SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2017, 12:50 PM   #1
two_sl2s
two_sl2s is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
1996 SL2
Default Power Steering-Variable steering or not?

I am changing the power steering pump on my 2002 SL2 DOHC Automatic
They keep asking if I have variable steering or not. I have searched sites where I give my VIN, but it still does not narrow it down. I found a note on the non-variable that says from VIN #TZ371463. My vin is 1G8ZK52792Z126018. Can anyone help with which power steering pump I need?

Only OneSL2Now

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to two_sl2s's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help two_sl2s reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
two_sl2s is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2017, 01:05 PM   #2
BV22
Master Member
BV22 is just really niceBV22 is just really niceBV22 is just really niceBV22 is just really niceBV22 is just really nice

2002 SC1
Default Re: Power Steering-Variable steering or not?

A 3rd gen SL2 should have the variable pump. If there is an electrical connector plugged into the current pump, it is variable (EVO).

BV22
2002 SC1 5M
291k 06/17

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BV22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BV22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BV22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 12:24 AM   #3
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2
Default Re: Power Steering-Variable steering or not?

The parts interchange is about as stupid as it gets when it comes to S-Series power steering.

Factory DOHC engine means Variable (ie: with EVO valve) power steering.
Factory SOHC engine means either no power steering at all or non-variable power steering.

You can swap pumps between the engines, but you also have to swap the bracket as there are cutouts/divots that only line up with the correct pump but mount to either engine. If the EVO valve isn't sent the proper PWM signal it doesn't do anything, you get full power 100% of the time (though on the SOHC's it adds a bit of complication to installing the ps fluid lines).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote