SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2017, 12:48 PM   #1
cirdanlunae
cirdanlunae is on a distinguished road

1997 SW2
Default Radio antenna adaptor question

Hi folks! New to the forums. I've been a lurker for a while, and I thought I'd ask my first question.

I went to a local salvage yard to get a stock radio for my 97 SW2. They pulled the radio from a 99 S-series. The power/audio/etc. connector works fine. The antenna plug, however, didn't fit into the radio. Did different year cars have different size antenna plugs? Does anyone have experience in this?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cirdanlunae's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cirdanlunae reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cirdanlunae is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2017, 12:51 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2
Default Re: Radio antenna adaptor question

There is an adapter you have to use. GM antenna adapter. Be sure you get the one that has the 90 degree plug on the radio end. Example--- http://www.ebay.com/itm/American-Int...5Y2XsH&vxp=mtr

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 03:11 PM   #3
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

Same size antenna '91-'02 so either the "new" radio isn't stock or the "old" radio wasn't and you just need to pull the adapter off.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 12:07 AM   #4
cirdanlunae

1997 SW2

The new unit I put in is definitely stock. Right from a 99 s series, Saturn logo and all. The old one was after market, but the antenna plug is standard... No adaptor on it. I can take it apart and snap a pic of what exactly the scenario is. Can't do that till Monday. It's odd...I figured the units would be the same on the back. Isn't it just a standard Motorola connector for these radios?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help cirdanlunae reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-02-2017, 09:47 AM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

The plug you are looking at on the antenna lead is an extension cable with a STANDARD diameter plug. You need to trace it back until you fid the actual antenna lead and disconnect the AFTERMARKET adapter and then get the GM10 adapter I linked you a picture of.

Top 2 rows. http://www.metraonline.com/search?q=...&submit=submit

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-08-2017, 07:38 PM   #6
cirdanlunae

1997 SW2

@OldNuc, took my radio off today and checked the antenna. Had no idea there was an adaptor there...I honestly thought the plug WAS the end of the lead. Took it off, and the plug underneath fit the radio perfectly. Thanks for the help!

1997 Saturn SW2 - happy 20th birthday!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-08-2017, 08:46 PM   #7
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Yes there is also an adapter to convert the GM-10 to the older larger plug. Usually what you find is the actual lead from the car antenna is relatively short and ends above the glove box left side. At that point the large to GM-10 adapter cable is attached. Some aftermarket installs will remove that GM-10 adapter and replace it with a large size plug and socket adapter so the cable reaches the radio.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!