SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2017, 09:08 PM   #1
Polaris
Polaris has a spectacular aura aboutPolaris has a spectacular aura aboutPolaris has a spectacular aura about

Happy 2005 Saturn Ion3 Coupe - 0P300 code...

Hey Guys.. I've read through a few things in regards to the 0P300 code.
Based on what I've understood this is an issue with a number of GM motors. This is a new car to me, just had it two weeks. It has 163k miles on it.

From what I've read, this is a list of the likely culprits.
Faulty spark plug (s) Faulty ignition coil (s) Clogged or faulty fuel injector (s) Intake air leak Fuel injectors harness is open or shorted Fuel Injectors circuit poor electrical connection Ignition coils harness is open or shorted Ignition coils circuit poor electrical connection Insufficient cylinders compression Incorrect fuel pressure

R

Does anyone have any further guidance? The car is running very smoothly and has lots of pep. The Ignition coil and module and spark plugs were replaced in November.

I'm thinking of replacing some of those parts again and then working down the list, unless anyone has any other ideas for me. It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
T

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Polaris's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Polaris reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2017, 11:06 PM   #2
Polaris
Polaris has a spectacular aura aboutPolaris has a spectacular aura aboutPolaris has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: 2005 Saturn Ion3 Coupe - 0P300 code...

Ok... so still haven't figured it out yet.

I replaced the plugs, ICM, and the Ignition module.

It is a solid check engine light, only throwing P0300. When I go about 1500RPM the light flashes, and when I come back down under about 1500 rpm it stays solid lit.

The MAF tests good.
I did a check for engine leaks, don't appear to be any...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Polaris reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-24-2017, 12:00 AM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Here's the service manual description for P0300. This is only info for general purposes. What's not given are other issues not covered in manuals and may require an in-depth understanding of EFI systems. While the crank sensor is mentioned, its not likely the problem - if the crank sensor were faulty, the engine will not run at all as it supplies the electronic clock to the ecm/pcm. Without a steady clock signal, the engine computer simply fails to operate and the engine will not run. What may not be apparent in manuals is the age of vehicles, wear and tear on other parts that can affect and create error codes pointing in a different direction. One issue may be a partially clogged catalytic converter. High mileage vehicles may exhibit poor acceleration, loss of engine power, flashing check engine light as symptoms.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Service Information.pdf (99.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: pdf Service Information-1.pdf (81.2 KB, 3 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 05:26 PM   #4
Polaris

Thank you FDryer. I will take a look at the PDFS.
One thing to note. Today I discovered there is a crack in the pipe just before the muffler. I heard some water dripping and popped my head under and saw what was going on. Would something like that cause a general misfire code?

Cheers, P

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-24-2017, 06:15 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Yes and no. There are no specific procedures mentioned anywhere associating damaged exhaust systems with engine running but there are many reports associating problems to error codes after repairs are made. This would be the unlisted before and after things correcting issues not clearly defined in service manuals and error codes. This area would be considered thinking outside the box where straight forward info doesn't help.

Under normal operation, engines run with stock exhaust systems that plays a vital role in emissions control programs. Discovering a leak after a general misfire code, P0300, may be related along with definitions of this error code. It can be presumed when an exhaust leak occurs, something occurs. Exhaust is usually ported thru a closed exhaust system to allow O2 sensors to monitor emissions, control noise levels and prevent exhaust gases from entering the cabin. Since exhaust gases are generated pressures from the normal engine running, pressures are usually handled with appropriately sized piping to prevent too much back pressure while still allowing scavenging. A damaged system may allow air into or flow exhaust out the damaged section and cause a secondary effect to emissions controls. Affecting emissions controls means the upstream O2 sensor may measure diluted exhaust that would alter air/fuel mixtures. This may create a misfire condition. While this is all speculation on my part, I doubt anyone is an expert on EFI systems as vehicles age with age related issues not covered in warranty. Out of warranty issues are of no concern to dealers other than assuring anyone of "We'll take your money and do the best.....", whether or not they can solve the problem (at your expen$e). The same can be said of repair shops. Very few dealers and repairs shops with resident experts have experience above the regular level to address unusual problems. Personally, I describe the regulars as replacement artists after following specific steps using sophisticated scantools. Once a problem isn't solved by exhausting all po$$ibilitie$, hands are thrown up into the air, giving up. The few expert experts are the ones to figure out the near impossible.

Public message boards can be very useful to narrow down where a problem lies but can also mislead anyone. The best you can do is address this exhaust leak, temporarily if possible to see if the P0300 code goes away on its own. Most error codes are self diagnosed while driving. This smart technology also allows the diagnostic programs to detect corrective actions and extinguish the check engine light in the next engine startup/drive cycle or in a few drive cycles without resorting to disconnecting the battery, using a reader to reset the cel or pulling fuses.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 06:57 PM   #6
Polaris

Well guys...
I broke down and took it to the shop. Crossed my fingers. Told them the few things I did. An hour later they call back with great news. They did a hard reboot of the computer and did a crankshaft relearn procedure and now it's running perfectly.

Thought this might help anyone with similar issues. Well worth $100 in my opinion.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-08-2017, 12:19 AM   #7
Winddrift
Winddrift is on a distinguished road

Hi can you please tell me what a hard boot of the computer is please. How do one do this I have a GM TECH2 Scanner.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Winddrift's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Winddrift reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Winddrift is offline   Reply With Quote