SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2017, 11:46 PM   #1
cirdanlunae
cirdanlunae is on a distinguished road

1997 SW2
Question Converting automatic windows to manual?

Two of my four windows do not work, and the front passenger one is starting to give out. I want to swap these out for manual windows. I'm sure that it's as easy as removing the automatic motors and putting in the manual regulators and drilling a hole for the crank in the door panel. Anyone have any experience in doing this?

Also, if anyone has any used manual window regulators they don't need, let me know

1997 Saturn SW2 - happy 20th birthday!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cirdanlunae's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cirdanlunae reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cirdanlunae is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2017, 12:42 AM   #2
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Converting automatic windows to manual?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cirdanlunae View Post
Two of my four windows do not work, and the front passenger one is starting to give out. I want to swap these out for manual windows.
I see that you want to convert to manual window regulators, but I don't understand why you'd want to. Are the currently installed window regulators original from the factory or have any of them been replaced prior to this time? In other words, what has the service life been of the parts in question?

Quote:
I'm sure that it's as easy as removing the automatic motors and putting in the manual regulators and drilling a hole for the crank in the door panel. Anyone have any experience in doing this?
Nope, not me, nor would I choose this option for myself. Power window regulators are very useful especially if you're the only one in the car and you want to roll down a window other than the one at the driver's door. In my case the only problems relating to my power windows have been weakened wires between the center pillar and the Left Rear door, and, at the same door, the window base's wheel popping the place where it attaches to the regulator. This occurred on a couple of occasions several years ago, but has not recurred since then. The regulators in my car have been otherwise trouble free.

264,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:14 AM   #3
Johansula
Johansula is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Two of my four windows do not work, and the front passenger one is starting to give out. I want to swap these out for manual windows. I'm sure that it's as easy as removing the automatic motors and putting in the manual regulators and drilling a hole for the crank in the door panel. Anyone have any experience in doing this?

Also, if anyone has any used manual window regulators they don't need, let me know

Cirdanlunae, did you really thought it through? I don't really think it will be easy to make conversion like that - do you know the reason for failure of your automatic windows? If it happened to two of them it might be some easy and cheap to fix motor/cable problem. I believe that converting it to manual isn't worth your time... and money

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Johansula's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Johansula reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Johansula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 01:52 PM   #4
Telyx
Telyx is on a distinguished road

2002 SL

I may be too late with this answer, but in the case of my ex-wife's 2001 SL1 the front windows started acting up. I removed the switch cluster from the console, took it apart, cleaned the carbon off the contacts, put it back together and put it back in the console, and the windows were back to working fine.

RIP my 2002 SL1, totaled 9/18/2012... found its replacement (2002 SL) 9/26/12.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Telyx's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Telyx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Telyx is offline   Reply With Quote