SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2017, 01:46 PM   #1
Christina
Christina is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2
2003 VUE 2.2L
Default To buy or not to buy??

Hi guys. It has been for everrrr since I posted in here but I have a question and this was the first place I thought to ask since you are all so knowledgeable about Saturns

I am looking into buying a larger SUV. We now have 3 kiddos, and are thinking of having one more so obviously we will be needing a bigger car. There are two Saturn Outlook SUVs very close to me that are selling for around $12,000. They are 2008 models with about 100K miles on them and in excellent condition.

I am wondering how you Outlook owners are feeling about your vehicles, and if you would recommend a 2008 Outlook XR AWD? What is the difference between XR and XE? Is there a specific year of Outlook that I should be wary of? It occurred to me that I am seeing a lot of the 2008's but not many 07 or 09's for sale. Should this worry me? I am heading up to look at one of these on Saturday. Any advice would be appreciated Thanks!!

Christina

1962 Chevy II (Nova) - My first car (still have it)
1996 Saturn SC2 - 2000 - present
2003 Saturn VUE AWD (CVT) - RIP @ 103,321 miles
1996 Saturn SL2 - bought March 2011

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Christina's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Christina reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Christina is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2017, 05:34 PM   #2
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: To buy or not to buy??

The Outlook is a vehicular cousin to the Chevrolet Traverse and the GMC Acadia.

Take a look at the link below. There has been a significant problem with the automatic transmission in this model. In particular, a part called a wave plate has broken and resulted in partial transmission failures - loss of 3rd, 5th, and reverse gears. Apparently, this has been warranteed by GM to 10 years from the date on which the vehicle was originally placed in service, or 120K miles, whichever comes first. The member responding in the last post states that all has been well since the transmission work was done.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=208198

Here's information related to this from an ACADIA owner's forum.

http://www.acadiaforum.net/index.php?topic=28490.20

If the sellers have not had the warranty work performed and are not knowledgeable about it, then push the price down. If you purchase one which has not had the warranty work done on the transmission then you'll be without the vehicle for some time while that work takes place.

Lastly, unless you really expect to make use of it, do not purchase an AWD Outlook. You'll spend more money on repairs and gasoline for an item which generally gets very little use. I learned about this with my wife's '04 Acura MDX which is only available with AWD and it's not worth it in SoCal.

273,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

Last edited by pierrot; 05-05-2017 at 05:48 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 08:26 AM   #3
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

2007s were only out a few months so not alot of them. alot of problems with these vehicles. id either go for a 2010 (which would have been a rental originally) or a later model acadia, enclave, same basic car, which had some of the earlyproblems fixed. bought a 2008 xr back in 7/2007. loved it but at 42k was starting to have the normal problems so i traded it. i worked for saturn and outlooks were in the shop every day torn apart .. dont like being negative but id be careful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 01:37 PM   #4
Christina
Christina is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2
2003 VUE 2.2L

Thanks guys, I am reading up on this vehicle like crazy before I even go to look at the ones available in our area. There are currently 3 Outlooks for sale--two 2008 XR AWD V6's for around $12K, one with 95K miles and the other with 110K miles; and a 2009 XE AWD V6 with 146K miles on it for $9K. Naturally I have been looking at these because they are much less expensive than the later versions of the Acadia or Traverse. I was thinking of printing out the list of known problems to take with me to the dealership and using that as a tool to bargain on price depending on what has already been done to the vehicles, and hopefully will be able to purchase a warranty on it that will cover any repairs that might need to be made. I still have my SC2 which I am not selling any time soon, so if the Outlook needed to be in the shop for any reason we would still have another vehicle to drive.

Thank you so much for your responses and information!! We're going to drive up and look at these Outlooks today and figure out what we might want to do.

Christina

1962 Chevy II (Nova) - My first car (still have it)
1996 Saturn SC2 - 2000 - present
2003 Saturn VUE AWD (CVT) - RIP @ 103,321 miles
1996 Saturn SL2 - bought March 2011

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Christina's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Christina reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Christina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 06:44 PM   #5
73fxe
73fxe is on a distinguished road

About a month ago I bought a 2009 Outlook at a auction. I got it for $5200. sense then I have put about $2000 into it . I think to buy one off a lot I would need a bumper to bumper warranty for at least 30 days or 2000 miles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 73fxe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 73fxe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
73fxe is offline   Reply With Quote