SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2017, 10:27 AM   #1
oharag
oharag is on a distinguished road

Default 1999 Saturn SL Odometer Not Working

Okay this will be my second Saturn SL. I just received a 1999 S SL from a friend. First thing I noticed is the Odometer is not working. This is a digital version I believe. Where there should be numbers it's just blank. I need this to work to get PA inspection. Has this happened to anyone on this forum? If yes how easy to fix? I'm hoping it's a fuse issue. I'm I correct to assume it's digital? There are no numbers displayed at all - so It's not analog.

The car is in the shop. The shop called and said they can just buy another Odometer for $200. Again, I'm hoping it's just a fuse.

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to oharag's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help oharag reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
oharag is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2017, 12:09 PM   #2
oharag
oharag is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 1999 Saturn SL Odometer Not Working

Quote:
Originally Posted by oharag View Post
Okay this will be my second Saturn SL. I just received a 1999 S SL from a friend. First thing I noticed is the Odometer is not working. This is a digital version I believe. Where there should be numbers it's just blank. I need this to work to get PA inspection. Has this happened to anyone on this forum? If yes how easy to fix? I'm hoping it's a fuse issue. I'm I correct to assume it's digital? There are no numbers displayed at all - so It's not analog.

The car is in the shop. The shop called and said they can just buy another Odometer for $200. Again, I'm hoping it's just a fuse.

Thanks
Ok it's seems like it is working - though the backlight does not. That is why I can not see it at night. I did not bother looking at during the day. Anyone change the backlight for a digital OD?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to oharag's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help oharag reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
oharag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 12:53 PM   #3
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

$0.50 for a bulb is a lot better than $200...lol
Guide:
http://www.differentracing.com/tech_...99cluster.html

If you're brave & careful skip the dropping the steering wheel down part. I did it that way once, then found it's not required if you're careful about how it comes out. I never broke one but have read of others that did.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 03:25 PM   #4
mattwithcats
mattwithcats will become famous soon enoughmattwithcats will become famous soon enough

2002 SL2

Odometer bulb for Gen 2 with digital is #73.
The others are a #74...

However, I think a PC74 from Superbrights will fit just fine,
And you can change the backlights to a different color at the same time...
https://www.superbrightleds.com/sear...nt-bulbs/pc74/

2002 Silver SL2, manual, 5th gear swap (.605), 78,000 miles, black badges,
205/60R15 "H" rated tires, 5mm spacers rear...
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30, NAPA 41516...
NGK BKR6E-11 spark plugs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattwithcats's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattwithcats reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattwithcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 12:10 PM   #5
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

I think we've all replaced that odometer bulb
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=154888

I used a 74LL before I found out it was supposed to be a 73. Looks like I changed the bulb 6/2016 and it is still working today. The #73 is dimmer but supposed to have a much longer life.

In addition to the info on Low Saturn's differntracin site, richpin has a bunch of videos on YT - this one for removing the instrument panel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jXiwgm3bPg

The Saturn S series is exceedingly easy to work on, and well documented. We've had many newbies/non-mechanics come here to ask questions and then end up doing the work themselves when they realized how easy it was. And (no offense) many of those were women who generally don't work on cars.

I probably would have never tackled removing the instrument cluster had it not been for this forum (it was the first time I have done a panel removal)

As a new owner, I suggest you read the sticky thread in the general forum
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=79

#1 tip, check your oil frequently, and do not let it drop below a diamond or two on the dipstick before topping off

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project-one day
11/2016 red 2002 SC2 115k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote