SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2017, 10:47 PM   #1
Household6
Household6 has a spectacular aura aboutHousehold6 has a spectacular aura aboutHousehold6 has a spectacular aura about

2007 Outlook XR
Default HID option

So we have had our Outlook for a week or so now and, as nearly expected, are starting to find little things wrong with it. (She has 165k miles on her with a Chevy dealer replaced engine at 100k and appears tranny was replaced at some point too.)

On the way home from the dealership I noticed the headlights going dim. Come to find out it's the passenger headlight flickering ON, remaining off most of the time (also have a running lamp out on other side). After reading here, I realize we're faced with the headlight wiring harness issue. But one thing I'm not clear about is whether the issue exists only (usually) for halogen bulbs, or if the HID headlights havevalso suffered such fate.

I THINK I have the HID headlights. Is there a way to tell by the VIN or the door sticker what she came from the factory with? Assuming it is the HID lights, does the wiring harness issue also hold true for those headlights, or do I need to be looking for a different issue entirely?

Many thanks! And please allow me to apologize in advance for the many questions that are sure to come on various issues.

2007 Outlook XR AWD
Dark Blue, Tan Leather, 2nd row Captains Chairs
Fully Loaded
Engine Replaced by dealer at 100k, Evidence of new(er) transmission
(Purchased in Feb 2017 with 165k miles)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Household6's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Household6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Household6 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2017, 04:10 AM   #2
TSC1969
TSC1969 is on a distinguished road

2008 Outlook XR
Default Re: HID option

I'm not sure if the HID lights were affected but I would start with a call to the dealer to see if the headlight recall was completed. Also, I think there is a website you can check by VIN to see if there are any open recalls for your vehicle. Sorry, I do not recall the website.

2008 Outlook XR AWD
Silver Pearl - Black Leather
Advanced Audio w/DVD - Sunroof
Touring Pkg. - Chrome Running Boards
Trailering Pkg. - Convenience Pkg.
Enhanced Convenience Pkg.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TSC1969's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TSC1969 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TSC1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 02:40 PM   #3
Household6
Household6 has a spectacular aura aboutHousehold6 has a spectacular aura aboutHousehold6 has a spectacular aura about

2007 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSC1969 View Post
I'm not sure if the HID lights were affected but I would start with a call to the dealer to see if the headlight recall was completed. Also, I think there is a website you can check by VIN to see if there are any open recalls for your vehicle. Sorry, I do not recall the website.
From what I read, the recall expired in 2013. I know there's a recall on it for the back hatch I need to take care of. Nothing else showed up.
Thanks for the reply!

2007 Outlook XR AWD
Fully Loaded

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Household6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-16-2017, 06:27 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Are you sure your profile is correct, 1997 Outlook XR?

One way to know if yours has HID lights - your owner's manual. Unless owners here can tell you whether or not '07's have HID or plain halogen lights, there is a simple way to know; remove the low beam lamp; https://www.etrailer.com/tv-install-...k-vx-lh11.aspx. The video shows halogen lamps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Outlook headlight assembly.jpg (89.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg halogen lams.jpg (54.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg HID lamps.jpg (72.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg GM HID lamps.jpg (66.7 KB, 7 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 03:03 PM   #5
Household6

2007 Outlook XR

[QUOTE=fdryer;2232998]Are you sure your profile is correct, 1997 Outlook XR?

1997?! I'm sure that's NOT correct. Signature seems to shows 2007. I'll double check my profile. Thanks for the heads up!

2007 Outlook XR AWD
Fully Loaded

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-17-2017, 03:27 PM   #6
Household6

2007 Outlook XR

It has the HID headlights.

And more good news - last night it was the opposite side flickering.

What I'm gathering is that the halogens have a wiring harness issue.
The HID has a ballast issue.

Dealer says HID's are $300 to replace. Ballast is add'l $250.
That's $1000 for both!

In the name of money, because we just bought the car, paid cash and cash is a bit tight right now, I considered going from HID to halogen (which, evidently can't be done without making a mess out of "how to operate.")

So:
1. how do I know if it's the bulb, ballast, or both that need replacing?

2. Anything else I need to check that may be the issue?

3. Any specific suggestions on where to buy such (other than eBay).

4. Is there one replacemt bulb or ballast brand and/or model that's superior, but more cost effective.

5. One of the yellow lamps is also out (presumably daytime running lamp). No flicker or flash - completely dead. Is this also going to be a HID bulb?

Thank you!

2007 Outlook XR AWD
Fully Loaded

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-17-2017, 05:01 PM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I'm not completely familiar with Outlooks and going by info found. Halogen lamps are what I found, including procedures in the link I posted. However, if yours are hid lamps, are they the ones shown? GM hid lamps, at least one type, have the lamp and ballast as a one piece plug n' play unit. The ballast, shown in the previous reply, is the silver metal box behind the long glass lamp. I don't know if GM makes other types of hid's in other configurations. You'll have to examine your lamps and determine if wiring is an issue. As it is, whether halogen or hid lights, they have a finite life and don't last forever. If it's not wiring, the lamps are probably worn out. To be sure it isn't wiring, you'll have to manually turn on headlights, disconnect each light and measure the connections for 12v power; access to wiring diagrams are either provided here from members, http://workshop-manuals.com (free) or subscribing to alldata or Mitchell for service manuals.

As to searching for replacement parts, GM is not the only source as they're likely to pad a bill as part of "It's nothing personal, it's all business" since every dealer has higher overhead costs compared to shopping online for the same part or equivalent aftermarket replacement. In addition to GM online, rockauto and other auto parts distributors are competitively priced to either match or beat dealer retail prices. Your choice.

Converting from one type of lighting to another may present issues. In general, halogen lighting uses either reflector (you can see the lamps) or projector light housings. You cannot see lamps in projector light housings and light housings are smaller in diameter than reflector light housings due to the intense light output and custom designed optics to throw light farther without blinding opposing traffic. A metal cutoff plate inside low beam projector housings cutoff the upper beam that simply blinds everyone without this cutoff plate - it would simply be a high beam. Other considerations may be with whether or not low beams are used as daytime running lights (DRL's), using a resistor or wired in series for drl use but revert to parallel wiring for night time lighting. GM has several methods and each one is uniquely wired differently. Conversions are either easy or difficult. At the least, hid lights cannot be used in reflector light housings because housings lack the cutoff plate and create a high beam light to blind everyone. Ignorance of these facts resulted in many poorly retrofitted low beam lights blinding opposing traffic. The serious diyer already knows this and buys projector light housings, cracks open the stock housings and custom fits projectors for hid lights. Most, if not all, aftermarket hid lights have a separate ballast box mounted somewhere nearby.

You would be wise to verify which lights are used by accessing your headlights and determine whether or not yours is halogen or hid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-17-2017, 11:14 PM   #8
Household6

2007 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
I'm not completely familiar with Outlooks and going by info found. Halogen lamps are what I found, including procedures in the link I posted. However, if yours are hid lamps, are they the ones shown? GM hid lamps, at least one type, have the lamp and ballast as a one piece plug n' play unit. The ballast, shown in the previous reply, is the silver metal box behind the long glass lamp. I don't know if GM makes other types of hid's in other configurations. You'll have to examine your lamps and determine if wiring is an issue. As it is, whether halogen or hid lights, they have a finite life and don't last forever. If it's not wiring, the lamps are probably worn out. To be sure it isn't wiring, you'll have to manually turn on headlights, disconnect each light and measure the connections for 12v power; access to wiring diagrams are either provided here from members, (free) or subscribing to alldata or Mitchell for service manuals.

As to searching for replacement parts, GM is not the only source as they're likely to pad a bill as part of "It's nothing personal, it's all business" since every dealer has higher overhead costs compared to shopping online for the same part or equivalent aftermarket replacement. In addition to GM online, rockauto and other auto parts distributors are competitively priced to either match or beat dealer retail prices. Your choice.

Converting from one type of lighting to another may present issues. In general, halogen lighting uses either reflector (you can see the lamps) or projector light housings. You cannot see lamps in projector light housings and light housings are smaller in diameter than reflector light housings due to the intense light output and custom designed optics to throw light farther without blinding opposing traffic. A metal cutoff plate inside low beam projector housings cutoff the upper beam that simply blinds everyone without this cutoff plate - it would simply be a high beam. Other considerations may be with whether or not low beams are used as daytime running lights (DRL's), using a resistor or wired in series for drl use but revert to parallel wiring for night time lighting. GM has several methods and each one is uniquely wired differently. Conversions are either easy or difficult. At the least, hid lights cannot be used in reflector light housings because housings lack the cutoff plate and create a high beam light to blind everyone. Ignorance of these facts resulted in many poorly retrofitted low beam lights blinding opposing traffic. The serious diyer already knows this and buys projector light housings, cracks open the stock housings and custom fits projectors for hid lights. Most, if not all, aftermarket hid lights have a separate ballast box mounted somewhere nearby.

You would be wise to verify which lights are used by accessing your headlights and determine whether or not yours is halogen or hid.

@fdryer, WOW! Thank you for the link to the wiring diagrams. I poked around a bit and I could easily be consumed on that site for DAYS! Love that sort of stuff!

The TSB I found on the lights from your link specifically states the concern is just for the halogen bulbs. So hopes are high I don't have to worry about the wiring harness.

My statement that the lights on my Outlook are HID was info provided to me by our local Chevy dealer. I gave them the VIN and they pulled up the specs of the vehicle, then gave me their pricing. (Even with my parts discount (father is a GM retiree) I'm not fool enough to to get anything from a dealer that isn't mandatory.)

For future reference for anyone else wondering, I THINK the HID lamp includes the silver box shown in your picture. The ballast is more like a silver flat plate/box. (Pics 1 & 2).

The third picture is a screenshot from a YouTube video. (Video is of an Acadia HID replacement - attaching link, important part begins around 4:40.) The ballast placement is circled in red.

After being armed with this info, I feel a bit more confident about ripping into her tomorrow. I'll follow up with what I find. (Fingers crossed for no wiring issues!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2272.JPG (96.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2271.JPG (102.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2270.JPG (60.6 KB, 3 views)

2007 Outlook XR AWD
Fully Loaded

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-17-2017, 11:21 PM   #9
Household6

2007 Outlook XR

Unfortunately, I'm not yet allowed to provide a link to the video. But anyone curious can do a search on YouTube for 'How to install replace outer Hi Low HID headlight bulb GMC Acadia 1A Auto Parts' and find it.

2007 Outlook XR AWD
Fully Loaded

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-18-2017, 11:18 AM   #10
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I'm not sure how you're getting correct or incorrect info. On one hand I was able to find a specific link to a video describing procedures to replace a) halogen lamps in a b) 2007 Outlook (post#4). You're stating using a video to Acadias to replace hid lamps......in Acadias.

I would use either video to start the process of revealing what your Outlook has to verify one or the other.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-18-2017, 05:57 PM   #11
Household6

2007 Outlook XR

Pardon?
I do hope I've misinterpreted the tone of your response.
What am I not being clear on?

The 2007 Saturn Outlook XR AWD I purchased a week ago has headlight issues. Wanted to know how to ID halogen versus HID. Figured out to call the dealer and ask them to identify by the VIN. I did. Still could be wrong I suppose. But they weren't.

Vehicle DOES have HID headlights. NOT halogen headlights. Knowing the Saturn and Acadia are the same vehicle, I was in search of info on OEM HID's. I couldn't find a video on how to remove HID's on Saturns. If you can, by all means, please help others out. I venture to guess there's far more of a difference in Halogen versus HID than there is in Acadia versus Saturn.

But, at your insistence, here ya go. Two (seemingly) OEM HID bulbs that I just removed from the vehicle. The yellow bulb light (and the arm it came out of) is the light that's just outside the HID's and comes on with the running lights. Does NOT appear to be HID.

Want to see the ballast? I can show you just one. Can't yet get the 2nd out of the passenger side as there's some sort of bar in the way of the 3rd screw. (FRUSTRSTING!) and it's a T6 screw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2281.jpg (107.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2282.jpg (168.4 KB, 2 views)

2007 Outlook XR AWD
Fully Loaded

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-18-2017, 08:10 PM   #12
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I completely understand your predicament and merely wanted to point out the differences between halogen and hid lamps. And thank you for clarifying (posting hid low beam lamps, not halogens). The smaller yellow bulb is a plain incandescent type. Whether or not the ballasts are faulty is the next step in troubleshooting. I do not know at the moment how to determine a faulty hid lamp or ballast. Apparently, Outlooks made available two lighting options, the video link showing halogens and yours with hids. With confusion comes uncertainty about dealer misrepresentation as these forums reported less than honest GM dealers. While I can understand your GM dealer stated yours came with HID low beam lights, I take a sceptical view until shown. I never assume different GM models carry over/share parts until proven. Yes, I've read and seen shared parts in various GM models.

I've toyed with the idea of switching my low beam halogen lights to HID but L300's use low beams for DRLs with a dropping resistor to reduce current/prolong lamp longevity. The resistor interferes with full voltage and current demands of HID lights. Since GM originally debuted daytime running lights in the USA, my L300 was my introduction to DRLs and I became fond of its ability to make opposing drivers aware of my presence. Since mine uses low beams for DRLs, night time lighting switches off the resistor to supply full power to each low beam. Long story short, after replacing low beams with Sylvania's UltraStar halogens, they lasted about three years and I decided to use HID's. They are plug n' play only because L300's use projector light housings with a metal cutoff plate inside to eliminate the upper beam (without it renders it simply as a high beam light and blind opposing traffic). All I had to do was install the HID kit, connect all premade connectors in correct polarity, make room for ballasts and bypass the resistor. I now have three times more light over stock low beams without the blinding glare when HID's are mistakenly put into non projector light housings, known as reflectors (creating a high beam light in low beams). Being conservative, I chose 35 watt HID lamps (stock halogens are 55W). 55W HID's output approximately 4X more light than halogens. Unfortunately, I thought I retained DRL's but sophisticated electronics is smarter than I am - DRL's do not light these HID's. I can manually turn on headlights or leave in auto lighting mode to turn on driving/headlights at night. Just no DRL's. I'm in the process of studying the wiring and technical explanation of daytime running lights but service manuals leave out detailed info so I'm left to search for more info to see if I can retain daytime running lights. I don't mind using these HID's in daytime and shortening their life if it allows avoidance of oncoming traffic wandering across the double yellow lines. The replacement costs for these hid lamps are very competitive to halogens. As you may know, I will eventually run into your problem a few years from now when either the ballasts or lamps fail and will have to determine which one failed.

The only suggestion I have at present for troubleshooting either a ballast or lamp failure; finding a similar vehicle model and swapping your lamp or ballast into a working HID light circuit. This way you know the other vehicle has operating HID's and you can swap your parts in one at a time to see which one failed. The only other suggestion might be Autozone or similar auto store testing ballasts and lamps. I noticed when replacing an alternator on a Nissan Sentra, the clerk in my local Autozone pulled open a drawer filled with custom wire harnesses to fit most alternators for bench testing. Impressed with Autozone's ability to bench test alternators and loan tools, I wonder if they can test HID ballasts and lamps.

Last edited by fdryer; 02-18-2017 at 08:16 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-19-2017, 01:59 PM   #13
Household6

2007 Outlook XR

Post 9, 1st sentence stated they are HID's. :-)

Regarding them being HID Low beams, evidently they're what's referred to as a HID HI/Low bulb as both regular and bright light usage comes from this single bulb.

For future reference as to identifying OEM factory HID's, I was also able to "hear" the lights doing some sort of adjusting when I turned on the brights. (Not sure if halogens do this, but I wouldn't think so.

Another tidbit I found regarding the actual bulb in the webs:

"The tube is filled with both gas and metal salts. The gas facilitates the arc's initial strike. Once the arc is started, it heats and evaporates the metal salts forming a plasma, which greatly increases the intensity of light produced by the arc and reduces its power consumption."

"Factors of wear come mostly from on/off cycles versus the total on time. The highest wear occurs when the HID burner is ignited while still hot and before the metallic salts have recrystallized. At the end of life, many types of high-intensity discharge lamps exhibit a phenomenon known as cycling. These lamps can be started at a relatively low voltage. As they heat up during operation, however, the internal gas pressure within the arc tube rises and a higher voltage is required to maintain the arc discharge. As a lamp gets older, the voltage necessary to maintain the arc eventually rises to exceed the voltage provided by the electrical ballast. As the lamp heats to this point, the arc fails and the lamp goes out. Eventually, with the arc extinguished, the lamp cools down again, the gas pressure in the arc tube is reduced, and the ballast can once again cause the arc to strike. The effect of this is that the lamp glows for a while and then goes out, repeatedly."

The last sentence in the quote being what I sincerely hope is going on.

Bottom line for anyone else in my predicament is that, once you've pulled out the bulb do the best you can to visually inspect the wiring, mainly near the connectors, and look for melted or frayed wiring. If this exisists, you will need to replace the entire wiring harness. (Keep the bulbs and ballasts currently in use as they likely are ok, and worth waiting due to the added expense.)

Then, as suggested by previous post, only absolute way of testing bulbs and ballast is to find someone else with properly functioning factory OEM HID's, and ask if they will run your bulb for a bit of night driving (in my case around 30 - 45 minutes) and chance getting a ticket. (This would surely make them a good friend!) Then do the same for the ballast.

Could take the parts to Autozone or such for testing, but considering my bulbs do not start the process until it gets warmed up, I'm not sure this would produce a faulty reading during a 10 second test.

Next option is to replace the bulb (highest quality you can get your hands on - it makes a difference) and see how things go. In case you're wondering, the silver box on the bulb is called the "igniter." (May be a way to purchase bulb only and insert into ignitor, but I'm not willing to spend the time or chance it.) If there are still issues, time to change out the ballast.

I've done some extensive researching trying not to have to shell out full price on the ballast. Seen everywhere from $250 for used to $700 for new. This leads me to believe the dealership may be the best place to go.

I'll follow up with our results.

2007 Outlook XR AWD
Fully Loaded

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-19-2017, 08:50 PM   #14
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Thank you for an informative update on various issues about HID's. I am aware of Euro style high/low beams where the projector light housing has a movable metal cutoff plate inside the housing. This is probably the noise you hear when flipping from low to high beam and back in a dual use projector light, two instead of four headlights. A solenoid is used to move the cutoff plate into the beam; when upright, the upper half of the projected light is cut off for low beam driving. This prevents blinding opposing traffic. When switched to high beam, the cutoff plate is lowered and full light output is seen - high beams. I wasn't aware of GM models using this technology and you're the first here to inform us. I'm impressed because I believe these dual lights are adapted from European lighting. As you may well know, USA headlight standards were way behind advances in lighting with Europe readily adopting HID lighting and daytime running lights long before (outdated) US headlight standards were finally abandoned. This is in reference to the old sealed beam low and high beams in 5" or 7" round and square headlights.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dual high-low beam HID configuration.jpg (98.5 KB, 3 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-25-2017, 03:38 PM   #15
Household6

2007 Outlook XR

Leave it to me to take the path unpaved! <ug!>

Being the first to reference the type of HID setup makes me wonder if I am informing, or am I discovering I have some type of conversion kit on the vehicle? Which leads to the question: why would one prefer a different type of HID setup than what Saturn provided from factory? Now I'm intrigued!

Whatever the case, I have further information and, thus far, a happy ending.

First, I'd suggest to anyone else who needs to change the bulbs (and especially if you believe you may need to change the ballast!) to save yourself time and a lot of frustration, go ahead and remove the wheels. (Removing the entire wheel well shield I don't believe is completely necessary, but I suspect the time required to remove and reattach would also be worth it.)

Here are some pics that will hopefully help those trying to decide if their HID bulbs are bad.

2007 Outlook XR AWD
Fully Loaded

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-25-2017, 03:55 PM   #16
Household6

2007 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Household6 View Post
Leave it to me to take the path unpaved! <ug!>

Being the first to reference the type of HID setup makes me wonder if I am informing, or am I discovering I have some type of conversion kit on the vehicle? Which leads to the question: why would one prefer a different type of HID setup than what Saturn provided from factory? Now I'm intrigued!

Whatever the case, I have further information and, thus far, a happy ending.

First, I'd suggest to anyone else who needs to change the bulbs (and especially if you believe you may need to change the ballast!) to save yourself time and a lot of frustration, go ahead and remove the wheels. (Removing the entire wheel well shield I don't believe is completely necessary, but I suspect the time required to remove and reattach would also be worth it.)

Here are some pics that will hopefully help those trying to decide if their HID bulbs are bad.
The first pic shows 3 bulbs lined up with the port facing one direction. The two bulbs closest to the top of the picture are the ones that were removed from my Outlook. The bulb closest is new one purchased from nearby Advance Auto parts store. (OEM Bulb part number D1S).

Looking at the old bulbs prior to having the new one to compare to, nothing looked odd. However, once I had the new ones, it was easy to see the, albeit slight, difference. Note the bubble in the two old bulbs have a dark ring around it. The new one does not. You'll also notice in the closeup pictures provided the dark spots present in the middle of the bulb. The new bulb doesn't have this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2433.jpg (214.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2436.jpg (214.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2435.jpg (205.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2434.jpg (209.5 KB, 1 views)

2007 Outlook XR AWD
Fully Loaded

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-25-2017, 04:02 PM   #17
Household6

2007 Outlook XR

For a different vantage point, here's another group of pictures with the plugs all facing a different (but same) direction.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2437.jpg (208.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2438.jpg (119.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2439.jpg (132.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2440.jpg (106.8 KB, 1 views)

2007 Outlook XR AWD
Fully Loaded

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-25-2017, 04:34 PM   #18
Household6

2007 Outlook XR

As many other resources reported, I'd find it wise to go ahead and replace both HID bulbs at the same time. But if you are unable to do both at once, get the flickering or malfunctioning bulb replaced QUICKLY!

What I experienced was that within 30 or so miles of the first bulb flickering, the second one started doing it too. This very well could have left me in a pickle with NO headlights. The saving grace was that I was able to "play with" the headlight control knob to get the lights to come back on, until they heated up again and would go out. I would not recommend doing this any more times than you have to as it eventually causes the ballast to bad (then you're in it for about $800 to replace the ballast (around $300 each) and bulb ($100 ea), not to mention the ballasts are likely at least 3 days away due to having to order them and have them shipped to you (I was unable to find them locally in stock) plus they are a PITA to replace!

Regarding replacing the ballasts, each one is attached by THREE screws (the 3rd is on the side facing the grill of the car and you can't see it. You have to merely feel for it. Also, the screw on the side closest to the engine is very hard to undo. You must have a very short screw driver so you can clear other parts (the horn maybe?) to turn the screwdriver.

Another issue I ran into was that when I went to put the ballast back in, the wires coming from the wiring harness were extremely short. Because I was doing this in temps around 55 degrees, I grabbed my hairdryer and heated up the area where the wires were and was gently pulling the wires (not the connectors) so that it would stretch just a wee bit at a time. It worked! I eventually had enough of a lead to get the 2 plugs (side by side going into the ballast) all the way in.

I never even got the ballast out on the passenger side as it requires a support bar to be removed. I wasn't ready to go to those lengths yet.

Finally had the opportunity to drive the car around last night for an hour or so. I'm ELATED to share that there was no flickering from either side.

So, there you have it - my experience and recommendations on what to do if the supposedly factory OEM HID head lights are flickering on your Outlook (mine is a 2007 XT AWD).

2007 Outlook XR AWD
Fully Loaded

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-25-2017, 04:44 PM   #19
Household6

2007 Outlook XR

Sorry - I keep thinking of "just one more thing."

I was able to get the bulbs from Advance Auto for $60 and $70 each by using a coupon I found online. 40% off one full priced item over $100 when bought online and 30% off an online order over $100. I placed the orders at home and used the pickup in store (30 minutes later) option.

You can't use 2 coupons in one order and because you can't use the same coupon twice on one account I placed two different orders. I also had to add a "filler item" to each order to reach the $100 mark. Sort of a pain, but saving $70 off two bulbs was worth it for me.

2007 Outlook XR AWD
Fully Loaded

REWARD EXCELLENCE!