SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2017, 06:28 PM   #1
chrro
chrro is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
Default Higher temps after ECTS replacement

Some background, skip to bold for my question.

Hi there. First off, I've got a 1997 SC2. Being a young guy, this is the first car I've worked on by myself. After learning to clean the throttle body due to a sticky gas pedal and changing the oil, I've decided to change the ECTS. I was getting readings just above 1/4 on the coolant temp gauge. Well, I did the replacement, following Wolfman's post, and Richpin's video. Turns out it had already been replaced with a brass tipped sensor, and the sender connector was pretty fresh looking as well! Iput the new sensor in anyway, with some blue loctite as recommended by a Saturn repair guide I found online (can provide if necessary). I reset the PCM, and I let that sit for a couple hours. Now I am test running the car now, and...

The gauge now behaves differently by going up to 1/4 much faster and then slowly making its way up to just before 3/4, where the fan then kicks on. Is this too hot? Why would this change by replacing a brass sensor with the same kind? Sorry if this has been asked before, I did try searching and couldn't find anything definitive.

Last edited by chrro; 02-18-2017 at 06:33 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chrro's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chrro reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chrro is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2017, 06:32 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2
Default Re: Higher temps after ECTS replacement

Brass sensors do fail also and if that has a spliced in connector you moved it and if the splices are not soldered you will also see readings change as you move the wires. Follow the 2 wires back to the main wire bundle and look for crimp connectors, if you find any they need to go away.

What you are seeing now is the proper behavior.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 06:37 PM   #3
chrro
chrro is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Follow the 2 wires back to the main wire bundle and look for crimp connectors, if you find any they need to go away.
Thanks for the speedy reply. There is a small connector on each wire. It sounds like I need to remove these plastic crimps and solder the connection?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chrro's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chrro reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chrro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 09:50 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrro View Post
Thanks for the speedy reply. There is a small connector on each wire. It sounds like I need to remove these plastic crimps and solder the connection?
Yes, and insulate with heat shrink.

These crimp connectors corrode internally over time and add series resistance into the ECTS loop. This provides a lower temp indication than actual. As the wire is probably loose in at lest 1 of the 4 crimps motion will change the quality of the connection and cause erratic behavior. This type of connector was never intended for small signal low current connections.

Easy permanent fix and should improve overall engine performance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote