auto parts store life time warranty mounts. You'll be replacing them for the rest of your life.

-Robert
Ha!! I believe that! Avoid AZ unless you really know what you're buying. Almost everything they sell seems low quality IMO. But all seem to come with lifetime warranties ... whoopty doo

I go OEM for engine and trans mounts. But I've had good success with aftermarket DEA torque strut (dogbone) mounts.

'97 SL1, 136K, Auto, Mint Green (SOLD 146K)
'99 SL2, 126K, Auto, Silver (SOLD 149K)
'97 SL1, 136K, Manual, Burgundy (Gifted to Brother 138K)
'02 SL2, 149K, Auto, Light Gray/Silver

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bachands's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bachands reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bachands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:05 AM   #8
jmilroy
jmilroy is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2

For those who might not realize...
"Lifetime Warranty" does NOT mean "if it ever breaks or wears out, we'll replace it." If you buy "Lifetime" brake pads, water pumps, alternators, etc., and they wear out in a couple of years, there is no obligation of the FLAPS to replace the item, unless you can prove it was MANUFACTURED with a flaw.
Just to clarify what the lawyer-speak means...this is taken directly from a major chain auto parts website:
"A Limited Lifetime Warranty is a warranty against defect in materials or workmanship under normal use and service after proper installation..."
In other words, "if me made it wrong, you've got a case, but if it wore out in use, you get nothing."

[Of course, you might find an individual part or individual store with a full wearout replacement warranty...I just wanted to clarify the dubious "lifetime warranty" frequently encountered.]
Cheers,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jmilroy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jmilroy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jmilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 03:52 PM   #9
RobertGary1
Master Member

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Autozone doesn't ask question they just exchange. But it's your labor time. I just returned an 8 year old radiator and exchanged for new.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-20-2017, 09:55 PM   #10
jambra1
Advanced Member
jambra1 is a jewel in the roughjambra1 is a jewel in the roughjambra1 is a jewel in the roughjambra1 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilroy View Post
For those who might not realize...
"Lifetime Warranty" does NOT mean "if it ever breaks or wears out, we'll replace it." If you buy "Lifetime" brake pads, water pumps, alternators, etc., and they wear out in a couple of years, there is no obligation of the FLAPS to replace the item, unless you can prove it was MANUFACTURED with a flaw.

[Of course, you might find an individual part or individual store with a full wearout replacement warranty...I just wanted to clarify the dubious "lifetime warranty" frequently encountered.]
Cheers,
I've been shopping at AutoZone for well over 30 years and have never had a problem with a lifetime warranty exchange whether a radiator, TPS, IACV, brake pads or any other item. They look up my account for the original purchase and it's "no questions asked." With a pair of 99s, including one with 413K miles, I've definitely gotten my money's worth. On a few items where I use a Duralast product, they may tend to wear out a bit sooner than the OEM but, as mentioned, it's just my labor time on the swap. (For what it's worth, I use the OEM on those parts where it's essential.)

Current
1999 SC2 - 418,000 miles
1999 SL2 - 196,000 miles

Previous
1996 SC2 and 1999 SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jambra1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jambra1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jambra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 12:07 AM   #11
Jonasan308
Advanced Member
Jonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of light

1999 SC1

24 years old? If its a 97, than its been a bit over 19 years since the start of 1997... 1997 is my birth year. Technically it would be 20 years old because of that thing about making next year classed cars.

1999 Saturn SL1-129k at purchase(may 2016)-139k when wrecked(September 2016)

1999 Saturn SC1(This car is cursed)-156K at purchase(october 2016)-170k currently (jun 2017)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jonasan308's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jonasan308 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jonasan308 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 01:04 PM   #12
saturnmommy

1997 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonasan308 View Post
24 years old? If its a 97, than its been a bit over 19 years since the start of 1997... 1997 is my birth year. Technically it would be 20 years old because of that thing about making next year classed cars.
No offence but I don't need the math lesson. When you are as stressed out as I am then you will understand how people can simply make a math mistake. It really does not amount to jack either way as my cars age don't matter, just the issues she is having. Thanks though for your lack of assistance here. I would prefer help from people and not a math correction though. geeze!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-21-2017, 01:40 PM   #13
Jonasan308
Advanced Member
Jonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of light

1999 SC1

Wasnt really trying to make you look stupid or anything, just wanted to point it. Youre right though, it seems like you are quite stressed out.

1999 Saturn SL1-129k at purchase(may 2016)-139k when wrecked(September 2016)

1999 Saturn SC1(This car is cursed)-156K at purchase(october 2016)-170k currently (jun 2017)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jonasan308's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jonasan308 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jonasan308 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:17 AM   #14
saturnmommy

1997 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonasan308 View Post
Wasnt really trying to make you look stupid or anything, just wanted to point it. Youre right though, it seems like you are quite stressed out.
I am extremely stressed out however you in no way made me look stupid. I don't allow anyone to attempt to make me look any different from the way I am. You were born in 1997 you said..well in 1997 I was already on this earth for 23 years...ahh nearly as long as my car is old!!! My motor mounts are all in and everything is good with that issue. Now move on to even more issues to fix with my baby.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!