SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2017, 07:33 PM   #1
Duhminic
Duhminic is on a distinguished road

Default Saturn sl engine temperature

Hey guys one last question, I've replaced my ECTS and it seems to warm up faster and run a little hotter like a little above 1/4. But my question is when I'm in traffic or I stay idle for a long while the temp goes to 1/2 until I start driving again. Is this a problem? Thanks again

Saturn sl 2000 140,000 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Duhminic's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Duhminic reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Duhminic is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2017, 08:55 PM   #2
dummo
Master Member
dummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nice

1997 SW2
Default Re: Saturn sl engine temperature

Not a problem. It's natural. As you sit in traffic the needle goes as high as between 5/8 to 3/4 mark before the electric fan kicks in and the needle heads back down to just below half again. It reminds me of watching a good Pong game.
The days of your needle lingering at the 1/4 mark are over now that your ECTS has been righted.

1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
1994 SL1 new traded
1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dummo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dummo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 10:46 PM   #3
Duhminic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dummo View Post
Not a problem. It's natural. As you sit in traffic the needle goes as high as between 5/8 to 3/4 mark before the electric fan kicks in and the needle heads back down to just below half again. It reminds me of watching a good Pong game.
The days of your needle lingering at the 1/4 mark are over now that your ECTS has been righted.
Well it still lingers at 1/4 most of the time even with the new ECTS but i noticed the engine itself is a little hotter. not sure if its something else making it stay at 1/4

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Duhminic reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-15-2017, 06:50 AM   #4
underthehood
Master Member
underthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L

The ECTS does not make the engine itself "hotter" or "warm up" faster. It cannot (except one that is faulty may not turn on the fan at correct timing) but that is not was not your issue. All the ECTS does is report to the ECM what the engine coolant temp actually is and controlling the temp is the job of your thermostat.
What you're experiencing is the placebo effect. Like some people who swear their car rides smoother and quieter after you wax it.
The only thing that can really change the operating temp of your engine is the thermostat. You can do what I suggested and what I do is use an old fashioned meat thermometer or a deep fry/candy thermometer and drop that in the coolant tank. While you're doing this you can make some important observations. You can tell if and when your thermostat opens. You should just begin to see flow increasing in there as the stat opens which should be about 185 to 190F. As the engine continues to warm you should see vigorous flow begin about 200 to 210 meaning you're getting full radiator flow because the stat has fully opened.
If you see anything different you need a new stat

2006 Toyota Highlander (rare 4 cyl AWD)
2001 Toyota Highlander V6 AWD creampuff
Daughter got her own! 2005 Lexus ES330 Dream Ride

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to underthehood's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help underthehood reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
underthehood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 07:51 AM   #5
Duhminic

Quote:
Originally Posted by underthehood View Post
The ECTS does not make the engine itself "hotter" or "warm up" faster. It cannot (except one that is faulty may not turn on the fan at correct timing) but that is not was not your issue. All the ECTS does is report to the ECM what the engine coolant temp actually is and controlling the temp is the job of your thermostat.
What you're experiencing is the placebo effect. Like some people who swear their car rides smoother and quieter after you wax it.
The only thing that can really change the operating temp of your engine is the thermostat. You can do what I suggested and what I do is use an old fashioned meat thermometer or a deep fry/candy thermometer and drop that in the coolant tank. While you're doing this you can make some important observations. You can tell if and when your thermostat opens. You should just begin to see flow increasing in there as the stat opens which should be about 185 to 190F. As the engine continues to warm you should see vigorous flow begin about 200 to 210 meaning you're getting full radiator flow because the stat has fully opened.
If you see anything different you need a new stat
Thanks for the info! The thermostat has never been replaced and i need new coolant anyways, ill give replacing it a try and post back my results!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-15-2017, 10:55 AM   #6
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by underthehood View Post
The ECTS does not make the engine itself "hotter" or "warm up" faster. It cannot (except one that is faulty may not turn on the fan at correct timing) but that is not was not your issue. All the ECTS does is report to the ECM what the engine coolant temp actually is
Yep, this is what we were trying to explain in your other thread.

Your engine temperature is essentially the same before and after your ECTS change. The only difference is what you are seeing on the temp gauge, which was reading wrong before the change, but is now reading correctly after the change.

You'll also see better mpg - one of the things resulting from a bad ECTS is the PCM (computer) things the engine temp is still too cold (even though it might be at proper running temp) and think, "Hey, I need to add gas, run richer, and idle faster to warm the engine up faster"

And as noted, it will not turn your electric fan on, even when the engine is overheated, because it thinks the engine is still cold (and will show 1/4 on the gauge with a bad ECTS, even though coolant is boiling over)

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 12:23 AM   #7
Duhminic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
Yep, this is what we were trying to explain in your other thread.

Your engine temperature is essentially the same before and after your ECTS change. The only difference is what you are seeing on the temp gauge, which was reading wrong before the change, but is now reading correctly after the change.

You'll also see better mpg - one of the things resulting from a bad ECTS is the PCM (computer) things the engine temp is still too cold (even though it might be at proper running temp) and think, "Hey, I need to add gas, run richer, and idle faster to warm the engine up faster"

And as noted, it will not turn your electric fan on, even when the engine is overheated, because it thinks the engine is still cold (and will show 1/4 on the gauge with a bad ECTS, even though coolant is boiling over)
I want to say thanks to all who gave me advice! I changed out the thermostat and used a junkyard brass (I think) ECTS and now the car runs at about a tiny bit before 1/2 and sometimes 1/2 but never over! I assume this is operating temp?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-16-2017, 05:44 AM   #8
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to all

1995 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duhminic View Post
I want to say thanks to all who gave me advice! I changed out the thermostat and used a junkyard brass (I think) ECTS and now the car runs at about a tiny bit before 1/2 and sometimes 1/2 but never over! I assume this is operating temp?
That's the range you want. To test ECTS and fan function you can let the car sit while running until the fan comes on, somewhere in the 5/8 or so range on the gauge for your car. That way you know the automatic fan function is working so you won't overheat the car.

Alordofchaos is worthy and hides in shadows only to hone his S Series knowledge ninja skills. Swift, silent, trustworthy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote