SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2017, 01:28 PM   #1
therehere3
therehere3 is on a distinguished road

Default 2002 SL2 Won't Start & New Radio???

Hey guys!
So... I've been have this weird intermittent problem with my 2002 Saturn SL2...

I have just correctly installed an aftermarket radio to my car and the radio works wonders. However, now I've been having some problems starting the car sometimes (sometimes it will start perfectly).

I thought it was my battery going bad (since the battery was like 12yrs old already; so I have a BRAND NEW battery....

So whenever I go turn the key to try and start the car, (intermittently) most of the times it will work and crank and start with ease. Other times, I will try and turn it and literally NOTHING will happen... The dash lights will go alittle dim when try to start the car, however, not even a click from the starter nor any noise at all to start the engine...

Any ideas what this can be?? I need this fixed ASAP, because I am tired of getting stranded at places for hours before starting my car...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to therehere3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help therehere3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
therehere3 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2017, 01:44 PM   #2
SC2Sick
Advanced Member
SC2Sick will become famous soon enough

1997 SC2
1995 SW2
Default Re: 2002 SL2 Won't Start & New Radio???

I'd start by following your negative terminal to where it grounds both on the engine and the frame side to ensure you have good connection. Sometimes the wires will start to work their way out of the crimps over the decade with all the vibrations.

Sounds like when mine was doing that.

sixthsphere.com owner
1997 Saturn SC2 Turbo
sixthsphere.com/showthread.php/89737

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SC2Sick's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SC2Sick reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SC2Sick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 01:56 PM   #3
therehere3
therehere3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2Sick View Post
I'd start by following your negative terminal to where it grounds both on the engine and the frame side to ensure you have good connection. Sometimes the wires will start to work their way out of the crimps over the decade with all the vibrations.

Sounds like when mine was doing that.
Yeeeah unfortunately those are extremely tight on there clamped down good.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to therehere3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help therehere3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
therehere3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 02:25 PM   #4
trottida
trottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of light

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Was this problem there before you installed the new radio?

Manual or automatic transmission? Could be the manual transmission clutch safety switch or the automatic transmission neutral safety switch. The CSS is located on the floor where the clutch pedal touches and the NSS is located in the console shift mechanism and joined to the ignition with a cable. Both cut power to the starter and would cause the condition you describe. You can bypass the CSS by disconnecting the connector and jumping the circuit on the wire harness side. For the NSS try shifting the shifter a couple times to complete the circuit.

You could also have a dead spot within your starter brushes. When it is in this state try tapping the starter with a block of wood. Sometimes that is enough to get you going and if it works then you should consider replacing your starter.

Current rides
2001 SL1 MT (410,500 km @ 11/2017)
1999 SL2 MT (251,500 km @ 11/2017)
2011 Suburban LT (101,450 km @ 11/2017)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 03:12 PM   #5
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to all

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 SL2

You said that you have this intermittent issue and sometime when you put the key in turn the ignition to start you get nothing. What happens next between doing that and it finally starting?

Another poster remarked that you could have a flat spot on the starter. I had that once some years ago. Took ages to find it was that. How old is the starter?

You may want to check all wiring and connections from the battery to the starter for integrity. A bad lead and you won't get power to the starter and no start. Check earths as well.

I don;t think the start condition and the new radio are connected. But if you think it might, then simply disconnect the radio to take it out the equation and see what happens.

Hope this helps

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 03:41 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

The Park/Neutral or clutch safety switch disable the starting circuit if Park or Neutral aren't selected (automatic) or the clutch pedal isn't pressed. Try shifting to neutral and starting. If not, what's mileage on this car and is this the original starter? If original, it may be worn out and announcing its demise. If you're not afraid to get dirty, bang the starter a few times with a piece of 2x4 lumber - this may get the starter to run again, a sure sign of a worn out starter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote