SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2017, 07:32 PM   #1
Eren09
Eren09 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
Attention 1996 Sl2 wont start

I have a 1996 sl2 that gave up on me last week. Ive searched the forum for possible solutions but none have remedied the problem. I drove the car for about 20 miles and stopped by a store. Came back to the car it wouldnt start. Had power to everything and nothing dimmed out when i turned the key. It didnt make any noise either. Now this has happend to me before and it fixed itself after a week of leaving it alone. So i called a friend to pick me because i was going to have it towed, when he suggested a jump. Wow out of no where it started. So i got the car home parked it and went to turn it off and take out the key. They key wouldnt turn pastt acc and was stuck. Luckily the key will just slide out so i didnt worry. The next day went to start it and nothing. Key was still stuck. Called my cousin over who is more mechanically inclined than me. Went to auto zone and bought a new ignition cyclinder installed it and still same thing. And the weird part was that the new cycliner was also stuck on acc after installed. My cousin then took out the cyclinder and took a long pair of needle nose pliers to turn the little knob that starts the car and nothing happend. What to i do? We were thinking about installing a push start but not sure if that will solve they problem. Oh and we had a jump starter on the battery the whole time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Eren09's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Eren09 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Eren09 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2017, 08:56 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 1996 Sl2 wont start

Dead/worn out starter? Corroded battery cables to battery and/or grounds (chassis and engine block)?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 11:39 PM   #3
Eren09
Eren09 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

No corrosion on the battery and the cables are good. Im not sure how to check the starter

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Eren09's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Eren09 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Eren09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 01:25 AM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

How old is the battery? Original starter? Car mileage?

A no start problem (no starter sounds) begins at the power source, battery. If in doubt about battery power, have it tested at any auto store selling car batteries. Since a good battery and battery cables are needed to supply power to a starter, ensuring battery, cables and their connections are clean and free of corrosion eliminates a power issue. What remains are the starting circuit and starter. Presuming the starting circuit (ignition switch sending 12v to the starter solenoid) is fine leaves the starter. Starters are never counted on to tell anyone how or when they fail. Some fail after years and high mileage while others croak in as little as 50k miles. Bench testing starters prove nothing except to show it works on a bench, not in the car. Car history, number of starts per day, mileage whether a car is used for frequent short trips or long highway drives, etc., determines when a starter may show signs of failure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote