SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2017, 07:23 PM   #121
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2
Default Re: 99 SL2 rebuild thread

Mine had been nicely anti-seized when I went to take them out. They went back in with plenty fresh anti-seize.

My wheel bearings sound like this:
https://youtu.be/J8WHGB8IqB0
Ok or on the way out?

We got the subframe back in, plus the struts. My roll of nicopp came today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg torquing swaybar bolts 1.jpg (105.2 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg torquing swaybar bolts 2.jpg (103.9 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg bolting up subframe.jpg (116.5 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg new subframe in 1.jpg (120.1 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg new subframe in 2.jpg (165.6 KB, 46 views)

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is online now   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2017, 08:30 PM   #122
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Don't do that with the axle out as the 2 bearings will separate. It sounds like something may be dragging though. SFK makes a bearing + hub kit and you replace BOTH on BOTH sides. The hub must be checked with a dial indicator for true running AFTER the axle is installed and torqued to spec unloaded while the hub is turned. Do not load or spin excessively until an axle is installed. These things are expensive and easy to ruin.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 11:13 PM   #123
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

OldNuc,
Found this video:
https://youtu.be/BQT6UunKTxw
Looks like one bearing. What am I missing? Also, any idea what would be dragging?

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-11-2017, 12:00 AM   #124
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

It is 2 ball bearings and it does come apart. Will appear to the local shade tree mechanic as a single piece. All the issue with service life is related to establishing the proper initial preload on those 2 ball bearings. There is a clear caution in the FSM to not be rolling the car around without axles in place and torqued. Experience indicates that there is some latitude in this caution. A further note from FSM to replace both axle nut and washer as they are single use parts. The reason is to preclude the loss of the preload.

No idea what is making that noise. If there is nothing external then it is the bearing assembly.

Note the 2 separate inner race components. Each half is an angular contact ball bearing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18018861_Primary__ra_p.jpg (11.4 KB, 9 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-11-2017, 10:07 AM   #125
Waiex191
Master Member

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

If I decide to replace the bearings is there any reason not to reuse the hub? Although it seems like the hub does not add a lot to the cost.

Some of those redneck bearing replacement videos on YouTube are awesome.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-11-2017, 10:39 AM   #126
OldNuc

1998 SC2

YouTube video from the unknown - unverified "experts" are extremely dangerous to equipment and possibly life. The richpin06a videos are technically and technique correct, the remainder may or may not be depending on who made them.

It is critical that the hub face be exactly 90 degrees to the bearing axis of rotation. The remove-reinstall process can and usually does distort them. They can not be straightened and then the rotor must be shimmed to get the disk running true. A failure to do this results in markedly shortened brake and bearing life.

There are multiple hundreds of threads here b1tching about replacement wheel bearing failure. None that I remember have ever mentioned actually checking the installation with a dial indicator but many comments about warped rotors. Guess what, rotors do not warp but hubs do end out of proper alignment. Quality bearings and hubs are not cheap.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-11-2017, 12:54 PM   #127
Waiex191
Master Member

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

I've got a dial indicator and know how to use it. I am also considering bolting up a driveshaft to see if the noise goes away.

I am often a bit obtuse in my writing - but to clarify by awesome I mean entertainment value, not technical awesomeness!

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-11-2017, 02:40 PM   #128
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Yes, stick an axle in there and pull the nut up to 80-100ft-lb while turning the hub. That is not full tight but it will be enough.

At the mileage you are at and the environment the car runs in I would just replace them. Rock Auto has 4 of the SFK kits for about $50.00 ea. They will be more at a local parts store. Anything that makes unexplained noises is ripe for replacement.

AllData has all the brake rotor runout specs and if you divide by 2 then you can use that for the hub as those specs may be hard to find, should be under wheel bearing replacement but you never know where they will be until you find them.

I have been involved in operations and maintenance for a long time. I no longer have any patience for "awesome entertainment value" due to the many hours completely wasted attempting to explain negligence and/or stupidity to outside regulators.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-11-2017, 05:35 PM   #129
Waiex191
Master Member

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Sounds a lot better with the axle in:
https://youtu.be/Orgu2uY-szQ

We got the broken tie rod end off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flame on.jpg (99.8 KB, 226 views)

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-11-2017, 06:13 PM   #130
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Yes it does. Turn very slowly and feel for any roughness.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-13-2017, 10:32 PM   #131
Waiex191
Master Member

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

The bearings feel good. I'm an engineer at my day job, and have seen some bad bearings before. I think I will keep the old ones undisturbed for now.

Tonight we got the rear wheels up on ramps. The ramp part is removable, we just jacked up the car and slid the main part under the wheel. Adam had the good idea to put one ramp going forward and one going backwards so it could not roll off. We took some pictures of our scary brake lines and some other rusty parts. We also tried our first ever bubble flares. I did the one in front of the shiny airplane and Adam did the one over the flare kit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rust 1.jpg (119.5 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg rusty line 1.jpg (204.1 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg tank strap.jpg (100.0 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Bryan flare.jpg (191.7 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Adam flare.jpg (198.5 KB, 48 views)

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-14-2017, 09:08 AM   #132
OldNuc

1998 SC2

If the diameter will fit in the nut and the height is sufficient to get some compression you are good to go with the nuts. Replace brake lines now, all are potential failures.

Best to not replace wheel bearings just for fun but I would buy 2 of the SFK kits now and put on shelf as they may become very hard to find later. If you have a spare in stock the installed component will never fail. <---See Murphy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-15-2017, 10:42 PM   #133
Waiex191
Master Member

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Picture 1: we got the left rear brake line out in one piece. We will duplicate it using nicopp and do the same for the other side.
Picture 2: the cheesy studs that hold the plastic brake/fuel line clips are a disaster. Are they replaceable somehow? Does somebody make replacements?
Picture 3: is this the precat I want to remove? Would it be any better to get an earlier SL2 exhaust manifold?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg left rear brake line.jpg (105.5 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg rusty line clamp stud.jpg (129.3 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg precat.jpg (171.3 KB, 71 views)

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-15-2017, 10:51 PM   #134
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Those are probably spot welded on stud mounts. You could drill and tap the frame for short zinc coated machine screws or stainless, either one. Yes, that is the bottom of the preCAT. Be sure to remove o2 sensor before braking it up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-17-2017, 07:26 PM   #135
Waiex191
Master Member

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

We got the left rear brake line duplicated and installed. Also got the right rear line out. Looks like we need another roll of nicopp. 25' won't do both rear lines.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flaring nicopp.jpg (189.3 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg right rear fitting.jpg (133.3 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg old and new line 1.jpg (155.3 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg old and new line 2.jpg (106.0 KB, 45 views)

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-21-2017, 06:54 AM   #136
Waiex191
Master Member

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Still working brake lines. Realized I forgot to take a dogbone mount bracket off the subframe before I took it to the scrap yard. It is the one near the drive pulley and is on the left side of this picture (right side of the car though). http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/att...4&d=1495768134

My new one is missing the bracket. Anybody got an extra or have a good source?

Machine shop called. Not much taper but some wear so oversize pistons and a bore job will happen. Crank was good. It is moving along.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-21-2017, 07:39 AM   #137
trottida
Master Member
trottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud of

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
Still working brake lines. Realized I forgot to take a dogbone mount bracket off the subframe before I took it to the scrap yard. It is the one near the drive pulley and is on the left side of this picture (right side of the car though). http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/att...4&d=1495768134

Machine shop called. Not much taper but some wear so oversize pistons and a bore job will happen. Crank was good. It is moving along.
I have an extra on my parts car you can have but cross border shipping may make it cost prohibitive. Getting one from an auto wreckers would likely be faster and likely cost the same as the shipping.

Edit: Actually, Canada Post Small Packet Air server would be $11.29 CAD plus 13% taxes from my postal to zip code 61011

1999 SL2 MT (287,130 km @ 10/2019)
2012 Ford Focus SEL HB MT
2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
2001 SL1 MT (438,500 km 11y)
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

:canada:

Last edited by trottida; 06-21-2017 at 07:45 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 12:20 PM   #138
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post

"Crank is good" must come with actual numbers. "good" is undefined. The allowed bearing clearance is 0.0002 to 0.002 and you really do not want to start out at 0.002 or you will have low oil pressure problems.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-25-2017, 09:02 PM   #139
Waiex191
Master Member

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

We have all our hard brake lines replaced. Working with nicopp is a dream. Wish they had it when I was a kid.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg making brake lines.jpg (98.6 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg four nicopp lines.jpg (108.6 KB, 129 views)

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-26-2017, 12:14 AM   #140
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Yes it is nice to work with and it does not rot out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!