SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2017, 09:55 PM   #1
bachands
Advanced Member
bachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to behold

2002 SL2
Default Help with Exhaust Manifold to Down Pipe Studs and Nuts

I am working on the exhaust for my '97 SL2. When I removed the downpipe I noticed there is a missing stud (replaced with a standard bolt) and the nuts are not original. The nuts don't have the rounded bottoms, so there were washers underneath them. I don't like the separate washers. It's easier to install a proper nut without having to hold the washer in place during installation.

So what are my options at this point? Are the exhaust manifold studs (at the cylinder head) the same? Could I just go to the salvage yard and get a stud and three nuts at the exhaust manifold?

i found the P/Ns for the studs and nuts from another thread. But for one stud and a bag of nuts, the total comes out to more than $20 after shipping. That seems like too much for such a trivial thing.

What's a good option if I just went to the hardware store? Menards has some automotive grade hardware. Would they have what I need for this?

'97 SL1, 136K, Auto, Mint Green (SOLD 146K)
'99 SL2, 126K, Auto, Silver (SOLD 149K)
'97 SL1, 136K, Manual, Burgundy (Gifted to Brother 138K)
'02 SL2, 149K, Auto, Light Gray/Silver

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bachands's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bachands reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bachands is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2017, 10:18 PM   #2
bachands
Advanced Member
bachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to behold

2002 SL2
Default Re: Help with Exhaust Manifold to Down Pipe Studs and Nuts

I found the following kit on Ebay: Manifold Hardware Kit

This should work right? I could replace all 5 manifold studs and the 3 studs to the downpipe, and still have two leftover.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help bachands reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-18-2017, 10:33 PM   #3
Saturn Night
Saturn Night has a spectacular aura aboutSaturn Night has a spectacular aura aboutSaturn Night has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2

You can use intake manifold studs and nuts, the way I did on my 1992 manifold swap. The intake studs are the exact same part # as the exhaust, which is discontinued by GM.

The intake nuts are slightly different, than the exhaust nuts. The exhaust nuts were designed to torque and lock onto the studs. Use of the intake nuts will require you to re-torque them after 50 miles of driving, or the first 10 hours of operation.

Once they are re-torqued, you should be fine. The intake nuts have an integral washer, so no problems with alignment.

The intake side doesn't get near as warm as the exhaust, hence why you will need to re-torque them.

Some yards will allow you to pull the studs, yourself, and not charge you. Just make sure they come from a junk engine, as they will not let you pull the intake manifold off a good engine.

1991 Pontiac Grand Am @ 140k - More rust than paint & no leaks
1995 Saturn SC2 @ 181k - 17.2538 @ 77.91mph w/Stock TB
Mechanic: I can't fix stupid, but I can fix what stupid does.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:08 PM   #4
bachands
Advanced Member

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachands View Post
I found the following kit on Ebay: Manifold Hardware Kit

This should work right? I could replace all 5 manifold studs and the 3 studs to the downpipe, and still have two leftover.
So I was able to find the same Dorman kit at Oreilly Auto Parts for even less than Ebay. It seems that the threads fit the exhaust manifold on both ends. The only difference is that the length of the threads on the end that goes into the cylinder head or manifold flange is a bit longer. Not much longer...I'd say about 1/8 of an inch. Also the ends are male hex-head rather than Torx-head.

I doubt the quality of the hardware is as good as that of the OEM, but it seems to be a suitable replacement.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-26-2017, 04:08 PM   #5
TomM96
TomM96 will become famous soon enough

I think those are about the most stressed fasteners on the car.

Aftermarket will probably work , but will probably Not allow more than one fastening-- so if there's a requirement to re-do the attachment , yopu may be in same situation then.

The catcon bolts get more heat & saltspray , but they have much less stress.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TomM96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TomM96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TomM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 10:10 PM   #6
bachands
Advanced Member

2002 SL2

The key is to use stainless steel hardware when possible. I did this when I installed a new cat con outlet flange to a new rear pipe. Months later I had to remove it to replace the oil pan. It came off with little difficulty

I also like to put a light coating of high temp grease on the exposed threads. This helps to inhibit rust and corrosion.

As for the Dorman exhaust manifold studs I used, they are not SS. However, to help with removal (if it is ever needed again), I coated the threads that go into the head with anti-seize. Then I put some high temp grease on the exposed threads. It turned out pretty good. However, I really had to clean the female threads in the head before installing the new studs. I used a tap, several Q-tips sprayed with brake cleaner, and compressed air.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-27-2017, 08:00 AM   #7
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

You can replace intake and exhaust studs with stainless steel Allen head set screws. They come in longe enough sizes that will replace the OEM. McMaster - Carr stocks them. Use a plain blunt end set screw. Be sure to use a nickle based antiseize on them as well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote