SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2017, 04:10 PM   #1
atikovi
atikovi is a jewel in the roughatikovi is a jewel in the roughatikovi is a jewel in the rough

Default 2006 Vue 3.5L A/C not cooling

Just bought it with the a/c inop. Gauges show around 25 psi so I figure it's just a little low. Connect my drum of freon with a heater and after about 10 minutes it only takes 7 oz. Gauges around 60 low 90 high at 80 degrees. Both lines warm. What should be my next step? It has 220,000 miles so I assume replace the compressor?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to atikovi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help atikovi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2017, 04:38 PM   #2
atikovi
atikovi is a jewel in the roughatikovi is a jewel in the roughatikovi is a jewel in the rough

Default Re: 2006 Vue 3.5L A/C not cooling

Was able to add another 10oz when revving the engine to 2,000 rpm and the a/c got cold. When idling it's warm again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help atikovi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-20-2017, 04:47 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Wasting good refrigerant avoids the issue no one wants to face, the leak. Topping off a system is a band aid. Unless you can prove it, any leak is the same as refilling a leaking tire except you're using expensive refrigerant. Find and fix the leak first. Buy an inexpensive UV light and shine it all over the a/c plumbing system. An example of dye can be found on the high pressure service valve. Greenish yellow dye is mixed permanently with refrigerant oil and they circulate throughout the system. A leak will release refrigerant, oil and dye to mark the leak site. All Saturns have dye (without a freshness date). One place to look with out without a UV light is behind the compressor. A diamond shaped cover tends to leak. A thread about this issue covers repairs without buying a replacement compressor. It would be wise to buy and use a UV light to ensure a leak doesn't exist otherwise you'll be revisiting this problem again. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=191521

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:59 PM   #4
atikovi

Yes I understand that but you still have to add freon to check if the rest of the system still works, as well as to test for leaks. At $4 a pound it's not a big cost. No sense in finding a leak, charging it up only to find the compressor is bad. From that link it's seems like the control valve in the compressor is bad. Will have to read more on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-20-2017, 05:52 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

You're not familiar with refrigeration at all. Every a/c system is sealed and always under pressure whether on or off. If you are unfamiliar with refrigeration systems, you're about to embark on a steep learning curve attempting to assume many things that will cost you more money than you can imagine. Personally, I learned about refrigeration years ago and practiced repairs (with success) using r12 gauges, a junk refrigerator pump acting as a perfect evacuation pump by adding a service port, and one manual. Refrigeration is as complex as turbocharging. Unless you fully understand how turbocharging operates and how the EFI system operates with a turbo or supercharger, refrigeration is just as difficult to understand, diagnose, troubleshoot and repair. I don't work on turbocharged engines but fascinated enough to read all I can to understand why beginners blow up their engines without learning the 'nuances' of positive boost. In case you're wondering, every engine sucks air in (non turbo/super charged engines) making them naturally aspirated (in engine terminology). To fully appreciate what can go wrong, find and read a recent S-series member attempting to repair his a/c system. So far he's stalled after repairs because he hasn't accepted the fact that his knowledge is more limited than he cares to admit and doubled his problems (after repairs the system still leaked) with new gauges - the supposedly new aftermarket gauge set was determined to have a leaking high pressure hose. He's refused, (or hasn't acknowledged) to borrow a gauge set with hoses from Autozone to continue troubleshooting. His leak has yet to be found. Hint; he replaced the evaporator coil and still has a leak in his system.

Once you accept the fact that a/c systems are always under pressure, you'll understand why a leak is the first sign of a problem because once a leak occurs, losing refrigerant simply decreases cooling until most of the refrigerant has leaked out and the compressor is blamed as faulty. A compressor cannot operate if refrigerant isn't in a system. No one can tell whether half a pound or 1.5 pounds of r134a is in a system based on pressure readings. No one. Since refrigerant is compressible and has properties different from other gases, understanding how gases are compressed may give an idea of what you're working with. As I read this all the time in these forums, refilling and stating "a system needs refrigerant to find the leak...." is all about being ill informed, misinformed, assumptions or presumptions . I search and found my first r134a leak in less than five minutes.............by using a uv light. No refilling needed as the system leaked out and left markers. If you truly believe refilling is absolutely necessary to finding a leak then this will be my last post in this thread and I wish you good luck in your attempts to repair your system. I won't waste my time or yours convincing you you're assumptions are wrong.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-20-2017, 06:51 PM   #6
atikovi

Normally I would have vacuumed out the system, see if it held vac, then charged it to spec. In this case since there still was some pressure in the system I decided to add freon first to see if the compressor would kick in. It did, and exhibited the scroll valve symptoms in the other thread. For me, a leak is a secondary issue and if I have to add a pound a season I can live with that. If there was a major leak, I wouldn't have any pressure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-20-2017, 09:51 PM   #7
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

This is my last reply here - a leak is a major issue and the reason for your incorrect presumptions. If a leak isn't a major issue then the leak and dye markers from the scroll valve cover in your thinking means nothing. Its leaking - its a major issue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-23-2017, 06:28 PM   #8
Cavell
Cavell is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 3.0L
2003 VUE 3.0L

I found a hole in my a/c line where it had been pushed against exhaust manifold. This vue is new to me so i have no history. I replaced hose and evac'd system and added some freon. Compressor came on and I noticed no cooling fan. Which I believe is correct since pressure is low. After adding 10 oz of freon fan came on. Vent temp is cooler than air temp. Ok that's enough for now. It's not hot outside yet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cavell's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cavell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cavell is offline   Reply With Quote