SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2017, 08:37 PM   #1
Deliverydriver
Deliverydriver is on a distinguished road

Wrench Pulled plugs on oil burner.

Hello everyone, first post here!
I am doing a complete replacement of the timing chain, cam & crank sprockets & tensioner with guides, on my 1993 sl2, odometer stopped at 62k.
I bought it few months ago off ebay (in a bout of nostalgia )-to be my delivery vehicle.
-The timing chain is rattling pretty bad.
-The car burns 1qt/150-200 miles in city driving. I don't see any smoke while running, a couple times maybe under full throttle. Valve cover has oil on plugs.

I just pulled plugs and am doing a MMO soak then I'll do a chemical motor flush and empty the oil and do the timing.
I have never seen plugs this bad in person, not even on a 2 stroke!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170328_190439-min.jpg (116.0 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 20170328_190446-min.jpg (114.6 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 20170328_190446-min-1.jpg (123.3 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 20170328_191308-min.jpg (216.6 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 20170328_191541-min.jpg (100.4 KB, 22 views)

2005 Saab 9-3 2.0t
1993 SL2(bought 11/2015) odometer stopped at 62k, unknown mileage.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Deliverydriver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Deliverydriver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Deliverydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2017, 07:56 AM   #2
BV22
Master Member
BV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of light

2002 SC1
Default Re: Pulled plugs on oil burner.

Those are some sorry looking plugs. Much if the oil is probably from the cam cover gasket leak - the wells fill up with oil. Given the amount of wear on the electrodes, I wonder if those were the original plugs!

There is not much you can do at that oil burn rate. A MMO soak will likely accomplish nothing, but there is no harm in trying. Berryman's B12 Chemtool seems to be a more aggressive soak agent, and some here have reported success with it.

BV22
2002 SC1 5M
298k 10/17

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BV22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BV22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BV22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 09:27 AM   #3
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Mine had less oil, more rust

nostalgia? You had a Saturn previously? You certainly seem to know your way around the car

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 02:50 AM   #4
Deliverydriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
Mine had less oil, more rust

nostalgia? You had a Saturn previously? You certainly seem to know your way around the car
My first first car was a 94 sl2 5 speed that I got it Back in 05'. Car was great considering I found out that the odometer had been rolled back 100k, but the car died in an accident. This 93' I have is going to be some work. The car is from the NE and 24 years old. It was 1 owner and I have to imagine garage kept for some years. I have some typical frame rust issues on that need to be fixed in the rear door sills. One side is not too bad and is only a inch diameter on a flat area but the passenger rear door sill has about 7 inches longx 3 wide of the top uncurved section under the plastic that need to be replaced. I felt around and the sides and bottom seem okay, this is going to be a tough one.

I replaced: the brakes and rotors all around, both rear calipers, muffler, PCV hose, fuel return hose repair, 2ft long brake line section repair, adjust e-brake cable, decarbon intake, installed re-manufactured valve body, new battery, new oil, MMO soak followed by ATF soak to lube & clean things up.

What is needed.
-Timing system w/ valve cover, etc...
-Rust repair
-Gauge cluster temp gauge
-Odometer
-Speakers
-Lube up window cranks
-Driver seat torn

2005 Saab 9-3 2.0t

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Deliverydriver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-30-2017, 03:06 AM   #5
Deliverydriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by BV22 View Post
Those are some sorry looking plugs. Much if the oil is probably from the cam cover gasket leak - the wells fill up with oil. Given the amount of wear on the electrodes, I wonder if those were the original plugs!

There is not much you can do at that oil burn rate. A MMO soak will likely accomplish nothing, but there is no harm in trying. Berryman's B12 Chemtool seems to be a more aggressive soak agent, and some here have reported success with it
The cam cover gasket does leak some around the plugs. What do you attribute the majority of the oil loss to? Normal driving I see no smoke and it is burning a qt/tank, no puddles left behind...

2005 Saab 9-3 2.0t

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-30-2017, 06:16 AM   #6
Saturn Night
Saturn Night has a spectacular aura aboutSaturn Night has a spectacular aura aboutSaturn Night has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliverydriver View Post
The cam cover gasket does leak some around the plugs. What do you attribute the majority of the oil loss to? Normal driving I see no smoke and it is burning a qt/tank, no puddles left behind...
Get a Fel-Pro PremaDry for the valve cover gasket. It will come with new rubber grommets.

I can tell you exactly where all that oil is going: The valve seals.

An MMO/ATF/Berryman's soak is not going to do anything for that engine. In fact, I can tell you when to look for blue smoke, too.

When coasting down from highway speeds, over a lengthy period of time. Once you come off the coasting(because the fuel/spark is shut off during coasting), the oil leaks past the work valve seals, and builds up in the cylinders. When you accelerate from a dead stop/idle, you will briefly see the blue smoke..

I have had two cars, with bad valve seals, and both of them used/uses(My 1995 SC2 has oil consumption similar to yours) about one quart per 200 miles.

1991 Pontiac Grand Am @ 139k - More rust than paint & no leaks
1995 Saturn SC2 @ 179k - 17.2538 @ 77.91mph w/Stock TB
Mechanic: I can't fix stupid, but I can fix what stupid does.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 10:46 PM   #7
Deliverydriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Night View Post

When coasting down from highway speeds, over a lengthy period of time. Once you come off the coasting(because the fuel/spark is shut off during coasting), the oil leaks past the work valve seals, and builds up in the cylinders. When you accelerate from a dead stop/idle, you will briefly see the blue smoke..

I have had two cars, with bad valve seals, and both of them used/uses(My 1995 SC2 has oil consumption similar to yours) about one quart per 200 miles.
I've tried, but it is hard to notice any smoke at highway speeds in my rear view mirror. In the next few days I am going to put my dashcam (with a gps displaying road speed in camera frame) on the rear window and face it at exhaust. That way I'll have some documentation and something to post.

2005 Saab 9-3 2.0t

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-31-2017, 09:43 PM   #8
Claybury
Claybury will become famous soon enough

You should check to see if the PCV valve is a Delco part. After market ones can increase oil consumption.
The one on my SC2 was full of sludge so I soaked it in solvent and since I needed the car in the morning I put in an aftermarket valve. I was shocked to see the car went through a quart in 350 miles. With the Delco part back in consumption went back to normal.

2002 SC2 1.9L
2007 Vue 3.5L
1985 Fiero SE 3.1L
1974 Triumph Spitfire 3.1L V6
2002 Ram duelly diesel 5.9L
1975 Honda PA50 0.05L (Swarm and destroy)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Claybury's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Claybury reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Claybury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 09:54 PM   #9
Saturn Night
Saturn Night has a spectacular aura aboutSaturn Night has a spectacular aura aboutSaturn Night has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claybury View Post
You should check to see if the PCV valve is a Delco part. After market ones can increase oil consumption.
The one on my SC2 was full of sludge so I soaked it in solvent and since I needed the car in the morning I put in an aftermarket valve. I was shocked to see the car went through a quart in 350 miles. With the Delco part back in consumption went back to normal.
Is that bad, when Saturn owners consider certain levels of oil consumption to be "normal"? Lololol......

Why didn't GM ever figure out how to drill some damn holes in the pistons......the world may never know....

1991 Pontiac Grand Am @ 139k - More rust than paint & no leaks
1995 Saturn SC2 @ 179k - 17.2538 @ 77.91mph w/Stock TB
Mechanic: I can't fix stupid, but I can fix what stupid does.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote