SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2017, 06:10 PM   #21
nicolas_p
nicolas_p will become famous soon enoughnicolas_p will become famous soon enough

2009 Astra XR
2008 Astra XE
Default Re: Saturn Recall of Takata Module

Probably not the first but they aren't very careful dealership either. They've scratched my freshly painted rims, forgot to bleed my brakes, spilt oil all over my engine and not cleaning it which ruined my painted engine. I usually bring my car to John Bear on Lake st.

09 Vauxhall Astra XR3/STD
18" Team Dynamic MonzaR rims
Eibach Sportline, Whiteline BHR75Z swaybar and EBC Rotors
CD30 Mp3, Insignia jets, vxR surround, sharkfin antenna, Spoiler, Tint

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nicolas_p's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nicolas_p reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nicolas_p is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2017, 11:07 PM   #22
JFS
JFS is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

After a long wait, my local Caddy dealership, deigned by GM to be all things Saturn to the Silicon Valley, finally has in the replacement Takata part. Yesterday I made an appointment for Friday 9 June 2017 to have it replaced.

Today I'm thinking of cancelling and going with another dealership in Colma, CA about 40 miles north of here. Colma is known for being a very quiet town. It is made up mostly of graveyards and car dealerships. Hey, it's the Bay Area, so it can be weird.

Some Chevy dealership up there must have bought the list of outstanding Astras needing fixing, as I got a high quality mailer from them seeking me out as an Astra owner who has not yet been serviced. I may Call the Caddy dudes and tell 'em to shove it after the long wait and not so much as calling and saying "kiss our collective ass" after the many promises to keep me apprised.

Its my thread and I'll pout if I want to.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JFS's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JFS reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 05:44 PM   #23
JFS
JFS is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

After 2 1/2 hours on the phone (on hold mostly) and many after weeks, I obtained a new airbag today. I don't dislike GM, but they make it hard to respect them when they are oblivious of how much time they have used up over the months to schedule and then actually provide a one hour appointment.

Hope anyone with an outstanding airbag replacement has a better experience.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JFS's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JFS reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 07:53 PM   #24
kikastra
kikastra has a spectacular aura aboutkikastra has a spectacular aura aboutkikastra has a spectacular aura about

2009 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFS View Post
After 2 1/2 hours on the phone (on hold mostly) and many after weeks, I obtained a new airbag today. I don't dislike GM, but they make it hard to respect them when they are oblivious of how much time they have used up over the months to schedule and then actually provide a one hour appointment.

Hope anyone with an outstanding airbag replacement has a better experience.
Do you mean besides the fact that it took more than a year to provide a part, that supposedly replaces a part that is potentially lethal?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kikastra's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kikastra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kikastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 10:22 AM   #25
emg77
Advanced Member
emg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikastra View Post
Do you mean besides the fact that it took more than a year to provide a part, that supposedly replaces a part that is potentially lethal?
And yet, we still got the replacements much earlier than most people. There's about 65-70 million airbags to be replaced, and Takata can make about 1 million a month. They've been at it for almost 2 years, but expect it may take another 3-4 years to make the rest of the replacements.

Drives: 2014 Volt, 2015 Acadia
Past Cars: 08 Astra, 12 Enclave, 09 Traverse, 05 Vue, 04 Grand Prix, 00 Alero, 97 LeSabre, 72 Cutlass S

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to emg77's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help emg77 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
emg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 02:39 PM   #26
FieroAlex
FieroAlex is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolas_p View Post
Probably not the first but they aren't very careful dealership either. They've scratched my freshly painted rims, forgot to bleed my brakes, spilt oil all over my engine and not cleaning it which ruined my painted engine. I usually bring my car to John Bear on Lake st.
Thanks I'll go elsewhere. I keep getting notices from a Niagara Falls dealership on Thorold Stone road. I might just go there then.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FieroAlex's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FieroAlex reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FieroAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 07:24 PM   #27
velocast
velocast has a spectacular aura aboutvelocast has a spectacular aura aboutvelocast has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: I DON'T WANT TO PLAY WITH MY LIFE

Do not play with your life! If I knew the seriousness of this problem, I probably will be driving with the steering airbag removed!

Saturn Astra Airbag System Components:
1) Sensors
2) Wires
3) Computer
4) Airbag (bag + inflator) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The TAKATA problem start here

“Ammonium nitrate is a chemical compound that is not stable. It can react (explode) when become exposed to moisture, high temperatures, and humid air.” ou

THE TAKATA INFLATOR PROBLEM: The ammonium nitrate that is stored in the Takata inflator does not have a proper “desiccant compound” to keep it dry. Also, the inflator metal assembly does not shield well enough the ammonium nitrate’s explosion, and the outside elements. It does ruptures sending bullet metal pieces towards the driver.

So, if your Astra is exposed to warm climates, or high levels of humidity it can explode sending metal pieces toward you. Aware, the Takata air bag may go off inadvertently. BOOM! Adios life
CURE: Replace the steering wheel airbag module

The Recall Service Problem

Obviously, there are not that many Astras on the road. Most dealerships are looking the Takata recall like a collision repair. They want to remove the bumper, remove the dash panel, change wires, replace the computer, etc. I was told that it will take around 4 hours because they will have to remove the entire front dash panel, etc. I was asked more than 10 times what kind of car is it? I don’t want leave my Astra at the mercy of this kind butchers. By the way a good butcher will know the right “cut of meat” for the right cooking. Delicious!

So, I went to a former Saturn dealership where they service Buick and Cadillac. I knew what they were talking about. No problem! They replaced professionally the driver air bag module, and did reset the computer.

Good work!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to velocast's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help velocast reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
velocast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 10:19 AM   #28
nicolas_p
nicolas_p will become famous soon enoughnicolas_p will become famous soon enough

2009 Astra XR
2008 Astra XE

Shouldn't be more than 30 minutes to replace the airbag. Disconnect the battery, remove old airbag, install new airbag, connect battery. Drive away

09 Vauxhall Astra XR3/STD
18" Team Dynamic MonzaR rims
Eibach Sportline, Whiteline BHR75Z swaybar and EBC Rotors
CD30 Mp3, Insignia jets, vxR surround, sharkfin antenna, Spoiler, Tint

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nicolas_p's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nicolas_p reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nicolas_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 09:35 AM   #29
velocast
velocast has a spectacular aura aboutvelocast has a spectacular aura aboutvelocast has a spectacular aura about

The former Saturn dealership I went had the module available in stock. Yes, It is only to replace the airbag module. Probably, it will take few minutes for most of us who replaced the steering wheel.

I rather let them do their way. They replaced the module, reset the computer, exploded, and disposed the recalled airbag. It took around hour and half. Nice service!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to velocast's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help velocast reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
velocast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 05:18 PM   #30
Astra08
Astra08 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Had mine done recently as well at the local GMC/Buick dealer. Left the car, they finished it the same day.

They were somewhat surprised when I pulled in, and a couple of the service writers said they had never seen one before.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Astra08's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Astra08 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Astra08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 11:14 AM   #31
FreedomSoftware
FreedomSoftware is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astra08 View Post

They were somewhat surprised when I pulled in, and a couple of the service writers said they had never seen one before.

I work at a Chevy Dealer and none of the service writers who worked at a Saturn Dealer before has never seen one which surprised me.

'08 Saturn Astra
-Windows Tint all around
-JVC Head unit
-Dual 12" Subs
-Black Painted Roof Rack

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FreedomSoftware's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FreedomSoftware reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FreedomSoftware is offline   Reply With Quote