SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2017, 07:12 PM   #1
Rageclick
Rageclick is on a distinguished road

Default Exhaust leak, wanting to upgrade, so overwhelmed, please help.

I've researched on a few different occasions wanting to change out my whole exhaust system, I'm prepared to dump $1000 into a new system but I am just so overwhelmed by the responses I read from other people. I'm worried I will order something that will either no fit, or make my car run like ****.

I bought a 04' Ion-3 Coupe last year for $1,000... completely in love with it (and I should be, I've only ever owned 3 other cars, all ford focus's, with gay colors and standard windows) Anyway, can anyone just give me a simple answer.

Every exhaust kit says it only fits a 2.0 redline, when I research can I use it anyway, I see people saying it will make the car run like **** but then I see people saying you can put a redline exhaust on a 2.2l and it work just fine which contradicts each statement right. I read I can use a LSJ manifold which I'm not even really sure what is it, I think its from a cobalt ss. Then I read you can use a 2.4 manifold on a 2.2 but again, not exactly sure what part that is or where it's from.

Again I'm sorry if this is dumb and I know people have wrote countless threads on it but there all slightly different and I'm just hoping someone could give me a straight answer for my car model, show me exactly what parts I need to redo my entire exhaust system, so it sounds meaner, deeper then the leaking quiet stock one I have now. I rewrote this post 3 times trying to make it smaller, not wanting to write a story, trying to keep it short and simple for you guys.

Thanks ahead of time for any input, help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rageclick's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rageclick reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Rageclick is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2017, 07:27 PM   #2
Rageclick
Rageclick is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Exhaust leak, wanting to upgrade, so overwhelmed, please help.

BTW, this is what I've been looking at. As you can see, it only fits the 2.0 model. I'm just not sure if it's the whole thing, like will I still need a catalytic converter and exhaust manifold. Pretty sure the leak is around the flex tube area which is part of the catalytic converter. Again sorry If I sound retarded.

carid.com/magnaflow/street-series-stainless-steel-cat-back-exhaust-system-mpn-16663.html?singleid=20206684&url=1581462

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rageclick's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rageclick reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Rageclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 07:48 AM   #3
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rageclick View Post

I bought a 04' Ion-3 Coupe last year for $1,000...leaking quiet stock one I have now. .
Try just fixing the flex joint , first... local muffler shop in your area should be able to handle that.

Is it throwing any codes?

What trans do you have?

What number of miles on it?

What basic maintenance have you kept up with?

ANy history on the car?

If you really want to turn it into a money pit, you can go to sixthsphere for mod info.

It would be a very real scenario to dump money in to the exhaust only to have the trans or engine go belly up in a few months.

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 03:56 PM   #4
Patskeeper1
Patskeeper1 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan

Welcome to the forums Rageclick! I would recommend ZZP parts http://zzperformance.com. They make really good quality stuff. The exhaust manifold would be the best place to start upgrading. The LSJ exhaust manifold that you mentioned is from the Cobalt SS and also the ION Redline. 2.25" is a good diameter for the catback portion and will give you a deeper tone. The ZZP catback is 2.5" iirc. You're going to want a good muffler and resonator too. The ZZP system has a muffler on it already and they have an add-on resonator option. If you don't go with the ZZP system check outhttp://portermufflers.com. Their mufflers have a nice crisp tone and don't drone too terribly. You can piece together the catback portion yourself with pre-bent pipe sections from your local auto parts store or the Summit Racing website, just search for "mandrel bent exhaust pipe". You will need (2)x 90 degree bends and (1)x 45 degree bend and everything else is straight sections.

But, like billysvue said, you could put money into the exhaust and have the engine and/or trans. go bad on you. If you have alot of miles on it already, it might not be worth the effort to upgrade. Hope this helps a bit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Patskeeper1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Patskeeper1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Patskeeper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 10:00 PM   #5
NoDisassemble#5
NoDisassemble#5 has a spectacular aura aboutNoDisassemble#5 has a spectacular aura aboutNoDisassemble#5 has a spectacular aura about

2004 ION-3 Quad Coupe
Dizzy Re: Exhaust leak, wanting to upgrade, so overwhelmed, please help.

I'm currently doing the same. It's super easy with the right tools. My flex pipe crapped out and I sounded like a WW2 fighter plane. SOO I had to remove the tranny anyways, but with 3 more bolts and removal of a few clamps and wire harnesses I hoisted the engine out. The manifold is like 8 bolts, I'd highly recommend starting there. Always go stainless, the 80 yr old you will be grateful when it still sounds crispy. Get the direct fit cat/flex section and the cat back is where you get creative. Stick to the factory bolt patterns so there's no second guessing the orders you make. Good luck

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NoDisassemble#5's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NoDisassemble#5 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NoDisassemble#5 is offline   Reply With Quote