SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2017, 09:07 PM   #1
Tom Walsh
Tom Walsh has a spectacular aura aboutTom Walsh has a spectacular aura aboutTom Walsh has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Ignition switch replacement

I've never seen this before, so I figured I'd offer it to the group. I replaced my ignition switch today. Every time I do it, it gets tedious banging on the security screws to remove them, and pulling all the crap on the steering column off. I had a brain fart. Since I have had good luck using left-handed thread drill bits, I tried this approach. I drilled the security screw backward, with a regular bit. Drilling it backward, develops a little heat and voila to my amazement the screws backed right out. A little banging with a wood chisel doesn't hurt. So pull the cowling around the steering wheel (5.5mm). Pull the lower steering column cover (7mm). Drop the steering column (13 mm). Disconnecting the wiring from the back of the switch gives room for a socket to fit by. You'll see the backs of the screws securing the switch to the column. Drill these out with a regular drill bit. I did three today in about two hours. Steering wheel, air bag, all the steering column stuff hangs on the left piece and can stay put. Give it a shot. Now if I could find a way to get key codes from GM that would be fantastic. So many wrecks at the boneyard have no key, it's a shame.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom Walsh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom Walsh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2017, 07:19 AM   #2
Tom Walsh
Tom Walsh has a spectacular aura aboutTom Walsh has a spectacular aura aboutTom Walsh has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Ignition switch replacement

The correct nomenclature for these things are: Lock cylinder bezel ,upper and lower shroud panels, steering column filler panel, shear bolts, Ignition module assembly, etc. There's not much on the IMA, all the stuff hangs off the starship looking thing that holds the IMA to the steering column. My id shows 02 L200 but this was one of my "S"'s , 01 Green (ugh) SL2 wagon. Gonna make it into a work van. I found an "S" tow hitch at my favorite pick and pull.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Tom Walsh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-19-2017, 09:56 AM   #3
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia

2001 SL1

Tom, that is a grand way to ease the frustration of this issue !
Thanks.
Reminds me though of a time whenever I had a co-worker who was drilling into a company step van, to install some alarm system.
I left on a few repair calls, and got back like 4 hours later.
Larry was still on it. Still in the same spot and drilling away like crazy.
I of course popped in and asked "what's up?".
Larry said he had changed bits over and over but still could not get the first hole drilled!
I asked to have a try.
OK, I pick up the corded drill, and squeeze the trigger.
Next I flipped the switch from reverse to forward......
Larry had been at it for hours all in reverse.....
Larry soon found another position elsewhere.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 06:57 AM   #4
Tom Walsh

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Duh!! I had a friend of my son in law , Who fell in love with the thought he could do heating service. Was out of work and unemployment sent him to oil burner school. I told him to be sure he got his truckers license, he could at least pump heating oil. He is now investigating accident claims. Enough said!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-10-2017, 10:09 PM   #5
Tom Walsh

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

A little update, I went to my favorite pick and pull with my helper. Saw an 01 coupe coming in. Sat in the driver's seat and dropped the steering wheel to its lowest setting. Looked over the steering wheel and couldn't believe it. Someone had kerfed the security screws. I was out with the ignition assembly in about 2 minutes. I didn't share how I did it with my friend right away.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!