SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2007, 12:11 PM   #1
Jaseball
Master Member
Jaseball will become famous soon enough

Default Dent Resistant Panels? Doh!

I'm wondering how many people have gone in and either accidentally or with malice kicked in a door panel on a new steel Saturn?

What would a dealer do if a customer went in there and sent a knee into a door and dented it? I mean, how many times was whacking a door panel with a hammer or hitting the showroom models part of a salesman's demo?

I'm not suggesting anyone do this, but with the past advertising and the new models out there in steel this has to have happened at least a few times.

Any good stories to share?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jaseball's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jaseball reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2007, 12:37 PM   #2
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan
Default Re: Dent Resistant Panels? Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaseball View Post
I'm wondering how many people have gone in and either accidentally or with malice kicked in a door panel on a new steel Saturn?

What would a dealer do if a customer went in there and sent a knee into a door and dented it? I mean, how many times was whacking a door panel with a hammer or hitting the showroom models part of a salesman's demo?

Any good stories to share?
You wouldn't be able to dent a new Saturn with your knee.
maybe a hammer but that would damage a polymer Saturn too.

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 01:00 PM   #3
saturn_69
Master Member
saturn_69 will become famous soon enough

Only a dork would go into a car dealer - polymer panels or no - and purposely pound on a car. Even with polymer you could get paint damage or a cracked panel. Great. Another one of 'those' threads.

"That government is best which governs not at all; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have" - H.D. Thoreau

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn_69's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn_69 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturn_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 01:07 PM   #4
Jaseball
Master Member
Jaseball will become famous soon enough

I guarantee you I can dent a door panel with a knee.

Don't read into the thread as a negative. I just thought with the focus on dent resistance for all those years it is pretty likely a few people have tried this with the new models.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jaseball's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jaseball reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 01:23 PM   #5
saturn_69
Master Member

Quote:

Don't read into the thread as a negative. I just thought with the focus on dent resistance for all those years it is pretty likely a few people have tried this with the new models.
I'll admit, I've worried about that happening.

"That government is best which governs not at all; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have" - H.D. Thoreau

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help saturn_69 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-17-2007, 01:29 PM   #6
saturnjohnny
saturnjohnny is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2

Quote:

doors are well supported behind, just like the polymer ones were, and i dout that people are going to try that, as late as the ION, salespoeple still did the stupid door panel demo and 90% of customers never knew. so, little chance of someone trying it now.
so very soon and polymer will be a distant memory. you'll be w/ your friends going, 'hey, remember those plastic cars? named after a planet or something? yeah, NEPTUNES! yeah, they sucked!'

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnjohnny's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnjohnny reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 03:21 PM   #7
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

I'll miss the polymer! Grocery shopping is now a stressfull experience. I hate leaving my new Subaru in the parking lot. There are *($^&@# shopping carts everywhere, and people are too damn lazy and inconsiderate to move them into the cart return area.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTHokie00SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 03:44 PM   #8
saturn_69
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokie00SL2 View Post
I'll miss the polymer! Grocery shopping is now a stressfull experience. I hate leaving my new Subaru in the parking lot. There are *($^&@# shopping carts everywhere, and people are too damn lazy and inconsiderate to move them into the cart return area.
How do you sleep at night? You must have cajones the size of watermelons to be able to even step off the porch in the morning.

Park away from the building, let the idiots park up close. Heck, I have a polymer-clad Ion and I still park far away from the place I'm going into.

I know your parents' Accord has dings. That's because Honda uses really thin steel on the outer panels of their cars that way, the panels that weigh the most are used for crash structure and vehicle strength whereas the 'cosmetic' skin of the car is thinner so as not to add too much weight. GM should learn that trick, might help. It's kinda like the way the S-series were built; you have your strong structural steel making up the 'spaceframe' and the the thinner, cosmetic steel forming the 'skin' like the polymer panels. Your Subaru is made of stronger stuff, I wouldn't worry too much.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-17-2007, 08:12 PM   #9
beanheadz
beanheadz is on a distinguished road

"Stupid door panel demo"...Mmmm,,,frankly nothing stupid about it!
How is it stupid to show a customer how dent-resistant a car is??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to beanheadz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help beanheadz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
beanheadz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 09:49 PM   #10
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

DO NOT TRY IT IN THE COLD!!!

I know a salesman that put his foot through the door!

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 10:00 PM   #11
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturn_69 View Post
Only a dork would go into a car dealer - polymer panels or no - and purposely pound on a car. Even with polymer you could get paint damage or a cracked panel. Great. Another one of 'those' threads.
Saturn retailers used to keep a door panel in the showroom for folks to step on and kick and so on. No damage other than some scratched from people getting carried away. at Homecoming (1994) one of the tents had a walkway with door panels for us to step on. It was entertaining watching folks jump up and down on them.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 09:10 AM   #12
saturn_69
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRic 02sc2 View Post
Saturn retailers used to keep a door panel in the showroom for folks to step on and kick and so on. No damage other than some scratched from people getting carried away. at Homecoming (1994) one of the tents had a walkway with door panels for us to step on. It was entertaining watching folks jump up and down on them.
Oh I remember that, really, I was just saying that no one is going to nonchalantly walk into a Saturn retailer and start pounding on a car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-21-2007, 07:31 PM   #13
APE992
APE992 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

You people don't make me feel any better, my 96 Sl2 was the floor model at the Fairfield, CA showroom at the time. Which is why it has all the good optional stuff aside from sunroof and cd player.

I'd hate to find out what they did to the poor thing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to APE992's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help APE992 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
APE992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 09:54 PM   #14
robertburns3
robertburns3 is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

When I used to sell Saturns, I we demonstrated the plastic panels by hitting it with a fist, (not knuckles) instead of running the risk of scratching the paint with a shoe.

If you hit it just a little too hard, you would hit the impact door beam....ouch.

Former Saturn salesperson...love the cars, hated the boss.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to robertburns3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help robertburns3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
robertburns3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 05:08 PM   #15
SaturnPlanet
SaturnPlanet is on a distinguished road

In my years with Saturn, I'd say mentioning the dent resistant panels was more of a 'surprise and delight' feature, and represented about 1% of the vehicle walk-around. Maybe its the market I work in, but the dent resistant panels have never been a big issue.

my $.02

We know more about what is less than ourselves, and less about what is more than ourselves.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnPlanet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnPlanet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnPlanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 12:22 AM   #16
Danc922
Danc922 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL1
1999 SL2

I demonstrate the dent resistant panels most of the time on the Saturns that have them. I usually bang on them pretty hard with my fist, and it usually gets a very surprised response. I've just been sure to tell any new consultants that are new to Saturn that the newer model Saturns don't have the dent resistant panels, so don't go banging on them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Danc922's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Danc922 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Danc922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 03:24 AM   #17
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokie00SL2 View Post
VTHokie00SL2 - Whoa... Did I miss something? You finally bought the Subaru Legacy you've been looking at?

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 03:14 PM   #18
SaturnManiac
Master Member
SaturnManiac is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by APE992 View Post
You people don't make me feel any better, my 96 Sl2 was the floor model at the Fairfield, CA showroom at the time. Which is why it has all the good optional stuff aside from sunroof and cd player.

I'd hate to find out what they did to the poor thing.
Beat the crap out of it! But I'm sure my former rental car (my 2000 SL2) has had a worse life...I'm sure everyone that rented it and knew Saturns had polymer panels probably tried to dent it. And someone equivalent to a dogturd blew his engine in the past too (I got him with a different engine). If I found the fool that blew the engine I'd probably test the dent resistence of their skull, LOL.

Anyways, I've wanted to see a salesman accidentally dent a non-polymer Saturn, because I would just find that hilarious.

R.I.P. - My 1996 Saturn SL2, "Psycho" - 7/95-2/17/06

R.I.P. - My 2000 Saturn SL2, "Sexy" - 11/24/99-8/05/08

If you're a car begging for your life, wouldn't you want someone to add fluids?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnManiac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnManiac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 04:20 PM   #19
2000sl1blue
2000sl1blue has a spectacular aura about2000sl1blue has a spectacular aura about2000sl1blue has a spectacular aura about

2000 SL1
2007 SKY Red Line

Can these panels be fixed? I found out a bit ago that they are not dent proof.. my rear door nicked something while turning and has a minor line indent now..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2000sl1blue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2000sl1blue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2000sl1blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 05:57 PM   #20
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

The plastic front fenders and door panels were, to the best of my knowledge, never called "dent proof." They were described as dent resistant. According to the FSM I own, the answer is yes. Next, it would depend upon the knowledge and skill of the one performing the repair (if that person was out there to be found).

273,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote