SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2017, 07:38 PM   #1
2000sl1blue
2000sl1blue has a spectacular aura about2000sl1blue has a spectacular aura about2000sl1blue has a spectacular aura about

2000 SL1
2007 SKY Red Line
Dazed Checking for cracked head

I'm wondering what I should look for visually to determine if my head is cracked. On the bottom which meets the engine block, I see no cracking. But the head gasket did have many enlarged holes.

I'm also curious if there are supposed to be two hallow stud like things on the head, which mine has.(One on head, other on block.)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2000sl1blue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2000sl1blue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2000sl1blue is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2017, 08:29 PM   #2
97POS
97POS is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Checking for cracked head

Yes, those 'hollow stud things' are definitely supposed to be there. They're for keeping head gasket in place during installation and proper alignment of head to block during installation. They might also serve to prevent misalignment between block and head during heating and cooling expansion and contraction.

You really need to take the head to a machine shop to get pressure checked. You can do a search on the forum, but I believe the place where the SOHC heads crack is 'internal' by one of the cam journals, and it's a pretty small crack that might be hard to visually confirm without pressurization. The last time I took a head to a machine shop to get it pressure checked it was $50. You may have to remove the valves and camshaft, call the machine shop ahead of time and ask. They can do it, but it might cost extra. Wouldn't be a bad idea to get them to check the head surface for warpage while it's there, or you can do it yourself with a machinists straightedge and feeler gauges.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 97POS's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 97POS reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
97POS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 08:47 PM   #3
97POS
97POS is on a distinguished road

I just read your post about taking the camshaft sprocket off. You really need to get a Haynes manual. Yeah, they're not perfect, and a lot of guys on this forum piss on them, but the general guidance they give you is valuable. I rebuilt my first engine using one with no outside help or tech school training when I was 17.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 97POS's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 97POS reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
97POS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 10:56 PM   #4
2000sl1blue
2000sl1blue has a spectacular aura about2000sl1blue has a spectacular aura about2000sl1blue has a spectacular aura about

2000 SL1
2007 SKY Red Line

Thank you! And yes, I really should get the manual.. I always have questions and curiosities haha.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 2000sl1blue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-25-2017, 12:11 AM   #5
2000sl1blue

2000 SL1
2007 SKY Red Line

So I found this... I'm not certain it's a crack however. It may just be that oil pulled around where it curves. When cleaned off, its not visible.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-25-2017, 12:22 AM   #6
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

This thread shows where the SOHC's typically crack: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=157782

For non-S-Series I'd agree the Haynes & Chiltons is a useful book to buy...for the S-Series however there's better cheaper ways to get 250-400pgs of kindling. The 400pg (est) Chilton's manual you can't get anymore covers only '91-'98 while the 250pg (est... it's about half the size of the Chiltons) Haynes covers '91-'02. I saw 5 lug hubs and V6 engines in my S-Series Chilton's too...real confidence inspiring stuff...lol

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 08:52 AM   #7
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Machine shop for a flatness/pressure and Magnaflux check.

HOme bench testosition the head upside downand level-fill the combustion chambers with mineral spirits to see if leaks out.

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 11:28 AM   #8
SC2Sick
Advanced Member
SC2Sick will become famous soon enough

1997 SC2
1995 SW2

FWIW I have a 95 SOHC head I'd let go for almost nothing + shipping from 55101

I joke that it was dropped once, because it was. But it came off a great running engine that I was more interested in the lower end of.

sixthsphere.com owner
1997 Saturn SC2 Turbo
sixthsphere.com/showthread.php/89737

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SC2Sick's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SC2Sick reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SC2Sick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 12:03 PM   #9
magician22773
magician22773 will become famous soon enough

1997 SL
2001 SL1

This is one of those times, where IMO, there is no substitute for a professional.

Take the head to a machine shop.

I think I have had every possible experience when dealing with head gaskets ... from changing them in the pits at the dirt track with absolutely no proper prep or procedure (and having them seal just fine) ... to spending DAYS hand blocking and checking with a machinist straight edge and feeler gauges (and having them leak worse after reassembly than they were before).

But what I haven't had (yet), was a head that was professionally checked and prepped by a machine shop ever fail prematurely. In short, it is money well spent if you want to be sure the head is good, and be sure you won't be tearing everything back apart again, when you actually thought you were "done" with your project.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to magician22773's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help magician22773 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
magician22773 is offline   Reply With Quote