SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2017, 09:45 PM   #1
mike1161
mike1161 is a glorious beacon of lightmike1161 is a glorious beacon of lightmike1161 is a glorious beacon of lightmike1161 is a glorious beacon of lightmike1161 is a glorious beacon of lightmike1161 is a glorious beacon of light

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2007 Outlook XR
Default Fuel tank leak?

I've had a code P0449 set for some time now (Canister Vent Solenoid), which supposedly is somewhere on or near the fuel tank. Well today I thought I would get underneath the Outlook and see if I could find the Canister Vent Solenoid, since I haven't had much luck trying to locate any info on.
As soon as I got underneath I smelled gas. Hadn't even driven it today. I see a wet spot on the driveway and can see it's leaking from the gas tank, near the front of the vehicle. Took a few photos (attached). Gas tank was about 7/8 full when this is happening. It was leaking very slow at that point. Later in the day we drove it for a 10 mile trip, and after parking again I looked under and the gas was really dripping fast. Seems like it's coming from the topside of the tank and then dripping down. Any ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017-01-08 15.24.49.jpg (91.3 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 2017-01-08 15.25.03.jpg (199.6 KB, 21 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mike1161's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mike1161 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mike1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2017, 02:53 AM   #2
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Fuel tank leak?

Where is the fuel pump located in relation to where this leak is coming from? How close, or far away, is the fuel fill hose? Are there any fuel hoses nearby?

273,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 05:30 AM   #3
mike1161
mike1161 is a glorious beacon of lightmike1161 is a glorious beacon of lightmike1161 is a glorious beacon of lightmike1161 is a glorious beacon of lightmike1161 is a glorious beacon of lightmike1161 is a glorious beacon of light

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2007 Outlook XR

Not sure about the fuel pump location, I'll do some more searching today to see if I can find a diagram. But one of the fuel lines you can see in the photos, at the upper left hand side - it has the little orange tag wrapped around it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help mike1161 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-09-2017, 07:36 PM   #4
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

My reason for asking about the fuel pump in particular is that there have been well known problems with L Series fuel pump where the nipples had cracked resulting in fuel leaks. In no way am I suggesting that I know where your problem exists. I don't. It's merely to point out a possibility since the fuel pump on the Outlook has the same kind of plastic nipples on their fuel pumps.

273,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:35 AM   #5
mike1161

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2007 Outlook XR

Thanks, thats a good suggestion. I didn't drive it all day yesterday, and it seems like no leaking. But I took it for a short drive last night, and it did leak then. Seems like it's leaking from one of the upper hoses or fittings above the tank (near the front), then running down the outside of the tank. Seems like it only does it when there is some pressure in the lines. I did find a diagram of the tank and parts, looks like the fuel pump itself is submerged inside the tank (typical design). I may have to wait until the tank is more empty to try to lower it to see if I can find which fitting is leaking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 07 Outlook fuel tank.JPG (80.2 KB, 18 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-22-2017, 10:08 PM   #6
mike1161

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2007 Outlook XR

Well, got it all figured out today. You won't believe the cause of the leak! Dropped the tank partially by removing the front 2 straps, and then got underneath and had my wife just turn the key to pressurize the fuel system, and I see a fine mist of fuel spray coming out from somewhere on top of the tank. So since I had driven it until it was almost out of gas, I then completely removed the tank. I found the main fuel feed line from the fuel pump to the motor (which is a plastic line) had some type of hole in it. So I inspected it closer with a magnifying glass, and guess what? Teeth marks! I have been seeing some squirrels fooling around under it for a while, so it looks like one of them chewed through it. I guess they quit as soon as the pressurized fuel sprayed out of the line. Anyway, while I'm at it, I'm going to replace the Canister Vent Solenoid, which is the cause of the code P0449. You can't get to that either unless you completely remove the tank. See photos below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017-01-22 15.56.08.jpg (160.5 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 2017-01-22 15.51.01.jpg (157.8 KB, 19 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-23-2017, 11:12 AM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If I'm not mistaken, those fuel lines are nylon, slit lengthwise where connected, for easier removal from barbed fittings. Service manuals describes using a heat gun to warm nylon making them pliable.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 08:55 AM   #8
mike1161

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2007 Outlook XR

They do seem to be nylon, with some type of retainer clip. My local GM parts guy said he couldn't find the fuel line (PN25895332) anywhere, not even using his locator system to search other dealers. I did an internet search, and did find a place that said they had it, but then they later called me back and said it's back-ordered, with no ECD. The guy said that usually means no longer available at all. Bottom line, I've searched high & low, and this part is nowhere to be found. And it was listed for right around $100 bucks.
So it looks like I'm going to be saving $100 bucks. I got a 4 ft. length of 3/8" ID generic fuel hose at my local auto parts store (which fits perfectly over both the fuel pump fitting and the metal line that runs up to the engine bay), and some stainless steel band clamps. As soon as the other parts come tomorrow (the Canister Vent Solenoid and adapter harness), I'll put everything back together and done deal.
Strange that the factory fuel hose isn't available anywhere, especially considering it's used also on the GMC Acadia and Buick Enclave.

Last edited by mike1161; 01-30-2017 at 09:01 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-02-2017, 04:55 PM   #9
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I suspect the nylon (reinforced?) fuel line is exclusive to GM and probably comes in 25'/50' rolls for dealer use. Being rigid when in place also means not having to use band clamps on (plastic?) barbed fittings. The barbed fittings are where service manuals describe slitting the fuel line along its length to separate it from fittings. Using a heat gun to soften new lines along with motor oil allows a slip on fit and shrinkage for a leak proof repair. Parts stores sells nylon fuel line by the roll, in 5/16 and 3/8 sizes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-09-2017, 03:50 PM   #10
mike1161

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2007 Outlook XR

Got it all back together and fixed a couple of days ago. Had to use 11/32" fuel line to make it work, since the line has to be routed in the channels on top of the fuel tank or the tank can't be tightened back up again (don't ask how I know ). And the new canister vent valve fixed the code P0449. So happily, it's back on the road again!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-09-2017, 06:07 PM   #11
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

That's a major repair to something that's normally inaccessible and a pita for most of us not having a lift in our driveway or garage. Perhaps others may benefit from your experience, shared here for anyone having similar issues and reading this thread.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!